RimWorld

RimWorld

RimThemes
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
aRandomKiwi  [developer] 28 Feb, 2019 @ 6:38am
[Themes Makers]
:terraria: How to create a theme (No C# required) :terraria:

• Create a "RimThemes" folder in your mod's root directory
  • Download this Theme Example[www.dropbox.com] and unzip it inside the RimThemes folder, rename the unzipped folder as your theme name
  • Follow instructions in README.txt files and in the meta. xml file inside the unzipped folder to modify textures, colors and sounds
  • Repeat theses steps for all themes you want to create in your mod (a single mod can contain multiple themes inside the RimThemes folder)
  • Restart RimWorld, your themes will automatically appear in the themes manager

Here a template mod which store the example theme, you just need to adapt to your need the about.xml and Preview.png file in the about folder, and of course put your themes in the RimThemes folder :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrascd9zbkv9ux0/Mod%20Example.zip?dl=0

You can also be helped by looking at how the RimThemes folder of the following mod are made :

Note : If you encounter issues (texture, sound or color not applied), follow instructions in the [Bugs Report] topic to see how enable RimThemes verbose log, to see related errors.

Ressources :
  • Fonts Pack[www.dropbox.com] (Contain list of all available fonts usable with RimTheme, just copy and paste desired font filename in the related xml tag in meta.xml (follow instructions in the file))
  • Vanilla UI textures Pack[www.dropbox.com] (Contain list of all UI textures you can change, just copy and paste interested textures in your theme's textures folder then edit them).
    file))
  • APNG Maker software[sites.google.com]
    To build APNG compatible with the basic C# APNG library used by RimThemes to read Loader.png file (avoid blurry/weird APNG rendering).
Last edited by aRandomKiwi; 14 Aug, 2020 @ 4:38pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
FilleFLEX 1 Mar, 2019 @ 4:49pm 
The Vanilla UI textures Pack also links to the Font Pack
aRandomKiwi  [developer] 1 Mar, 2019 @ 5:00pm 
@FilleFLEX : Oops sorry, it's fixed !
JcDentonQ 3 Mar, 2019 @ 8:45am 
I've got a question about custom theme, I hope it's the right place to post this.

So i've created a custom theme, but the only way to make it appear ingame is to put it inside the 'themes' folder from your mod.

Putting it inside "Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods\RimThemes "
don't make it appear ingame

I just wanted to know if this was intended.

Subsidiary question, i've created a custom theme, how can I share it ?
aRandomKiwi  [developer] 3 Mar, 2019 @ 9:09am 
Yes it's the right place :cool_: !

In fact themes need to be presented to RimWorld as a mod to be shareable in the workshop and visible by RimThemes (as the RimThemes Pack Future, Pack Medieval, ... they are like an empty mod with just the "About" and "RimThemes" folders).

So to make your theme(s) appear in RimThemes and be shareable (as a mod) in RimWorld's workshop, you simply need to create a mod which store your themes by following theses steps :
  • 1) Go to your "Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods" folder
  • 2) Create a folder named as you want (your mod name "JcDentonQ's theme", "Custom UI", what you want ....)
  • 3) in this folder move your custom themes folder and name it "Rimthemes"
  • 4) create a folder "About" (not in the "RimThemes" folder, in the same folder)
  • 5) In the "About" folder create a XML file named "About.xml" then fill it with your mod description, here a template of About.xml :
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <ModMetaData> <name>Your mod name</name> <author>JcDentonQ</author> <supportedVersions> <li>1.0</li> </supportedVersions> <description><![CDATA[ My mod description ]]> </description> </ModMetaData>
  • 6)In the About folder create a Preview.png image file with your mod logo or what you want (recommended resolution for your image : 1048x595)
  • 7)Now you can launch RimWorld then enable your mod in the modlist, RimWorld will restart then as your mod are enabled RimThemes will automatically load all themes present in the "RimThemes" folder of your mod, so it should be ok
  • 8)To publish your mod you simply need to enable "dev mode" in RimWorld's settings (options) and then go in the mod list, click on your mod then click on the button "Upload mod", then just follow the showed steps by the steam workshop it's simple
Last edited by aRandomKiwi; 3 Mar, 2019 @ 9:17am
aRandomKiwi  [developer] 3 Mar, 2019 @ 9:28am 
Here an example of template mod which store the example theme :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrascd9zbkv9ux0/Mod%20Example.zip?dl=0
JcDentonQ 3 Mar, 2019 @ 9:40am 
Thanks for the clear explanation, I'm gonna take a look at that.
FilleFLEX 6 Mar, 2019 @ 6:02am 
Thanks for adding that missing texture :) I wonder tho what the name is for that texture, you forgot to mention the filename of the file :P (maybe add the new file to the Vanilla UI texture pack also)

Also I wonder what the xml tags are called for the new font coloring options, for that matter I would suggest adding a documentation for all the xml tags available
aRandomKiwi  [developer] 6 Mar, 2019 @ 6:38am 
@FilleFLEX : i mentionned it in my reply to your message in the [Bug Reports] topic, it's the "InspectPaneUtility.InspectTabButtonFillTex.png", just create a 5x5 image filled of the color you want to replace in RimWorld.

For the XML tags you need for changing text color, it's all showed in the meta.xml file of the Theme Example[www.dropbox.com], i updated it.

But yes i will soon create a "Themes API" topic style, to reference all available tags.
FilleFLEX 6 Mar, 2019 @ 7:12am 
Originally posted by aRandomKiwi:
@FilleFLEX : i mentionned it in my reply to your message in the [Bug Reports] topic, it's the "InspectPaneUtility.InspectTabButtonFillTex.png", just create a 5x5 image filled of the color you want to replace in RimWorld.

For the XML tags you need for changing text color, it's all showed in the meta.xml file of the Theme Example[www.dropbox.com], i updated it.

But yes i will soon create a "Themes API" topic style, to reference all available tags.

Sorry dude did not see that comment, but thanks alot for the clarification. Keep up the awesome work :D
Vakaria 3 Jul, 2019 @ 7:46pm 
Hi, and first, thank you for this mod! I'm loving it so much. I have also started my own attempt, but I can't figure out how to replace the "Confirm" button on tthe "Go back/Confirm" dialog popup that you get when you choose to return to the main menu. Do you know what I need to change (like the file name or whatever)? Thank you again!
Is there any chance we can get a template pack of the sounds we can edit in the "Sounds" folder? It is hard to tell what sounds are used where in the template download, as they are all non-original.
RedstoneRevolution 11 Jan, 2020 @ 12:33pm 
Also, there appears to be a problem with large frame amount Loader.png files. I am using one with 53 frames at 7.1KB, while the default one in the template pack is 10 frames at 113KB. The file dimensions are the same (196x196 pixels).
Last edited by RedstoneRevolution; 11 Jan, 2020 @ 12:35pm
aRandomKiwi  [developer] 19 Jan, 2020 @ 10:23pm 
@RedstoneRevolution : I tried to do it but the audio ressources of Rimworld id encoded into a format (FSB) that you cannot convert into mp3 without having some not free proprietary software,... thanks Unity.

The issue you encounter is related to the library used by the mod ( https://github.com/xupefei/APNG.NET) which is pretty limited, it only support basic APNG format without optimizations (background deta,...).
So either you can change in your editor which generate your APNG the output format (basic without optimizations and advanced features), or either use the APNG Maker linked by the library author : https://sites.google.com/site/cphktool/apng-anime-maker

In addition currently the number of FPS for the loader is hardcoded into Rimthemes to 20 FPS, so your loader need to be at 20FPS and not 53FPS.
Thanks, ill try it out!
JcDentonQ 25 Mar, 2020 @ 6:30am 
Hi @ArandomKiwi , I've got some little issues with my themes since the last minor updates of Rimworld. Everytime you load the game with my theme activated ( And just at the first loading ) there's this error messages popping in the debug tab

- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\294100\1672640503
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.<>c:<LoadModContent>b__10_1()
BetterLoading.<ExecuteToExecuteWhenFinishedTheGoodVersion>d__3:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Technically everything works fine if you except this debug prompt.

Mod loaded are ( in order )

Harmony
Mod manager
RimThemes
Mytheme1
Mytheme2

I've tested with the Girls frontline theme (steams seems to be having a hard time I couldn't dl any other themes to test also.)

And the same error appears.

With the themes you integrated in RimThemes, there's no issue.

I've tried taking a look at the howtoupdatemod.txt in Rimworld directory but couldn't find any working solution.

Let me know if you need more infos.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
Per page: 1530 50