A Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

A Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Shieldwall Overhaul: + THE POPULATION UPDATE
Mazza 13 Feb, 2022 @ 2:01am
Can you Actually Win as Gwined or Sudreyar ?
Has anyone been able to play as Sudreyar or Gwined and actually have a decent game let alone win ?

No mods at all and followed the medium sized unit's. I've played at least 40 campaigns for each.

As Gwined no matter what you do Powis always declares war on Mierce (only the 2nd highest ranked military faction at the start with 2x12 stack armies) ....... nothing TOO hard right. Or you can break the alliance sit back and watch Mierce just roflstomp Powis and any other Welsh faction that dares to join Powis after which suddenly because you're also Welsh they decide to roflstomp you. Game over by turn 40.

You can't even build an army greater than 8 units otherwise lmfao food shortage for 15 turns and uprising galore and even if you don't build an army and just take out the rebels at the start you still end up with -10 to -20 food production so you have to disband 2 or 4 units so you're left with 2 to 4 units in your main army. Meanwhile Mierce continues on its roflstomp and you can only sit there and hit end turn because even your income is pitiful and not enough to actually build anything OR negotiate anything with other leaders ..... they all find everything ..... INSULTING.

Heck I even tried sailing for Dyflin and take out the central island on my way there. Awesome got another whole province to increase food and income. Rofl nope Mierce decides to invade your home province cause roflstomp you're welsh and Powis decided to go toe to toe with the mighty beast with their awesome 4 unit army stack.

Or Dyflin launches a 16 stack army and just blockades you on the island ...... like as if your 8 unit army has a chance in hell. You might manage to beat it in one skirmish and get a short reprisal BUT nope here they come with another 10 unit stack while the other army just sits back and raids or sails away to replenish.

OR you can break the alliance when Powis asks for your help to join their war against Mierce (lol did Powis's leader go on a massive bender the balls on this guy) play super conservative and not do anything and just hit end turn and accumulate income. Mierce might attack you or they might not depends if they want to have some mercy on the Welsh nations (pun intended). BUT by the time you have a sizeable army (I'm talking 12-16 units) they already have 2x20 and at least anther 2x16.

Also god forbid you ever press auto resolve because lol your 14 unit stack army will always lose to a 6 unit army because lol your units are dumb (if you manage to get lucky and survive that long).

How broken is this ? Oh I forgot about Sudreyar ........ meh its even worse you might as well just bend over and pull your pant's down.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
DrunkFlamingo  [developer] 13 Feb, 2022 @ 5:33am 
Yeah multiple people on our discord have beat Gwined on legendary.

You could come ask them. Link is in the mod description.

Sudreyjar is unfinished.
Mazza 14 Feb, 2022 @ 4:54am 
Originally posted by Clipped Flamingo:
Yeah multiple people on our discord have beat Gwined on legendary.

You could come ask them. Link is in the mod description.

Sudreyjar is unfinished.

Oh thank you so much, I've been trying all sorts of weird things to try and survive as Gwined on legendary.

Installing Windows 11 ghost spectre as I type this so will jump on in the next few hours or tomorrow morning :)
Bread 12 Jul, 2022 @ 5:52am 
Its one of the hardest factions to start with, but once you get some momentum its smooth sailing. Im playing Gwined rn, and the most important thing to do early game is focus on food production, staying out of war with Mercia until you conquer more of wales, and stability at home. Never let anyone have higher influence than your king, that will save you from a civil war.
Shico 30 Aug, 2022 @ 1:39pm 
Yes it is ok to win by Gwined on vh/legend.
When I started to play - I dream of hordes of archers, but elite archers get soooooo late, so I win all game by ordinare spearmen / levy archers / axemen.
At the start my ally declare war on Mierce and I join to battle. Than stay away whyle ally siege the City and my ally was repelled. So Mierce start to raid land of Powis, while I get some land of Mierce untile I get normal army. After that all wars was easy.
Try to have 2 - 3 generals without army and some years after turn them to general with 4-5 units to get villages under protection of garriosons (Ireland and some east England counties).
There is bug in game - there was not third invasion (from the north west), so ultimate victory is unachievable.

Have fun!
caligero3000 4 Aug, 2023 @ 7:45pm 
I once did it on hard difficulty. Basically, I just played nice with my allies for a bit and when the moment was right, I back-stabbed the hell out of them and took their lands and womenfolk. After that, I usually just use spear men for early game and mid-game, that's usually enough to get a good amount of land. I also try and make my empire a pretty large blob of land as early on as I can, since that instills enough fear in the other kingdoms to not attack me in the back or something, while I go through the list of the other kingdoms in my path.
Wilczak 14 Feb @ 2:28pm 
I'm just finishing up my Sudreyar campaign as my first ever playthrough of Thrones. I deliberately chose to go with Shieldwall mod, though my initial campaign difficulty was normal. It was still a slow and challenging start as Sudreyar just trying to balance yeah food, public order, and needing armies all while getting used to Shieldwall features. While I made a personal goal to form coalitions with all other Viking factions, a Viking faction kept spawning from the west and instantly declaring war on me. So I had to juggle that. But eventually I defeated them enough that they stopped spawning. Allying with the two other viking factions in Northern Scotland and just being a sea or distance-based faction is extremely useful and I took area first in Northern England, then with my Viking allies we divided up Scotland. It was feeling easy so I turned the difficulty from Normal to Hard. Then I moved south, taking Welsh territory, hopped over to Ireland. I am definitely the reigning power across the Isles but it took a lot of turns and technological development was completed a long time ago to remotely make it work. That is, in order to actually field armies and keep people happy and fed. Really enjoyable. Currently mopping up a Norman/Norse invasion in England, taking all Norman territory pretty easily because I luckily wasn't declared war on by the Norse yet. I'm going to play as Sudreyar faction again on Legendary someday. Can't speak to it being doable on that difficulty yet.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 1530 50