Garry's Mod

Garry's Mod

gm_cyan_dreampools
CUBEMAP INFORMATION
This is a followup to a comment on the main page:

Okay, so I've gone through the process of decompiling the .gma, unsubscribing on my client, loading the entire map and its contents into a folder named "gm_cyan_dreampools" and cut that into my clients addons folder. I Opened the map with mat_specular 1 on, at this point there appear to be no cubemaps effects. I run buildcubemaps, it completes successfully, map reloads, i can see cubemap effects properly. I compress the gm_cyan_dreampools folder into a .zip with windows and upload it to my server. I delete the uncompressed map folder from my addons folder. Unpack it inside the server while the server is stopped, removed all related workshop collection information as well as removed the map from the servers collection workshop page. Started the server, server appears to load map successfully. I join server and get the "Map missing" error. I have FastDL syncing enabled on the server with a (net_maxfilesize) 500mb max file download limit. (I'm unsure if source engine/gmod even allows us to change this value above 30.) I resubscribed to the map on my client and rejoined the server and was given "map differs from server".

After trying the above, i reloaded the map in single-player just as the subscribed workshop map and not decompiled, I ran buildcubemaps and was given "maps/gm_cyan_dreampools.bsp is not writable!!! Check it out before running buildcubemaps."

So if i had to take a wild guess without any real knowledge about how the workshop handles maps with cubemap files or .bsps containing cubemap information. Id have to say for some reason the cubemap is being blocked or broken before and or after uploading the map to the workshop. Or perhaps the information is not being placed into the .bsp correctly before the upload process. (Not a insult<3)
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Cyan  [developer] 19 May @ 9:44am 
I read this a few times, either I don't understand fully or just don't know how to solve this. But it sounds like you put a lot of effort into fixing the problem and writing that up so I respect that.

I don't know that much about running servers, but from what I understand your server was actually running the workshop version? So now you tried to use FastDL with a .bsp which you manually generated cubemaps for, but it seems like the maximum download file size limit will not change?

FWIW I also got the "map differs from server" message when I tried to connect to the server, I had to unsubscribe from my own map to be able to download the one on your server lol.

I'm not sure for sure how to move forward from here but here's a couple of things to consider:
- Is there a workshop cache folder somewhere that gets used for dedicated servers? Perhaps the first version of the map the server downloaded from the workshop had broken cubemaps after all and I don't remember that ever being the case. If this were the case it would explain not only why cubemaps are not working but if the server isn't grabbing the new version for some reason if it sees a cached download of the .gma as the latest
- It's a shame to not have working cubemaps as the reflections on the railings are a good aesthetic highlight on many places in the map, but if cubemaps are broken when you use FastDL anyway then it's probably better for your players to just use the workshop version for a faster download... Probably, idk for sure

I don't know why the "map is not writeable" error would happen, that's bizarre as heck.
Sorry I couldn't give any better advice but this is kind of out of my depth :(
Nulexy 19 May @ 10:38am 
For the server, I can add the map to the workshop collection and the server will automatically download and install the map once i restart it. If i remove it from the collection it should remove all its contents once it restarts again.

I deleted the servers cache folder contents and tried this whole process from scratch again. I got pretty much the same result.

What kinda makes my brain hurt is how when you first joined you got an error when the server was just using the workshop collection method. I have no idea why that would be. When i had a friend join before all of this conversation a few days before he was able to join without an issue and he was subscribed to the map through the workshop.

At this point I'm kinda stumped. Sorry I couldn't help myself here or advance this issue to being fixed. If i come up with something that fixes this I will update this. Or if you find something you want me to try out Id be happy to help.

Lastly, I like the map a ton, a lot of care was put into it, that's kinda why i cared so much to try fixing that issue.
Cyan  [developer] 26 May @ 2:25pm 
Ok, I worked out the problem, it was my fault all along. Somehow I uploaded a version of the map with no cubemaps. I think what happened was, I compiled the map, loaded it, built cubemaps, disconnected, recompiled the map, and loaded the map without restarting the game so the game loaded cubemaps from the old version of the map and I didn't notice during testing.

If you use the workshop version of the map on your server now, cubemaps should work fine.

So sorry for the inconvenience and trouble you went through trying to fix this, and thank you so much for the effort you put into that and for the positive words about the map.
Nulexy 26 May @ 2:49pm 
That's awesome!, I just tried it and It's working on the server.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50