Cities: Skylines

Cities: Skylines

Barges (Cargo Ferries)
BraccX 19 Aug, 2021 @ 6:09am
Barges don't spawn after the game has restarted
Situation: several harbors connected by ferry paths. Barges spawn consistently and transport goods between the barge harbors. Game is saved. Game is stopped to desktop. Then the game is restarted and the map loaded. The barges that were active are still there and deliver their goods to the next harbor. Then they disappear. No new barges spawn anymore.

Related assets: only the standard barge harbor by BloodyPenguin is used. Standard barges as well as the 3 extra push convoys in https://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2550772905.

Extra info: The paths for the barges cross other ferry paths but don't intersect. The ferry paths used by the barges are accessible for barges exclusively.

Workaround: After the game starts I remove one piece of the path next to the barge harbor and place it again. That seems to trigger the harbor because immediately you can see trucks spawn from industry buildings in the vicinity to deliver stuff to the harbor. A short while later a barge spawns. I have to do this for every barge harbor.

This didn't happen to me for a whole while. But since recently it happens consistently after every load of the map. Not sure why though or what changed.

Feel free to comment or add your own experiences if you have the same issue.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
zubozrout 10 Sep, 2021 @ 8:25am 
I am afraid I can confirm this. Have seen it a few times and was wondering if perhaps using Touch it! to replace the road could break things but sadly even if I don't do this no longer works after a game reload.
My barges don't even spawn at all. Even though trucks deliver goods, ferry paths are connected, everything seems to be working, but no barges spawn
Zem Prefect 25 Sep, 2021 @ 9:20pm 
This exact thing just happened to me, with the barges inexplicably no longer working between game loads. Earlier play, massive barge use between islands. After saving then later loading the save zero barge use, instead trucks use the extremely long road I put in basically to allow busses to get over. I tried breaking the road and still no barge use, even though it was now the only way out of the area. This kills the industrial area, as there are no buyers for what is produced. The nearby ferry is working fine.
Zem Prefect 25 Sep, 2021 @ 10:12pm 
I reloaded the save (after restarting my computer, just in case) and looked at the barge harbor. After driving there delivery trucks would leave and then pull a 270 and head out over the water, showing as full. Barges would pull up, unload, and then disappear. I had already tried deleting and then replacing the barge harbor, which didn't fix it.
BraccX 26 Sep, 2021 @ 7:31am 
@jallan Try breaking the barge path and rebuild it again (one section is enough). Works for me. But maybe yours is a different issue.
owen 28 Sep, 2021 @ 9:47am 
I have had this happen too for the first time, was fine playing 26/9/21, not ok 27/9/21. I will try breaking the path. All I can think is I purchased an extra square the time I was playing 26/9/21, maybe this broke things on reload. I had used move it mod to get ferry route across squares I don't own. The only other thing is I think maybe Enhanced outside connections mod updated between those games.

The barges mod is great! Added a whole new level to the game when playing maps with Islands. Would love to see it work for garbage

owen 3 Oct, 2021 @ 6:35am 
I deleted the last barge harbour I placed and everything started up. It only had one side connected not sure if that is a problem. Rebuilt with an in/out loop and all good so far
BraccX 4 Oct, 2021 @ 11:24am 
Originally posted by owen:
I deleted the last barge harbour I placed and everything started up. It only had one side connected not sure if that is a problem. Rebuilt with an in/out loop and all good so far
Let me try that... who knows. I have a few with one side connected.
BraccX 10 Oct, 2021 @ 7:29am 
Equipping all 8 harbors with a loop didn't make a difference.
StBonifaz 12 Nov, 2021 @ 11:58am 
I have the same problem. Worked fine in the begining, then after some reload I have not seen a barge ever since. Had 5 Harbors, all connected to the ferry network. Tried to delete lines to some of the harbors and reconect, but it did not change anything.
_KC76_ 24 Nov, 2021 @ 2:22pm 
Kinda surprised that in the 2 plus months this has been an issue, the Authors have yet to even address or acknowledge the problem...
It's Tommy Tune! 1 Dec, 2021 @ 7:37pm 
Yes, this has happened to me consistently. It's not always the first save and reload, though. A recent city lasted three save-and-loads and then Barges failed. I just tried breaking and remaking the pathways and it doesn't seem to have worked.

The barges are the only connections for goods to several islands in my city.

Note that this followed a housecleaning of all my mods and assets as well.
Last edited by It's Tommy Tune!; 1 Dec, 2021 @ 7:38pm
It's Tommy Tune! 1 Dec, 2021 @ 7:48pm 
I've also noticed by watching Barge Harbors after the mod fails that they have some non-zero amount of product in the warehouse portion of the asset, and it "flickers" to another value for a split second, then back to what it was. For example, I'm watching one now, and it's maybe 5 seconds steady at 9/350 tons of Petroleum, then it flickers briefly to 3/350 tons, then back to 9/300 tons. It does this steadily, while not spawning any barges.
Last edited by It's Tommy Tune!; 1 Dec, 2021 @ 7:48pm
I am wishing to BloodyPenguin relaxation, concentration, and many supporters.
Zem Prefect 7 Jan, 2022 @ 9:19am 
It seems to break on every load from save. I've found that remaking the ferry/barge path right into the barge harbor with one way paths seems to restore functionality. You don't need to delete the entire path, just where it connects into the barge harbor. It's a pain, but only takes a few minutes depending on how many barge harbors you're using. So far this has worked after two playing sessions, saves, and then starting up again.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
Per page: 1530 50