Left 4 Dead 2

Left 4 Dead 2

Detour Ahead
KittyV2X 10 Jun, 2023 @ 7:45pm
Nicky's review of Detour Ahead
Full walkthrough: Youtube.

I first came across this campaign when I was curious if there were Left 4 Dead 2 tournaments. This was one of the maps that came up, and I instantly wanted to try it out.

I suppose it would be a mistake on my part as I imagined to be a high thrill action, or more tension when it came to exploring the valleys. However, it did have a lot of open scenery that you can walkthrough. For those who feel that the map is too dark, please get brighter flashlight mods so you don't get lost easily!

Just as the tournament was displayed, this is better to play with a friend if you hate going through challenges alone. It's quite long like

A similar campaign I would recommend alongside this one would be Blood Proof as they both have similar scenery and choice of using buildings as their primary landmarks in navigation.

The finale had me wanting to go inside the fireworks factory to unleash some chaos. However, I'm quite satisfied with the author using custom events to help give life to the finale.The custom events that the author did are LOUD AND BRIGHT so any players who are lost instantly knows where their friends are.

The characteristics that makes this campaign stand out is not just the custom stores that's quite breathable. It's a huge advantage for the Special Infected to hide anywhere at all times. There's plenty of hiding spaces for the Special Infected while as a Survivor, your best bets are staying within the narrow path with the street lights. Anywhere outside of the safe zones will give you a very difficult time on harder modes.

I enjoyed this campaign throughout, and I wouldn't mind playing it again. If there's some areas that feels too dim, get a good flashlight mod. Your key of navigation here would be car lights or a change in scenery that may feel the same.

If you're looking for more impressive landmarks like statues, special buildings, or taller towers, that would be out of the question as it tends to reuse a lot of assets from Left 4 Dead 1. It felt like an expanded version of Blood Harvest but with more focus on the transition from urban to rural.

My only opinions on this campaign so far would be:
1. Brighter areas when it comes to traveling on longer paths between destinations.
2. Rewarding players for going off road or if they're exploring buildings. There was a recurring event in which there was only ONE medkit available if there wasn't one medical cabinet available in the saferoom and one other area. The amount of fallen Survivors did make up for it. Still, it still had the problem of finding *one* medkit throughout the area. This can prove to be a tougher challenge on higher difficulties.

The best strategy that I can recommend is to keep those flashlights on, and use your resources wisely. Detour Ahead is a great challenge. If your'e a stickler about brightness, GET THAT FLASHLIGHT MOD!

Well done, authors!