Rivals of Aether

Rivals of Aether

Paper Mario
Phoba  [developer] 3 Nov, 2019 @ 5:07pm
Balance
ideas and things to look at

* Dash Attack
something I would like input/ideas on is dash-attack. It's very true to the animation (Hitting forward for only a few frames, and then back) but this can make it very frustrating if it whiffs when it seemingly shouldn't.
The original idea was to have it so that first forward hit would knock the opponent backwards into the second back hit. That second hit would angle the opponent straight above the ground, leaving them open to something like a ftilt.

though like i said, it seems it whiffs alot. Should I give it the treatment I gave D-Smash, where Mario spins rapidly rather than just once? If I do this, I'll make it a weak multihit - around 6-9 damage for the whole move perhaps.

* Mario's Size
I kind of don't understand this one? I don't know why there's alot of requests to resize him. If it's more of a gameplay problem, then maybe it would be an issue to me. Also, if I were to resize him, it would honestly be a lot of work. I would essentially be remaking the hitboxes for every move, as well as updating the sprites for everything. So this seems very unlikely.

*Partners
I tried sorting out the partners by "power" of their moves, but should I make the order based on range instead? It would be something like Bow>Parry>Vivian>Koops, since people see Koops as more useful than Vivian. It's alittle funny, as I expected that he would be more useful, so I gave him less damage and knockback as a result, but it still ended up being better than Vivian.

Last edited by Phoba; 4 Nov, 2019 @ 8:50pm
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Beardedyeti13 13 Dec, 2019 @ 9:17am 
look up adam caras playthrough of the charachter, everything just needs to be more sped up esentally and a way to aim the angle other then charging
Phoba  [developer] 13 Dec, 2019 @ 11:17am 
Originally posted by Beardedyeti13:
look up adam caras playthrough of the charachter, everything just needs to be more sped up esentally and a way to aim the angle other then charging
I looked at it the day it came out, sped up the charging and changed a lot of character. Here's a copy paste of most of the important change notes:

*Made his charge ALOT faster on Neutral B, Down B, and Side B. (Used to be 80 frames to reach the "Excellent". Now, it takes 50 frames.)
*You can now turn around once when charging a special.
*Up-Smash updated to a more quality attack, actually launching Mario.
*Fixed Up-Smash animations, added sounds.
* Up Air has a sweet spot now that can kill off of top at around 100~ percent.
* Up Smash has been buffed again to kill at around 100
* Forward Smash's angle has been adjusted
* Minor damage changes. Smashes have been put around the 10-ish percent.
* Down Smash becomes slower and does less damage at the second set of hammer sweeps.

About the angle, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean the hammer throw? He didn't mention anything about that in the video, and honestly, I think the hammer throw is fine how it is right now. Any other way would probably make it clunky, in my opinion.
Last edited by Phoba; 13 Dec, 2019 @ 11:28am
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 1530 50