Mount & Blade: Warband

Mount & Blade: Warband

A Clash of Kings 8.0
Whats the difference between aCoK and awoiaf?
whats the difference i always played awoiaf but want to try out acok but whats the difference
< >
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
hunter.of.reapers 18 Jun, 2020 @ 2:24am 
awoiaf is more realistic i would say and its bigger chalange to play. But acok is really good too. I prefer awoiaf but i stopped playing it becouse of runtime error.
[HELL] Emperorpphed 18 Jun, 2020 @ 10:18am 
Originally posted by hunter.of.reapers:
awoiaf is more realistic i would say and its bigger chalange to play. But acok is really good too. I prefer awoiaf but i stopped playing it becouse of runtime error.
ah quick tip if you lower shadow quality shader quality and antialiasing then it should stop if not then it shouldnt happen nearly as much and thanks
PolterGijs 9 Jul, 2020 @ 5:04am 
Originally posted by Sirppheadthebig:
Originally posted by hunter.of.reapers:
ah quick tip if you lower shadow quality shader quality and antialiasing then it should stop if not then it shouldnt happen nearly as much and thanks
It's a little late, but this might be something you'd want to take a look at!

https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/7wjnpi/awoiaf_or_acok/
Originally posted by PolterGijs:

thanks
CaptainPugwash 21 Jul, 2020 @ 4:06pm 
I've played both and awoiaf is set to extreme and uses the brittenwalder method as in viking conquest. One of the biggest problems apart from extreme difficulty is the base battle size is 750. This is the cause of crashes and bottle knecks in large battles. It isn't a matter of how good a pc you have its in the game engine. 300 is and always has been the safe max. If you uncheck battle continuation You will get phased battles that allow you to recharge ammo and a percentage of health between each phase. I use the custom start and adjust game elements to suit my ability level.

ACOK mod is run on the normal M&B engine. A lot easier to play and a lot less quests.and features This mod also crashes a fair bit , but not as bad
Last edited by CaptainPugwash; 10 Aug, 2020 @ 10:56am
Fallen Lord 9 Aug, 2020 @ 4:30pm 
I think both mods have their areas of strength and areas that could be improved upon. I have played both mods extensively. I greatly prefer AWOIAF mod, which I think has better troop trees, replay value, and end game content along with greater depth and soul to it.
Last edited by Fallen Lord; 9 Aug, 2020 @ 5:53pm
Originally posted by PolterGijs:

The link itself is 2 years old and lot of opinions there is based on even older versions of both mods.

There are 2 main differences between those 2 mods:

1) ACOK is built over Floris features while AWOIAF over Brytenwalda/Voiking conquest realism.

2) AWOIAF is better and more polished with each update while ACOK... not so much. Features, quests, locations/// are added or removed like randomly withou word of explanation while old issues like gambreaking bugs or submod conflicts are never fixed or new introduced. Actually I would say best playabke version was about 4.1 or 5.1, last version wehre invasions worked and were proeprly triggered were like 2.1. v6-8 is like downgrade to me... so pick yourself:p

For me AWOIAF is way better game experience - I jsut have to give credit to ACOK for more GoT immersion, wider quest list, more scenery and unique location to explore and see and companions (I somehow dont like "real" characters in AWOIAF from show to fight together...) but it is for more jsut go around, watch.. and go play AWOIAF.
Last edited by Včelí medvídek; 3 Oct, 2020 @ 5:44pm
Originally posted by JollyJackTar:
I've played both and awoiaf is set to extreme and uses the brittenwalder method as in viking conquest. One of the biggest problems apart from extreme difficulty is the base battle size is 750. This is the cause of crashes and bottle knecks in large battles. It isn't a matter of how good a pc you have its in the game engine. 300 is and always has been the safe max.
You can set battle size as you want in mod options down to 150
Last edited by Včelí medvídek; 3 Oct, 2020 @ 4:50pm
Fallen Lord 3 Oct, 2020 @ 9:31pm 
Vceli Medvidek is correct upon the ability to set the battle size down to as low as 150 in AWOIAF mod. I would in general not recommend playing with a battle size of more than 300.

I agree with what Vceli is saying. I greatly prefer AWOIAF mod but I do think Clash of Kings does have immersive quests. I also like the quests for AWOIAF mod. I do admit that I am biased as I have written a number of them...lol.

However, more quests are being added to AWOIAF mod with each update. AWOIAF version 8.0 of Warband is currently in the process of being developed and version 7.0 of the mod was released not that long ago. I suspect another 2-4 more quests will be added in AWOIAF version 8.0.

A Bannerlords version of AWOIAF mod is also in the process of being developed! A lot to look forward to! Life is good :D
Kingfizh 8 Oct, 2020 @ 3:47pm 
Originally posted by Fallen Lord:
Vceli Medvidek is correct upon the ability to set the battle size down to as low as 150 in AWOIAF mod. I would in general not recommend playing with a battle size of more than 300.

I agree with what Vceli is saying. I greatly prefer AWOIAF mod but I do think Clash of Kings does have immersive quests. I also like the quests for AWOIAF mod. I do admit that I am biased as I have written a number of them...lol.

However, more quests are being added to AWOIAF mod with each update. AWOIAF version 8.0 of Warband is currently in the process of being developed and version 7.0 of the mod was released not that long ago. I suspect another 2-4 more quests will be added in AWOIAF version 8.0.

A Bannerlords version of AWOIAF mod is also in the process of being developed! A lot to look forward to! Life is good :D
Hey ive been playing both mods for a while now and Ive noticed AWOIAF has way too many runtime errors while ACOK has virtually none. Is there anyway to fix that? I love AWOIAF but the runtime errors cripple me from having fun and playing.
Fallen Lord 11 Oct, 2020 @ 6:49pm 
You are likely having more run time errors because AWOIAF mod is a larger and more complex mod compared to a Clash of Kings, which in turn takes up more memory and puts more strain on the already antiquated Warband engine. For example, AWOIAF mod is about 3.3 times larger, from a memory size stand-point, compared to a Clash of Kings mod.

However, there are ways to decrease the frequency of runtime errors AWOIAF mod.

The following are my suggestions to decrease the frequency of runtime errors and crashes in general for AWOIAF mod that I have come up with:
-Do not enable cheat mode.
-Disable scenic menu under camp options.
-The options "Load textures on demand" is ticked in the launcher options; Configure → Video options → Load textures on demand: ticked
-Decrease battle size to 200-250 (300 max recommended).
-Set corpses to 20 and ragdolls to 5 or even try reducing hem both to 0.
- Edit mode is disabled in the launcher options; Configure → Advanced → Enable Edit Mode: unticked.
-Decrease the graphical specs you are running game at, especially decreasing texture details (such as to 80%), lowering the shadow quality shader, and turning down anti-aliasing can help.
-Do not use any game editors such as Morgh's M&B Editor.
-Quit Warband and then reload Warband and your saved game. This helps to reset memory leak issues.
-Do not run any unnecessary background programs while playing mod.
-Upgrading your computer, especially graphics card, can help. Although even with a fully optimized computer there are inherent issues with bottle necking and limitations of the outdated, fickle Warband engine.
-Make sure you are running the latest version of MB:Warband.
-Make sure your copy of the game is legitimate and is bought through Steam, GoG, TaleWorlds etc.
-I have heard this next thing can help but have not personally tried it: Go to your Warband documents folder and open the "rgl_config" file. There's a setting "render_buffering_size. Change the value to "500". Save the document.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes and stay safe out there comrades,

Fallen Lord
Kingfizh 11 Oct, 2020 @ 8:09pm 
Originally posted by Fallen Lord:
You are likely having more run time errors because AWOIAF mod is a larger and more complex mod compared to a Clash of Kings, which in turn takes up more memory and puts more strain on the already antiquated Warband engine. For example, AWOIAF mod is about 3.3 times larger, from a memory size stand-point, compared to a Clash of Kings mod.

However, there are ways to decrease the frequency of runtime errors AWOIAF mod.

The following are my suggestions to decrease the frequency of runtime errors and crashes in general for AWOIAF mod that I have come up with:
-Do not enable cheat mode.
-Disable scenic menu under camp options.
-The options "Load textures on demand" is ticked in the launcher options; Configure → Video options → Load textures on demand: ticked
-Decrease battle size to 200-250 (300 max recommended).
-Set corpses to 20 and ragdolls to 5 or even try reducing hem both to 0.
- Edit mode is disabled in the launcher options; Configure → Advanced → Enable Edit Mode: unticked.
-Decrease the graphical specs you are running game at, especially decreasing texture details (such as to 80%), lowering the shadow quality shader, and turning down anti-aliasing can help.
-Do not use any game editors such as Morgh's M&B Editor.
-Quit Warband and then reload Warband and your saved game. This helps to reset memory leak issues.
-Do not run any unnecessary background programs while playing mod.
-Upgrading your computer, especially graphics card, can help. Although even with a fully optimized computer there are inherent issues with bottle necking and limitations of the outdated, fickle Warband engine.
-Make sure you are running the latest version of MB:Warband.
-Make sure your copy of the game is legitimate and is bought through Steam, GoG, TaleWorlds etc.
-I have heard this next thing can help but have not personally tried it: Go to your Warband documents folder and open the "rgl_config" file. There's a setting "render_buffering_size. Change the value to "500". Save the document.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes and stay safe out there comrades,

Fallen Lord
Thank you, I'll have to try this later this week.
judasky 11 Mar, 2021 @ 5:19am 
A Clash of Kings is set in the books version of Seven Kingdoms and build on Warband engine, so no ship steering and stamina.
AWOIAF is set in the TV show Seven Kingdoms, so more hollywood funky look of armors, but it is build on Viking Conquest engine, so more modern, immersive and with more feathures bcs of it.
HappyTreeFriend 28 Mar, 2021 @ 3:49pm 
This is a bit irrelevant but ACOK dominated the ModDB page for years (2012-2019) on #1 only until the show ended it started to decrease popularity and fell behind AWOIAF which struggled to keep up with ACOK before. I've been following ModDB since 2012.
Fallen Lord 9 Apr, 2021 @ 4:06am 
@RandomSithLord
I think it is great that you are into the mod but what you are writing is highly factually incorrect.

I have been literally obsessed with both of these mods and have tracked things closely from a statistical standpoint.

You have probably heard of me, if not, than that further adds weight that you do not know what you are talking about. From the dates 2016 to present, I have donated over $55,000 to the further development of AWOIAF mod to help put things in perspective. That is a fact.

ACOK mod exceeded AWOIAF mod in popularity from about 2012 to mid 2017 and then AWOIAF mod exceeded ACOK mod in popularity from about mid 2017 to present.

ACOK mod did reach #1 in ModDb at times for popularity but not consistently.

I think both Produno and Cozur have created amazing mods! Produno and Cozur have long since both earned my admiration and respect!!!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
Per page: 1530 50