Darkest Dungeon®

Darkest Dungeon®

Unleashing of the Kraken - New Enemy for the Cove
ootdega 27 Mar, 2019 @ 11:56am
Do not install this mod if you value your sanity.
This mod has no restraint or cohesion whatsoever.

Don't even think about starting a Champion dungeon with this mod enabled. You WILL regret it.

The Cove is designed to be tackled by Blight teams. The enemies are susceptible to Blight and are balanced so that priority targets can actually be prioritized.

This mod doesn't care about that. I'll explain by describing just two of the common monsters this mod adds. These are straight from the code whenever applicable, except for the spawn groups because I don't care enough to attempt to read it.

Blood Snail

>22 HP, -5 speed.
>Deals about 8 damage.
>Has 60% protection.
>Starts the battle with permanent riposte. How does a snail riposte? No ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ idea! :steamhappy:
>This riposte has +20% damage.
>This riposte applies a debuff of +35% stress damage.
>Its normal attack applies 18 stress damage. This stress damage appears to scale exponentially. Somehow.
>Its normal attack also applies 4 Bleed damage for 3 turns.
>Almost always spawns in pairs.
>Almost always spawns with at least one Ghost Pirate Mate.

Ghost Pirate Mate

>27 HP, 8 speed.
>Deals about 12 damage.
>Has 27.5 dodge. Dunno what's with the .5, as far as I know the game rounds down.
>Is completely immune to Bleed, Blight, Stun, and Move. 245% resistance.
>Its normal attack buffs itself for +10 Dodge.
>This buff stacks.
>This buff lasts the entire battle.
>Has another move that adds +40 dodge for 1 turn.
>Has a third move that applies 5 Horror damage for 3 turns.
>Always spawns with Groupers, Ghasts, or the aforementioned snails, and usually in pairs.

There is absolutely no way to keep up with this. If you prioritize the Ghost Pirates, you will take impossible amounts of stress from the snails or stupid amounts of damage from the Groupers. If you prioritize anything else, the Ghost Pirates will be practically, if not literally impossible to hit. And since it's immune to everything, it requires direct focus to kill. But since the Cove is designed for Blight damage, you're not going to have enough direct damage output to do that.

You can neither match nor manage the titanic maelstrom of damage and stress being thrown at you. I can't think of a single team that could come close to dealing with this.

And I fought them in the dark! :steamhappy:

Are you for real, ActionJack? Are you actually for real? Did you even playtest this? Jesus Christ. I'm all for a challenging enemy, I like figuring out how to beat them. But this isn't challenging. This is punishment. This is nonsense.
Last edited by ootdega; 27 Mar, 2019 @ 7:51pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
ootdega 27 Mar, 2019 @ 12:00pm 
Aaaaaand Steam's list formatting doesn't work properly. What a surprise.
Idioteque 26 Sep, 2019 @ 8:22pm 
I gotta agree
Raxus 19 Nov, 2019 @ 5:17pm 
lol thanks you just saved me from adding this to the game, a shame really
davidb11 25 Nov, 2019 @ 12:04pm 
Going into the Cove without good damage is a bad idea. What makes you think blight is the only way?

Yes, this mod has some significant design flaws, but it's not just the mod here.

Relying on only blight in the Cove is like trying to kill the Sodden Crew with a full party of Lepers. :P You're going to have a bad day hitting the Crew.

Last edited by davidb11; 25 Nov, 2019 @ 12:05pm
JurassicIan 29 Nov, 2019 @ 6:57pm 
Originally posted by davidb11:
Going into the Cove without good damage is a bad idea. What makes you think blight is the only way?

Yes, this mod has some significant design flaws, but it's not just the mod here.

Relying on only blight in the Cove is like trying to kill the Sodden Crew with a full party of Lepers. :P You're going to have a bad day hitting the Crew.
Also, the pirates actually get properly debuffed now. So they are MUCH easier to dispatch.
davidb11 29 Nov, 2019 @ 7:00pm 
I'm glad. I wonder if the bugs with not working debuffs were from a long time ago.
I knew this mod had a lot of problems. It's pretty old.

JurassicIan 29 Nov, 2019 @ 10:15pm 
I'm glad. I wonder if the bugs with not working debuffs were from a long time ago.
I knew this mod had a lot of problems. It's pretty old.
Thankfully, its being bugfixed. Look at the change notes. They are quite recent.
davidb11 30 Nov, 2019 @ 2:38am 
The Change notes didn't display anything for me at all when I looked at them.
THere's literally nothing in the change notes list at all. Just updates with no text.
Last edited by davidb11; 30 Nov, 2019 @ 2:38am
JurassicIan 30 Nov, 2019 @ 11:11am 
The Change notes didn't display anything for me at all when I looked at them.
THere's literally nothing in the change notes list at all. Just updates with no text.
Well the time says they were updated recently. Thats what I meant.
davidb11 30 Nov, 2019 @ 11:13am 
Ah. Well, let's hope it works much better for people now.
ootdega 5 Apr, 2020 @ 3:07pm 

As of the time I posted this, I had 220 hours in this game.

As of right now, I have 311 hours.

I know how it works.
davidb11 5 Apr, 2020 @ 3:54pm 
I don't know about that.
Regardless, this mod works now, and your complains about it have been fixed.

Again, no one relies only on blight for the Cove. That's not how it works in my experience, and with watching plenty of Let's plays.
Also, where have you been in the last six months?!
> download a hard mod
> don't git gud
> complain that it is hard

xd
ootdega 12 Apr @ 9:55pm 
Originally posted by Kubistonek:
> download a hard mod
> don't git gud

xd

There's a difference between "hard" and "completely unfair, unbalanced and unsolveable."

I have played and completed plenty of "hard" games and mods. Many of them are lauded as extremely difficult, but I never found them particularly hard at all. I doubt you could complete a lot of them yourself.

This mod is unwinnable, or at least it was at the time of writing. I haven't been able to get the game working after the .loc2 update that broke everything in the workshop. And frankly I don't care enough to check if there was an update. I strongly doubt it, though.

It wasn't made to be a difficult challenge, it was directly and exclusively made to win against the player 100% of the time. There is basically no way to win with the mechanics and tools available to the player. It straight-up cheats like a 5 year old playing with action figures. Absolutely zero restraint. And I am nowhere near the only person who felt this way. I wrote this to save other people from the same guaranteed permadeath I went through.

I get that the community of virtually all "difficult" games is full of meta-fellating tryhards who want to feel special, but maybe a bit of self-reflection is in order.
Last edited by ootdega; 12 Apr @ 9:57pm
Originally posted by ootdega:
Originally posted by Kubistonek:
> download a hard mod
> don't git gud

xd

There's a difference between "hard" and "completely unfair, unbalanced and unsolveable."

I have played and completed plenty of "hard" games and mods. Many of them are lauded as extremely difficult, but I never found them particularly hard at all. I doubt you could complete a lot of them yourself.

This mod is unwinnable, or at least it was at the time of writing. I haven't been able to get the game working after the .loc2 update that broke everything in the workshop. And frankly I don't care enough to check if there was an update. I strongly doubt it, though.

It wasn't made to be a difficult challenge, it was directly and exclusively made to win against the player 100% of the time. There is basically no way to win with the mechanics and tools available to the player. It straight-up cheats like a 5 year old playing with action figures. Absolutely zero restraint. And I am nowhere near the only person who felt this way. I wrote this to save other people from the same guaranteed permadeath I went through.

I get that the community of virtually all "difficult" games is full of meta-fellating tryhards who want to feel special, but maybe a bit of self-reflection is in order.

There are plenty of videos of people beating the Kraken.
You cannot claim it is unbeatable.
You cannot be taken seriously.
Thet has done it countless times, even without using 7 or 8 trinkets.
he's not the only one.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 1530 50