Space Engineers

Space Engineers

BlueG_Radar (stable; see description for news)
BlueGM  [developer] 6 Jan, 2015 @ 7:45am
How Do You Use This Mod?
Please let me know how you use the mod here. I'm curious to know because, as a developer, I like to write code that is useful to people. But, it isn't just simple curiosity. It also gives me an idea of what kinds of new features (or even new mods) are or are not useful.
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
cookiehunter 11 Jan, 2015 @ 2:36pm 
I found the time to clean up my code and uploaded a world with my torpedo design. I also said something about my aiming method. That got kinda out of control at some point :D But complicated things need a lot of words to explain... Anyway, here is the link: http://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=373716002
Lynnuxx 26 Jan, 2015 @ 1:06pm 
I'll try to enhance an existing ship which I intended to fly at the perimeter of the fleet for early warning.
My goal is to create GPS waypoints of targets for the faction which are constantly updated to make those targets also visible for the fleet.
In order to do that I have to calculate the absolute position of contacts. Since I assume that you're doing the inverse, calculating relative coordinates/vectors from absolute positions this will mean that if I succeed (or anyone else), a [radara] extension has to be created delivering the absolute coordinates. Because otherwise it's just a waste of CPU resources, calculating absolute coordinates in relative ones and back.
Lynnuxx 26 Jan, 2015 @ 1:10pm 
Alternatively instead of creating GPS waypoints which may spam the screen (especially if you have more radar-equipped ships doing that) a link to a command ship can be created (via beacons ?) which may sort and filter the contacts and use them internally and/or creates GPS waypoints.
BlueGM  [developer] 28 Jan, 2015 @ 2:01pm 
Hmmm... sounds like, first of all, you'd benefit from getting GPS coordinates instead of relative coordinates. I originally created the mod with only relative coordinates because GPS is a kind of funny concept in space and there was no way in the vanilla game to get the "GPS" (the game world) coordinates in game (the mod knew of them, but the player wouldn't know where they were in the game world). But, since Keen added GPS, it might be time to just do that.

Something else that has changed since I first created this mod is the creation of a text block. I'm hoping that Keen will add progmatic access to it. If so, then I plan on using it to report lists of targets in the next (alternate) version of this mod. By alternate, I mean that it will actually be a different mod, but the sucessor to this one.
Last edited by BlueGM; 28 Jan, 2015 @ 2:02pm
Lynnuxx 28 Jan, 2015 @ 3:38pm 
cookiehunter has done the math in his torp already: calculating LocalAxis in getGridData and calculating the absolute target position in getTarget. But I'm wondering if you can use the Orientation property of the sensor block directly to make this calculation easier. It's in the IMyCubeBlock. What I need now is the API for the GPS...
Lynnuxx 4 Mar, 2015 @ 7:35pm 
Here is my example of using this mod respectively a temporary modified version.

On a display the spherical coordinates are best (for pilots). They are the most intuitive but I realised that if you can't place the sensors in the same direction as the cockipt, you'll have to transform the angles. It is easier then to use the GPS coordinates with the calculation you do in the mod, especially if you want the spherical coordinates based on a turret instead of the sensor.
Currently this is more or less a demo with a lot of text-processing.
Last edited by Lynnuxx; 4 Mar, 2015 @ 7:53pm
Lynnuxx 8 Mar, 2015 @ 5:06pm 
Usage in my fighter-sized craft is as follows atm:
- Creating a list of all contacts found by all the scanning sensors
- Display the list on up to two textpanels using contact labels reflecting the sensor settings
- Select a target from the list. The selected target is tracked by a dedicated sensor cloning the scanning sensor with the target (could as well be the one on a torp connected to the ship).
- Lock the target by locking the tracking sensor
- Aiming a turret at the tracked/locked target with movement compensation (target leading) now that the API for turrets is available. The movement compensation was done with own calculations since the according API of the turret is currently bugged [1.072]

Adjusted and tested the movement compensation on the small ship gatling gun and the small ship autocannon turret.
In a quick test the autocannon turret hit a small block from 1000m while accelerating backwards (not too fast). Accelerating forwards the target was missed by ca. 1m.
The code for the movement compensation is simple, I can post it in the forums if there's interest. Atm. people seem not to be very interested in this though.

Disadvantages:
- You may hit your own craft since the turret doesn't stop firing at the target if your own craft is in between (in contrary to the AI).
- You can shoot at friendlies now and if the target switches you may hit something you don't want (currently I have no filter excluding friendly/neutral targets from target selection).

Possible improvments:
It would be maybe better to sort targets according their appearance instead of their distance or to give them a label with consecutive numbering to avoid unintended target switching.

Awesome mod, BlueG !
Last edited by Lynnuxx; 9 Mar, 2015 @ 12:48pm
jminerkey 6 Aug, 2015 @ 10:13pm 
I'm trying to make a custom (rotors) turret, using your mod as a fire control radar.
It's not really working at the moment, though not because of your mod-that works fine.
imivi 12 Sep, 2015 @ 12:33pm 
I made a script that uses this mod. http://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516792514

It's a gun fire control system, used to aim multiple guns at a target with the proper convergence and deflection.

By the way, this is easily the best radar mod I've found on the workshop. Great job.
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Per page: 1530 50