Total War: WARHAMMER II

Total War: WARHAMMER II

Pierce's Better Sieges
Deviant 18 Jul, 2021 @ 7:56pm
Suggestions
1) Prevent bots from building more than 2 rams.
The reasons:
1.1) If there are more battering rams than gates on the map, then the bot leads an extra battering ram and its crew under meaningless shelling until the rest of the battering rams break the gates.
1.2) Why do I propose to make the limit not 3 rams for the bot, but 2? Indeed, the game has a siege map with three gates. But in the game itself, these three-gate maps will make up 15% of all siege maps. Moreover, in the game, 100% of the factions have monsters or cavalry. So on a map with three gates, the third gate will always be broken by monsters or cavalry.
2) Increase the amount of HP at the siege towers.
Reason:
2.1) T-1 defense towers (with the player's grammar control) are capable of destroying up to THREE siege towers. In most maps it is possible to destroy two, but in some maps it is possible to destroy three.
3) I propose to slightly increase the firing range of the defense towers. from 185-275-400-475 to 200-300-400-500.
The reasons:
3.1) T-1 defense towers (185m) are not capable of fighting ... long-range ARCHERS. Let me remind you that 99% of long-range archer units have a range limit of 200m, which they easily reach in the middle of the game.
3.2) Upgrading to T-2 towers are useless even for the cheapest and not long-range artillery under player control. I understand that artillery must fire at fortresses from a safe distance. But in the current situation, the T-2 defense tower in the context of the increased firing range against artillery ... USELESS (Except for the bastiladon with a crossbow on its back with an initial range of 240m).
3.3) Empire, Dwarfs, Chaos, Vampires-pirates can easily shoot more than 475m - that is, they can easily fire at T-4 from a safe distance. By increasing the firing range of the T-4 defense towers to from 475m to 500m, you will make available the safe shelling of the T-4 defense only for unique weapons (for example, the Queen Bess or the Hellstorm Rocket Battery, for which the firing range can be increased to 600)
3.4) The reason why the range of fire of the defense towers should be exactly 200-300-400-500m.
Most ranged spells of abilities, unique ranged lords have range, unique units, range and maximum range are limited to 200-300-400-500. Example: Alit Anar's range - maximum firing range 300m, fireball -300 m, maximum firing range of a servant - 200m, steam tank - maximum firing range - 400. AND MANY other units, abilities, spells, etc. That is, if you make the range of defensive towers 200-300-400-500, then the effectiveness of defensive structures will increase against all long-range abilities, units, and spells. And it will be much more difficult and more interesting for the player to take the capitals of the factions, because they have tower levels built into the main building. Otherwise, in the current situation, it is very easy to capture the capital cities with T-1, T-2, T-3 defensive towers. (And for the Empire, Dwarves, Chaos and vampire pirates, it is easy to take even capitals with T-4 defensive towers)
P.S.
Anyway - thanks for the mod!
If Google translator has translated something incomprehensibly, then do not hesitate to ask me again!
Last edited by Deviant; 18 Jul, 2021 @ 8:04pm
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
piercebuster  [developer] 21 Jul, 2021 @ 12:06pm 
Hi Deviant, thank you for the feedback.

I will address your points:

1) I cannot limit bots from building rams unless I also limit the player from building rams.
2) Remember that anything I do to make it harder for the player to defend, makes it even harder for the computer to defend. Since the player is on offense more than defense, I prioritized the offense play experience. If I increase the HP of siege towers too much it becomes too easy to attack.
However I think you might be right and they could use a little buff. I am increasing their speed 5%, HP 6%, and the amount of damage they prevent of projectiles hitting the troops inside from 75% to 90%.
3) No. I want units to outrange the towers at specific levels.
MichaelGFI 21 Jul, 2021 @ 1:37pm 
Let me just thank the both of you, I found these proposals and the responses to be really interesting and well thought out. I wish more mods had this kind of open discussion.
Deviant 21 Jul, 2021 @ 8:03pm 
3) I'll just give an example:
Recently I played for WE and in the middle of the game I occupied Breton cities with T-1 defense without loss of fighters (Bretons have a LOT of cities with T-1 defense - after all, they have T-1 defense in minor cities). I just shot the garrisons of the city with impunity with my lords and Waywathers, which has an initial firing range of 190 ... After which the Bretons simply surrendered ...
The Breton bot does not go to attack, as it sits on the defensive and thinks that its protective towers will force the player to attack, but the protective towers do not fulfill their function ... And the bot just stands 10 minutes under fire ...
I want to say that for some factions it is now more profitable to fight against an enemy T-1 defense than an open field ... Which is absurd from a game design point of view. It's a huge hole in the balance!
This problem can be solved by setting the range of 200-300-400-500 at the defense towers. And of course, if you decide to increase the firing range of the defense towers, you will have to strengthen the siege towers and battering rams. Well, or weaken other characteristics of defensive towers. In general, a rebalance will be needed ...
piercebuster  [developer] 22 Jul, 2021 @ 7:39am 
Welcome to sieges: a defining trait of historical sieges is being able to pummel the enemy from a distance if you have the right weapons!

Waywatchers are a Tier 4 unit in a race that doesn't have access to artillery. I intentionally made them have just-barely more range than the Tier 1 towers so that Wood Elves have the option to "siege" unprepared defenders. If you don't want to fight that way, you don't have to. That's up to you. :)

I do agree with the problem that the AI won't sally out to attack - even though real-life forces usually didn't, too. Unfortunately I can't change that. I also agree that some battles are easier for the attacker because of this, but CA doesn't provide access to all the programming for me to change everything how I'd like. I have to work within the possibilities of what I do have access to. Better Sieges isn't Perfect Sieges. But I like this problem a lot more than the previous meta strategy of "corner camping".
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50