Space Engineers

Space Engineers

Spug's Easy Automated Docking [OBSOLETE/See Description]
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Spug  [developer] 17 Mar, 2018 @ 2:31am
Any ideas for features?
Currently I'm very busy and so I might not be able to attempt each Idea for a bit. I likely will though at some point. Any ideas on possible additions to this script or the optional one, post them here.
However it's unlikely i'll get round to implementing them all.
Last edited by Spug; 11 Apr, 2018 @ 10:35am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 95 comments
cheerkin 18 Mar, 2018 @ 1:32am 
Do the cross-grid messaging system so that any number of client ships would request for free docking ports with arbitrary orientation.
Do dock to moving/rotating host.
Do engine thrust vector that the ship could go to dock in one straight move.
cheerkin 18 Mar, 2018 @ 1:45am 
+ support for pure gravity ships with no thrusters
Spug  [developer] 18 Mar, 2018 @ 1:58am 
Thanks, I'll probably work on them next to be honest. The messaging system could come first as I've programmed one for my own personal use, it just isn't flexible enough yet for adding to my optional script. Moving to match a moving host is already being worked on. Originally I had programmed an engine thrust vector style thing with one move however I changed it a bit for a load of added safety, I've gone for caution over speeding towards the docking port.
Spug  [developer] 18 Mar, 2018 @ 2:00am 
Pure gravity ships shouldn't be hard to implement with the code I've got, in fact I wouldn't need to change much, but I'll leave that for a bit and work on the other stuff
AthinCZ 18 Mar, 2018 @ 9:26am 
Can you add the option that the ship would be aligned with the home connector orientation at a specified distance from the connector and then the ship dock (with the support of the moving home ship)?

It would be useful to prevent ship damage when there is little space for rotation.
Spug  [developer] 18 Mar, 2018 @ 10:05am 
Originally posted by AthinCZ:
Can you add the option that the ship would be aligned with the home connector orientation at a specified distance from the connector and then the ship dock (with the support of the moving home ship)?

It would be useful to prevent ship damage when there is little space for rotation.
Do you mean something such as, moving away from the connector, then spinning to face it, then moving in to dock?
Currently there is a variable at the top of the script that is called "connectorClearance" in meters. If the ship is closer than this, it will spin to face the dock, move away to the connector clearence distance, then move to dock.
However it seems you'd like it to not spin before moving away which I might try and add in the future.
AthinCZ 18 Mar, 2018 @ 10:24am 
Yes,

first, fly over the connector, second turn in the right direction (at a certain distance), and finally drop down.

Btw, it seems to me that it does not work well with the moded connector, namely the VCZ Airtight Connector, but it may be just my simple test ship.
Spug  [developer] 18 Mar, 2018 @ 10:31am 
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add that onto the to-do list. I'll check out that connector mod and try to recreate your problem. I can imagine there could be an issue with mod connectors and the strength, too weak or strong a connector and the spinning won't work. Maybe try setting "spinsWhenConnected" to false at the top section of the script. If that isn't the issue there's a chance it's not compatible but I don't see why connector mods shouldn't work.
Suicide_Jack 18 Mar, 2018 @ 3:03pm 
is there a function planed where upon dock a timer is started or triggered?
would be usefull for automated transport drones which then can return after a set time on a connector at a mining station or something similar
Spug  [developer] 18 Mar, 2018 @ 3:15pm 
Originally posted by Suicide_Jack:
is there a function planed where upon dock a timer is started or triggered?
would be usefull for automated transport drones which then can return after a set time on a connector at a mining station or something similar
Ah I like it. That would be very easy to add, might do that soon.
Spug  [developer] 18 Mar, 2018 @ 3:43pm 
Suicide_Jack - That feature has now been added. add the tag "[Dock]" to your timer and it'll start once docked.
DumbTrollface 20 Mar, 2018 @ 10:36am 
Is it possible to do the same thing with mergeblocks?
Rndsum 20 Mar, 2018 @ 2:26pm 
https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/programmable-block-inter-grid-communication-guide.7392031/

Be nice if the station/master could communicate with the ship/slave so in situations like drones and other things you could remotely trigger 1 or 100 drones to RTB/return to base. Even better if they avoided eachother.
Spug  [developer] 20 Mar, 2018 @ 2:29pm 
@DumbTrollFace I could and I might but not just yet as I'm working on a few other updates.
Spug  [developer] 20 Mar, 2018 @ 2:30pm 
Rndsum - That wouldn't be too difficult to do. Although the collision avoidance is a lot of work and something i'll consider adding later down the road. Full drone recall is a feature that I could certainly add though, thanks for the suggestion
< >
Showing 1-15 of 95 comments
Per page: 1530 50