Total War: SHOGUN 2

Total War: SHOGUN 2

Customized Darthmod V5 (1.5)
Arsene Lupin  [developer] 30 Aug, 2013 @ 3:53pm
Customized Darthmod (CDM) Modus Operandi and Feedback Thread
This thread is for suggestions for additional changes/tweaks to my Customized Darthmod modification, and for feedback/criticism/problems/advice. I'm an amateur modder and very-much do not know what I'm doing, so the more feedback you fine people give me, the better off we'll be.

I'll start off by listing out the various changes I made to Darthmod, grouping them into categories based on how those changes are supposed to effect Shogun 2's gameplay in general.

[]

The end-goal of my Darthmod modification is to make combat more dangerous--and more dangerous combat means a lot more casualties. To balance out the increased losses one is likely to suffer in the battelfied, I've adjusted the economy to provide additional income.

Increased Commerce GDP for all applicable buildings by 200.
Increased Farm GDP for all applicable buildings by 50.
Increased Industry GDP for all applicable buildings by 500.
Increased Mine GDP for all applicable buildings by 100.
Increased Port GDP for all applicable buildings by 300.
Increased Food Provision for all applicable buildings by 1.
Decreased negative modernization effects by 50%.

[]

I often feel like the grand campaign is a little too constrained for my tastes. I've very slightly adjusted the upkeep models to allow for a bit more wiggle-room--navies are more expensive to maintain, but armies are a little cheaper to maintain meaning you should be able to use a few more units than you could otherwise in the early game, and a few additional armies in the late game.

Increased upkeep for all artillery units by 10.
Decreased upkeep for all cavalry units by 10.
Decreased upkeep for all melee infantry units by 30.
Decreased upkeep for all ranged infantry units by 20.
Increased upkeep for all heavy navy units by 20.
Decreased upkeep for all light navy units by 25.
Increased upkeep for all medium navy units by 5.
Increased upkeep for all merchant navy units by 50.

[COMBAT]

My main gripe with combat is that it's too "clean." You'll see 100+ archers fire a volley of 100+ arrows into a dense formation of lightly-armored infantry... and only two arrows will hit. You'll see a formation of 1000 troops smash into another formation of 1000 troops... and they'll slowly grind against each other. To make combat more realistically visceral--faster, bloodier, more dangerous--I adjusted a number of different values, focusing primarily on increasing the accuracy of ranged units and the melee potential of cavalry and melee infantry. (All defensive variables were left unchanged).

Increased marksmanship for all ranged (bow) cavalry by 10.
Increased marksmanship for all ranged (musket) cavalry by 2.
Increased marksmanship for all ranged (bow) infantry by 20.
Increased marksmanship for all ranged (musket) infantry by 5.
Increased marksmanship for all ranged (rifle) infantry by 10.
Increased marksmanship for all ranged (rocket) infantry by 1.
Increased marksmanship for all ranged (sling) infantry by 2.
Increased marksmanship for all artillery units by 5.
Increased melee attack for all melee infantry by 1.
Increased melee attack for all melee cavalry by 2.
Increased charge bonus for all melee infantry by 1.
Increased charge bonus for all melee cavalry by 5.
Increased charge bonus for all ranged cavalry by 1.

Well, that's basically everything I'm wanting to accomplish with the current version of the mod. I don't have a whole lot of time, myself, for in-depth playtesting--so PLEASE! I need your help!

Let me know what works; let me know what doesn't work. Tell me which changes go too far, or which changes don't go far enough.
Last edited by Arsene Lupin; 5 Sep, 2013 @ 11:37pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Infinite Star 4 Sep, 2013 @ 4:43pm 
Hi, can i ask you one favored i have the Darthmod steam version with Japan expanded mod and want to customized it for myself only and it about adding some unit from the mod name ADDITIONAL UNITS MOD in db file of Darthmod only because when i run this mod it conflict iwth Japn expanded mod. What i need to know is how to mix two mod together. Looking forward to your answer here is my email: ncviet@gmail.com. I only customized it for me only it not illegal right???
Arsene Lupin  [developer] 4 Sep, 2013 @ 7:34pm 
I'm not sure about merging the mods, as I'm very new to modding and haven't quite figured that out yet (though not for want of trying).

Generally speaking, the game will crash if there's ANY conflicting data. There can be conflicting data inside a single mod which, alone, can cause the game to crash, but most of the time there will be two different mods that both effect the same table in the data packet, and since the game cannot apply two different override values simulatneously it will crash.

I would suggest using Pack File Manager to open up the Japan Expanded mod and see what tables it uses, then use the same utility to open up Customized Darthmod and delete those tables from CDM. That should (hopefully) clear up the compatibility issue. Most likely the overlapping table is something to do with the campaign map factions or start positions. Let me know if you still have trouble with it and I'll try and devote some time this weekend toward making it compatible.

---

Regarding legality, you can do whatever you want with mod data without worrying about breaking the law, because it is all done with the approval of Creative Assembly, who owns the rights to the game. The only thing you cannot do is SELL any content they produced or users produced, as that would be illegal.

It's more a matter of ethics. If you're only editing the file for your own, personal use? You can do whatever you want. But if you want to distribute it, you're ethically obligated to ask for permission from the people whose work you're using. In this case, specifically, you'd want to ask Darth Vader at Total War Center first, and then me last. But that's only if you want to distribute it on Steamworks or a forum or something.
Infinite Star 4 Sep, 2013 @ 8:34pm 
Thanks for the advice i tried to merge them by checking every content in pak file, the game start ok but the Japan expanded mod did not appear in campaign, but the additional unit mod work
Arsene Lupin  [developer] 5 Sep, 2013 @ 11:36pm 
Originally posted by cherub007:
I installed this to a completely vanilla Shogun 2. I have no other mods for this game and it crashes out at startup.

Are you crashing with zero mods selected?

And are you certain there are no other mods selected?

Because I hate to tell you this, cherub007, but it's not an issue with this particular .pack. The only reason for your game to crash on startup--if it's a mod issue--is if you have two different mods with conflicting override data in them.

If there's something wrong with the mod itself, the game will still start up, and will only crash when you try to load or start a new game.

Originally posted by cherub007:
Thanks for replying, I can assure you I have no other mods selected. The mod manager comes up, I tick the box for the mod - the only one which appears in the list - I click 'launch Shogun 2' and then the very front screen comes up (the static screen with the credits, that weird little Miles logo and stuff) and then it simply closes down and goes back to Steam. I'm not a troll, I'm not trying to make you look bad or anything and the mod looks superb, but it simply isn't happening for me. Could it be conflicting for mods I have installed for other games? I've got a couple fpr Skyrim installed. I'm currrently having a bad time with the Rome 2 circus as well so my decade-long love affair with Total War is really floundering at the moment. Let me know if you need my specs or anything.

Oh, no don't worry, I don't think you're trolling or anything. It' just with 1900+ subscribers and only 1 person having the issue, it's almost certainly a problem on your end. (Though I will admit, after reading your post I booted up my game with ONLY the CDM selected).

Anyway, no it could not be an issue with other mods or other games. The only thing that should be effecting your game at all should be stuff in the game's specific directory.

I can't really offer much of anything in the way of tech support, however I can suggest the following three things:

1.) Try starting the game without any mods selected. Does it still crash or does it perform normally? Test everything (go to main menu, start/load campaign, initiate a battle and load the battle map, etc.) If nothing works, there's a problem with your install of the game. If you get crashes later on--when trying to start/load a campagin or a battle--then you possibly have another mod in your install directory (like something you installed yourself, not using the Workshop, that does not require the Mod Manager to activate). If the game does work with no other mods selected, please download the original Darthmod 5.0 from SteamWorks and try starting the game with it selected to determine whether or not the issue is with CDM or DM in general.

2.) Go to the workshop and unsubscribe from CDM. Then, go into the SteamApps/common/Total War SHOGUN 2/data directory and look for a file called customized_darthmod_shogun_sw.pack. If it is there, delete it. Then restart Steam and re-subscribe to CDM to re-download it and try again.

3.) The only other thing I can think of to try is to simply uninstall Shogun 2, manually delete the Shogun 2 directory from the SteamApps folder and re-install it. At 25GB, if you have to go this far, you're probably best off letting it d/l while you sleep.

I hope something in there was helpful.
cherub007 6 Sep, 2013 @ 11:03am 
Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. Unmodded the game works fine and uninstalling/reinstalling the mod etc doesn't seem to do anything.

Can I ask you (or anyone who reads this) - does everyone else have a folder called awesomium_cache in the game folder? It stood out as an oddly named folder when I was looking for the data folder and I just want to be sure it's legit. I had a bit of trouble moving my Steam folders on to a new PC when I bought it in June so there's always the possibility some kind of bug sneaked in at that stage which is causing issues.

Finally, please don't take anything I have said as anything other than straight feedback on my experience. I loathe the generation of entitled loudmouths who generally dominate any kind of online gaming discussions nowadays and I so appreciate the work you and others like you put in to expand and improve these games. If the awesomium thing comes to nothing I'll do a full reinstall and see what happens.

Thanks again.
Last edited by cherub007; 6 Sep, 2013 @ 11:04am
Arsene Lupin  [developer] 6 Sep, 2013 @ 11:19am 
awesomium_cache is supposed to be there.

The only thing I can think of is that you've got another mod in the data folder that you put there manually, and it is in conflict with Darthmod. Did you try the original Darthmod file?

cherub007 6 Sep, 2013 @ 11:39pm 
No, I only tried the original mod after I tried the customised one. I've done a 'delete local content' through Steam and I'm now reinstalling the full game. I originally installed it from disk so this time I'm trying to install straight from Steam. It says it's only 12gb so hopefully it won't take too long.
Arsene Lupin  [developer] 7 Sep, 2013 @ 12:29am 
Well, good luck.

If you did move any mods into the data folder manually, however, uninstalling via steam will not delete those files.
cherub007 7 Sep, 2013 @ 2:01am 
Still no joy, sadly. I have to repeat that I have not installed any mods manually into S2. I got this PC - my first ever gaming rig - in June and installed my first ever mod last month when I did one of the graphics tweaks for Skyrim through the workshop. I have since added a Crusader Kings mod and found a couple more for Skyrim which I did manually after following instructions online, but I have barely played Shogun 2 since installing it and have certainly not modded it. At this moment in time my data folder contains the following:
encyclopedia, text and UI folders and the following files; boot.pack, bp_orig.pack, customized_darthmod...pack, data.pack, language, local_en.pack, manifest, models.pack, models2.pack, movies.pack, movies2.pack, patch.pack, patch_movies.pack (numbered up to 5), patch2 to patch20 packs, shaders.pack, shaders_patch.pack (numbered up to 12), sound.pack and terrain.pack.
If it's not one of them causing the problem, it must be some other issue specific to my machine.
cherub007 7 Sep, 2013 @ 7:02am 
I think we may have solved it. After you said about Steam not uninstalling mods when you delete local content, I thought I'd uninstall again and check the folder to see what was left. I found some kind of file which appeared to reference a crash report of some kind (it wasn't showing up when I posted the entry above) and it was dated about the time I installed Steam on my new machine (like I said, I had a bit of trouble.) I deleted it and reinstalled the whole game and it is now starting up after I activate the mod through the manager. I haven't had the time to play through and check any of the details yet but I thought I'd let you know, hopefully this is the fix. Thanks again for your help.
santyraf 15 Sep, 2013 @ 2:11pm 
Hi! Could you introduce in your mod shooting ranges for all shooters?
Is there gonna be any versions where there is no moral? Because when I use this or vanilla Darthmod the No Moral Mod doesn't work.
Arsene Lupin  [developer] 14 Dec, 2014 @ 5:11pm 
No, I'm not going to remove morale. That would make combat way too boring.
Zanklev™ 3 Jun, 2015 @ 12:28am 
Can you add an option to use the vanilla unit sizes? During seiges my units won't go on the wall unless I place them before hand and it keeps screwing up my defence plans.
Takamori Fox 22 Nov, 2015 @ 8:31am 
Hiho, first of all, thanks for the amazing mod/tweak to the DarhtMod. It really enhances the gameplay by alot. Loving it.

Now to my little big request/answer:

The very first time i started the game with your mod, i also had radious mod accidentaly activated. Well, after i played some 30 rounds, i felt that the unit card info maybe displayed wrong values, which i also felt inside battles. Mightve been my imagination tho. Not 100% sure.
Other than that, the gameplay was amazing. Very intense on Legendary with alot of difficult choices/battles and lots of losses when taking a province even against only a garrison. (Auto-Resolve was displaying chances incorrectly while taking cities tho, no big deal)

After i noticed the above, i unchecked the radious mod, started a new game, but the gameplay felt worse. 2 Rounds for traditional unit creation, only 1 talent point per level etc. (which are changes i thought were from darthmod initially)

To break it down: Is there an easy way to check if unit values/costs are working and displayed correctly ingame with both mods activated? (There are tons of units now, alot feeling obsolete, so disabling units is also a fine solution)

Thinking of it, my biggest issue is after a few rounds with only your DarthMod activated is probably the 2-turns it takes to create traditional units, if you could tell me how/where to change it, i'd be more than happy to deactivate radious mod to eliminate possible problems.

But i urge you to try it out with both your and radious FoTs (pack3 i believe it is) activated. The gameplay feels great and demanding. Maybe abit too much of unit variatoons, but thats stuff i could simplay ignore.
Last edited by Takamori Fox; 22 Nov, 2015 @ 8:37am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 1530 50