Garry's Mod

Garry's Mod

gm_cyan_dreampools
Cyan  [developer] 14 Apr @ 12:30pm
Q&A
Q: I found a missing texture or model, can you fix it?
A: Send a screenshot and I will update with a fix

Q: Jumpscares?
A: Mostly no, it requires specific circumstances and there's no screamers

Q: Are there any monsters / enemies?
A: No monsters or enemies, it's mostly an immersive exploration map with some stuff to find. unless you placed them or someone else or another workshop upload is f***ing with you. But there are mostly harmless events.

Q: What's the awful squealing sound?!
A: It's when you or someone else does something the map doesn't like. Maybe you need to uncover more stuff or stop goofing off. (But also it's a HL2 beta reference or a reference to something weird in HL2 retail)

Q: Can I play this with VR Mod?
A: Yes! It should work

Q: Why is the download so huge?
A: All required content including a lot of custom content is packed in, including technically an entire track of music I made splitting each "instrument" into separate uncompressed .wav files, I'm pretty sure Source can't play multiple .mp3 files at the same time so it's unlikely there is a way to get around this without removing a big part of the interactivity of the map.

Q: Do I need a beast of a PC to run this?
A: Probably not, it ran at over 100fps everywhere on a GTX 1650 / Intel Processor 300 system

Q: Why are there no railings in the L-shaped void area?
A: Vertex limit, but you could also pretend it's intentional for that delicious OSHA non-compliance

Q: What's the deal with these small glowing diamonds?
A: They are "stems" of a piece of drone music I made, if you put them all in the same place you are supposed to get the full experience of the track and can bring parts in and out as you wish. But ambient_generic is the only option and seems to be very janky and inconsistent as far as playing sound all the time, at least in gmod

Q: Why did you rip off the dreampools/poolrooms/Jared Pike/any video, game or render involving pools?
A: It's not supposed to be a rip off, but if after I put all the effort into this, that's all you see, then likely nothing I can say or do will convince you otherwise

Q: Can you put more slides in?
A: No, slides take up a lot of the limit I am already very close to hitting, so I would have to remove entire rooms (and probably create dead ends) to fit them

Q: How / was the map planned?
A: It wasn't. When creating 3D spaces whether that's a Garry's Mod map or a Space Engineers ship, I rarely plan anything. So early on this map was just sprawling outwards, and later it was like a puzzle as I tried to fit all the dead ends together into something continuous, while staying within the Source engine limits

Q: How long did this take to make?
A: A very focused month and a half

Q: Will you make the map bigger? / Will the map be updated? / Will there be a sequel map? / Can you add rideable water slides?
A: Not really possible without finding a way around Source engine limits, and I don't have enough ideas for a sequel that couldn't be bigger anyway

Q: When will you release another map?
A: I don't know, I work on a lot of other stuff besides maps, including a full time job and other stuff I do work to get paid for. This might even be my last map release.

Q: I found a lighting problem on some stairs, will you fix it?
A: I noticed some of these coming up once the map got large, I don't know a way to resolve them without making the map smaller.

Q: Will you work on a map with me?
A: Very unlikely

Q: Will you help me with my mod?
A: Maybe if you have a substantial amount of work done on it and aren't afraid of boundaries (so probably no)
No one makes mods for Source anymore anyway, at least not ones where the environmental design experience isn't just "prop_static placement simulator"

Q: Can I edit the map?
A: I would really prefer if you didn't, anyway this is right up against Source limits, so you wouldn't be able to add anything substantial without taking something away elsewhere. So editing the map is mostly going to be pointless.
Last edited by Cyan; 14 Apr @ 12:56pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
will you come over here and kiss me on my hot mouth cause im feelin romantical...?
??? 15 Apr @ 7:38pm 
WHY does the map look purple
??? 15 Apr @ 7:39pm 
and how do I make It look normal
Cyan  [developer] 16 Apr @ 12:22am 
I may know what it is
  • Do you have Half-Life 2 Episode 2?
  • Please link a screenshot either way as that could save me a lot of time guessing and trying wrong things to fix it
oslo03 16 Apr @ 11:46am 
has anybody found out how to get into that piperoom?
Cyan  [developer] 16 Apr @ 12:50pm 
It's safe to just noclip into. it was going to be an in-between point from the "well" and the dev room (literally a liminal space), but I never bothered to finish it or remove it.
??? 17 Apr @ 10:11pm 
and the purple? because its not missing textures it just has a purple tint to it and it hurts to look at.
Cyan  [developer] 18 Apr @ 9:09am 
Originally posted by ???:
and the purple? because its not missing textures it just has a purple tint to it and it hurts to look at.

I replied to your first comment here, please send a screenshot otherwise I won't know where to even start with solving the problem
??? 19 Apr @ 8:51pm 
the only way i can make it look normal https://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3227222195
??? 19 Apr @ 8:53pm 
and looking through two screens just looks stupid
Cyan  [developer] 20 Apr @ 12:17am 
That is the intended appearance of the map, your second link is not working but you can turn it off by putting mat_colorcorrection 0 in the console
And here I was thinking you had problems with cubemaps or the detail textures somehow, because that can cause things to look purple
Last edited by Cyan; 20 Apr @ 12:17am
I cant seem to find the jump scare. Where is it?
Cyan  [developer] 28 Apr @ 12:29am 
Originally posted by Shivwiggits:
I cant seem to find the jump scare. Where is it?
There are 3 places that you have a chance to see the shadow figure. You have to be standing very close to where it spawns, when it spawns, to trigger the "jumpscare", otherwise if you are only in a place where it has a clear line of sight to you/you to it, it will silently despawn within 0.5 seconds.
The shadow figure spawns in any of the 3 spots randomly after 5 minutes of the map starting, and will wait forever until visible to any player before disappearing. After disappearing, it will appear at one of the other 2 spots after 3 minutes. When seen there it will appear at the last of the 3 spots after 3 minutes. After being triggered to disappear there, nothing else related happens.
Spawn locations: Edge of the abyss with the tree; a dark, narrow blue-tiled staircase between the top floor and the floor with the corridor from the workshop icon, the one that has a windy cramped room with more stairs at the bottom; and in the basement maze, right in the middle, the same place as one of the crystal spawns.
If you put showtriggers_toggle in the console, among other triggers you will be able to see the areas that trigger the despawn and the jumpscare within those.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 1530 50