Left 4 Dead 2

Left 4 Dead 2

Syringe Dart Launcher
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Rectus  [developer] 11 May, 2017 @ 12:22am
FAQ & Troubleshooting
FAQ

• Does the Syringe Dart Launcher replace any weapon?
    No, it is a brand new weapon. It does however replace a few melee weapon spawns on each map.

• Does the Syringe Dart Launcher work in single player?
    Yes

• Does the Syringe Dart Launcher work in multiplayer?
    Yes, but every player and, if using one, the server, needs to have the add-on as well as the Custom Weapon Base installed.

• Does the Syringe Dart Launcher work on custom campaigns?
    No, the Syringe Dart Launcher would have to be added to each individual campaign along with a control script in order to work.

• How do you enable infinite ammo?
    Using the sv_infinite_ammo 1 console command (cheat).

• What mods are incompatible with this?
    Mods that alter gameplay by running VScripts are likely incompatible. That includes the Admin System and CS:S weapon unlockers. The Syringe Dart Launcher is compatible with other mods using the Custom Weapon Base. A special compatible CS:S weapon unlocker also exists.

• How do I spawn the Syringe Dart Launcher from console?
    Use the command:
    give syringe_gun

Troubleshooting guide
  • The Syringe Dart Launcher does not fire properly.
    This is likely caused by incompatibility with other mods. Disable other addons, especially conflicting ones. To fire, the button may need to be held in a short time.

• The Syringe Dart Launcher does not spawn.
    Disable other addons featuring custom melee weapons. Make sure the Custom weapon Base is installed. Make sure you are not playing on a custom campaign/map.

Known issues and Limitations

• Syringes can sometimes pass through survivors.
  • Does not work with custom campaigns unless the campaign is modified to include it.
  • Incompatible with other addons that globally execute scripts.
Last edited by Rectus; 22 Apr, 2018 @ 3:48am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Pelandes 11 May, 2017 @ 11:42am 
So, what do you mean with "is incompatbles with CS:S weapon unlockers" but that "the mod is designed to work with it"? Aren't those statements contradictory?

To simplify, I have a CS:S unlocker in L4D2 as a separate workshop mod, as well as the Syringe Launcher and the MAW mods of yours (including the Custom Weapons Base Mod), would that run properly?

I remember that earlier this week I tried using the MAW mod and finding out that the rocket launcher does spawn and I can pick it up, but it doesn't fire anything (altough that may have very well being that I forgot to install the Custom Weapons Base Mod, which I have done now). Haven't tested yet if it works now.

Also, would other script-based mods like bot-enhancing ones cause problems?
Rectus  [developer] 11 May, 2017 @ 11:57am 
I mean't that the syringe gun is compatible with my other mods. I edtited the text to make it more clear.

My mods are not compatible with the CS:S weapon unlocker and load order would determine which mods script would get executed, so that's probably why the LAW wasn't firing. I updated the LAW to use the Custom Weapons Base yesterday, so that probably wasn't an issue then.

I don't think the bot enhancing ones would cause any problems, since they don't seem to modify any VScripts.
Pelandes 12 May, 2017 @ 2:38am 
Yep, disabling the CS:S unlocker makes it work and the Smart Bots mod doesn't seem to interfere.

It is a pity, however, since despite my 150+ hours into this game I just recently found out about the CS:S weapons and I was having a lot of fun with the Scout. Wouldn't be a way to use CS:S weapons and your Custom Weapons at the same time?

Maybe you could make a variation of your Custom Weapon Base mod that is the same but also unlocks itself the CS:S weapons so that there is no conflict with other mods? (that is, assuming that can even be done, I don't really know how are those two scripts even conflicting to begin with...).
Last edited by Pelandes; 12 May, 2017 @ 3:21am
Rectus  [developer] 12 May, 2017 @ 3:16am 
That should be possible to do, I'll look into it.
Rectus  [developer] 12 May, 2017 @ 9:20am 
I made a CS:S unlocker that plugs into the custom weapon base: http://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=924194917
Pelandes 12 May, 2017 @ 10:58am 
Sweet! And a quick fix too if I've ever seen one. I'll try it out as soon as I get some time.
Thank you for the effort!
Vaikiukas 15 May, 2021 @ 5:44am 
Hey um is there any way to like to do something with the mod that it will appear in custom maps or you just need to add it ?
Rectus  [developer] 15 May, 2021 @ 5:56am 
To use the weapon in a custom campaign, you would need to modify some files in the campaign itself.

There are two things that need to be done. the first is to add the weapon to the melee weapon list in the mission file. The second is to set up the scripts to run, which should be possible by copying the scriptedmode_addon.nut file to the campaign addon.

Note that this will modify the campaign enough that you won't be able to play it with others if they aren't using the modded addon.
Supreme Leader 5 May, 2022 @ 2:37am 
Hi Rectus, great work as always, I just wanna ask some questions: What does a "globally execute script" do? Can I have an example please? And what does it affect the gun? Ty.
Last edited by Supreme Leader; 5 May, 2022 @ 2:39am
Rectus  [developer] 5 May, 2022 @ 2:59am 
Originally posted by Supreme Leader:
Hi Rectus, great work as always, I just wanna ask some questions: What does a "globally execute script" do? Can I have an example please? And what does it affect the gun? Ty.
It means any vscript mod may interfere with the mod and prevent the gun features from working.
Supreme Leader 5 May, 2022 @ 3:40am 
Originally posted by Rectus:
Originally posted by Supreme Leader:
It means any vscript mod may interfere with the mod and prevent the gun features from working.
Well that's kind of vague lol but thanks for answering!
Supreme Leader 6 May, 2022 @ 6:35am 
Hi Rectus, it's me again lol. Have some couple of questions:
1. The recharge rate is for each dart or all of them?
2. What does the dart do to SI/Tank beside Witch exactly?
3. Can I modify the vscript to exclude Tank spawn when the dart hit common infected? If so what line should I look into?
Thanks!
Last edited by Supreme Leader; 6 May, 2022 @ 7:40am
Rectus  [developer] 6 May, 2022 @ 7:35am 
1. It will only recharge a single syringe. Unless you modfy it, the only way to get back more than one is to go to the next map.
2. It will double their current health.
3. The code is in prop_syringe.nut, in the InfectedHit() function. You would have to modify it so it doesn't spawn an SI when the random value is 7.
Supreme Leader 6 May, 2022 @ 11:56am 
Rectus, thanks for replying! About the vscript:
1. How can I modify it to increase the amount of syringe each charge exactly? Alternately, is there anyway to make the gun keep charging the next dart after the first one? Currently it completely stopped after one recharge making it pretty redundant compare to the others imo.
3. So I can just straight up remove the function by comment it out?
Last edited by Supreme Leader; 6 May, 2022 @ 12:01pm
Rectus  [developer] 6 May, 2022 @ 12:59pm 
Line 154 in custom_syringe_gun.nut sets the number of syringes to add when the recharge is finished.

Commenting out the function would make it crash. You could comment out the call to it on line 135 instead.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Per page: 1530 50