Don't Starve Together

Don't Starve Together

Craft Menu Tweak
Godless  [developer] 27 Mar, 2022 @ 8:36am
What would you like to see in mod?
I have a couple of ideas, but I would like to know in advance whether it is necessary to spend time adding.
So I'm ready to listen to your suggestions, don't offer to return the old menu
Last edited by Godless; 22 Apr, 2022 @ 3:21pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Mink 8 Apr, 2022 @ 7:15pm 
well, if you could make it so we could revert the QOL back to the old crafting UI im sure many people would use it lol. (prob not what your asking for here tho)
Soturno 11 Apr, 2022 @ 9:51pm 
When you are looking for an item in the new menu, the letters still trigger mod shortcuts. Can you make it so that when you're searching for something in the filter, the mod shortcuts don't work?
Godless  [developer] 12 Apr, 2022 @ 5:27am 
Ah, I understand you, yes, it pisses me off a little too. but I have not seen an option anywhere to limit it somehow. most likely this should be done by the creators of mods. adding check is_searching
Soturno 12 Apr, 2022 @ 10:32am 
Originally posted by Godless:
Ah, I understand you, yes, it pisses me off a little too. but I have not seen an option anywhere to limit it somehow. most likely this should be done by the creators of mods. adding check is_searching
Oh, i get it...
0xF741B84C 22 Apr, 2022 @ 12:07pm 
I really love the Tab feature you've recently added. I would like to see an option that would make it so the pinned column stay in place whenever the crafting menu will open. Let's say I miss-clicked a tab and since the menu now has opened I have to move my cursor to the right to click the tab I wanted instead of just correcting the cursor position a bit. It would be a qol and would make it easier to go/search through the tabs.
I would also like to be able to close the menu by clicking on the same tab that is opened in the crafting menu.

Cheers.
Godless  [developer] 22 Apr, 2022 @ 2:36pm 
Originally posted by 0xF741B84C:
I really love the Tab feature you've recently added. I would like to see an option that would make it so the pinned column stay in place whenever the crafting menu will open. Let's say I miss-clicked a tab and since the menu now has opened I have to move my cursor to the right to click the tab I wanted instead of just correcting the cursor position a bit. It would be a qol and would make it easier to go/search through the tabs.
I would also like to be able to close the menu by clicking on the same tab that is opened in the crafting menu.

Cheers.
it seems possible to make the tab not move to the side, but the question is that it will not look very nice. and to close, you can simply move the mouse to the side and right-click on the ground with the mouse or press the c button
Godless  [developer] 22 Apr, 2022 @ 2:48pm 
Last edited by Godless; 22 Apr, 2022 @ 2:49pm
Godless  [developer] 22 Apr, 2022 @ 3:20pm 
but if users approve of this, although not very beautiful, then I will add this option without any problems
0xF741B84C 23 Apr, 2022 @ 9:12am 
https://imgur.com/mYGDfNQ.png
look this
Exactly how I would imagine it, great work!

but if users approve of this, although not very beautiful, then I will add this option without any problems
That is why I suggest to make it as an toggleable option in the mod config menu so the player can choose based on their preferences. Having options never hurt and the more customizable a mod is the better it is, at least in my book! :)

For the closing thing, I like how the old menu behaved.
If you wanted to quick-check what you can craft straightaway, you just clicked desired tab, scan it with eyes and with another click you could close it without additional mouse movement. You could argue that you can now close it with the C button, but why? When you open it with the mouse, you should be able to close it as easily with it. I think this feature would be great in combination with the stationary tab if you decide to add it in. The old menu also allowed you to close itself by just moving the cursor somewhere in to the middle of screen without a need to right click, which, when I now think about it, is the feature that I miss the most.

I see a big potential in your mod that it can fix and bring back lot of conveniences that has been lost with the recent changes to the crafting menu. Your mod already does a Gods work in fixing lot of problems but I believe that it can be pushed to near perfection with time. I hate when game developers/designers make changes to the fundamentals without thinking of and preserving the little things that were making it feel so good to use in the first place. The only two good things that came out of this are the searcher bar (which is kinda useless for me since I have memorized where things are) and (maybe) better navigation with controllers. Maybe it was needed for the controller players, but it somewhat (NOT completely) butchered keyboard/mouse experience imo. I just wish they made that toggleable in options rather than making players like myself to rely on mods to fix it.

Sorry for my ted talk... but I get a little inflame when I get to think how the new menu is so inefficient compare to the old one. I know you're just a human being as I am and you presumably mod in your free time, so no worries if you decide to not add those features. I wish I could help you improving the mod, but I have no experience in modding and not at all in lua. If you would consider the "closing" function, if this might help you to implement that, the very first button that changes its look based on nearby science stations kinda does this behavior.

Good luck, and thank you for considering!
Last edited by 0xF741B84C; 23 Apr, 2022 @ 9:28am
Godless  [developer] 23 Apr, 2022 @ 9:44am 
Originally posted by 0xF741B84C:
Good luck, and thank you for considering!
Okay, I'll add a setting in the next update if there is something else interesting, and I think that closing the menu by clicking again on the filter icon will be annoying, because I can very often click several times on the icon and would not want it to close, it's easier to move the mouse away a couple of pixels to the right and right click or press the button
inermage 28 Jun, 2022 @ 9:57am 
Hello, i have an idea to add a setting "old craft menu", i think many people will download this mod of this function. I understand you are human, sorry if it sound bad, if you can't make it - it's okay, i don't have expirience in modding, but had a bit expirience with scripting on lua. Wish you luck
Godless  [developer] 28 Jun, 2022 @ 2:38pm 
TheNescafe, I myself would not refuse, but it will cause a lot of problems and even if it is possible, I do not know how to do it. If it were possible, it would have been done a long time ago. But alas, there is only such a solution that does not bring the new menu much closer to the old one.
TinyTeaTime 14 Jul, 2022 @ 8:57pm 
Hello! Would it be possible to add keybindings for navigating the menu? In the old UI it was possible to use the arrow keys and enter key to craft items and I haven't been able to find anything similar for the new menu.
DoomRanger 29 Jun, 2023 @ 6:24am 
I would love to see a feature I have wanted for the longest time!

Basically, I want to be able to type in an item (grass, twigs, nightmare fuel etc) and recipes that either have that name or contain the item I am searching will be listed in the menu.

For example, I search Straw Hat, the first thing it will display is the straw hat, then next it will display the rain hat which in this case, contains straw hat in its recipe.

Another example would be searching grass, then rope and other recipes containing cut grass will appear

Someone appears to recently have made an awesome mod that does just that, cant believe it took 5 years for someone to do it but its amazing! However, that mod uses a separate UI and is more for information not so much for the actual crafting, it acts more like a wiki than a menu.

Hoping you would be able to integrate this concept into the crafting menu itself!

Even better would be the ability to stand near an alchemy engine and clicking on an item in your inventory then all recipes will pop up, this omits the need to even search up the item's potential recipes!
Godless  [developer] 30 Jun, 2023 @ 12:29am 
I will try to see what I can do with it, and maybe in addition, after a while I will make a link to the wiki (in the game itself) that was added recently.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Per page: 1530 50