Space Engineers

Space Engineers

Mining Platform by HellArea
Cruel Sun  [developer] 9 Dec, 2018 @ 4:09am
Expanding the horizon
Suggested by Iliurgul

Could you add support for horizontal pistons? So we can extend the radius without disamble the drills and pistons, and do some cycles with difierent radius. Or it is too unstable?

I have added this feature as experimental.

A possible problem is the memory usage for voxel. If you digging a SuperMassiveBigF**ing hole you need at least 8-16Gb of ram.

There is a code, you can test.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ulIjjQpskyr0s6axw6TJ_6y1RbU3r4sx

For the horizon pistons you must add _PX key to the Name. Like a Piston _PX. I have tested two, but you can test any number.
No other requirements.

If you don't have any horizontal pistons, the script works as usual.
Last edited by Cruel Sun; 9 Dec, 2018 @ 4:17am
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Iliurgul 9 Dec, 2018 @ 4:41am 
I tried yesterday to extend the radius (not by piston, adding more tubes), and it was really clanky. Piston head brokes and the script stopped, as you warned in the description. So I marked every rotor/piston with "Share inercia tensor" and it was a huge improvement, doing a 15º steps with 10 tubes radius without problems and pretty stable, maybe you want to try that setting.
Some time after finish the hole, the game started to get huge lag spikes every 10-20 seconds, I removed the grid and seems to fix. Not sure, but maybe the grid or the script was the cause, next time will remove things step by step to isolate the lag focus.
Iliurgul 9 Dec, 2018 @ 4:51am 
Oh, and the discussion title... so nice ;)
Iliurgul 9 Dec, 2018 @ 8:06am 
I tested with two _RX pistons too, it works fine with the Share inercia tensor on.
It would be great have a parameter for limit the step of the radius per cycle instead of full extend/retract
+13GB RAM in the game... KSH needs more optimization work I think XD
Cruel Sun  [developer] 9 Dec, 2018 @ 11:40am 
Sample[drive.google.com] from multiplayer.
Second cycle is very curve.
I can't add this feature as is now. Too many risks of destroying the construction. So I don't know how to make it really stable.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50