Darkest Dungeon®

Darkest Dungeon®

Cannoneer - Class Mod
DiogoSN 22 Jun, 2017 @ 5:54pm
Fireworks does not prevent nightime ambushes (EDIT=It actually increases chance of ambush, description is incorrect)
So, I've used the camping ability twice, and it had no effect on nightime ambuses, got ambushed in both situations.
Last edited by DiogoSN; 22 Jun, 2017 @ 6:01pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Phreeze 23 Jun, 2017 @ 10:37am 
Can confirm, this has happened for quite a while.
Fearless knight 26 Jun, 2017 @ 7:38am 
+
DualSoul1423 18 Jul, 2017 @ 4:51pm 
I just used it right now and I came straight here to post in frustration, only to find this thread. Now I know to never use this ♥♥♥♥♥♥ ability ever again.
Narlindir 16 Aug, 2017 @ 6:29am 
Can confirm this is clearly not wat is supposed to happen
The dev has to either fix the spelling or adjust the behavior
IceMaverick 22 Aug, 2017 @ 1:06pm 
This is a limitation of the Darkest Dungeon tooltip system. Any change in value to ambush chance causes the tooltip to automatically display "Prevent Nighttime Ambush" no matter if you put +1%, +100%, or -100%. There's nothing AJ can do about that except scrap the ability. If you want this "bug" to be fixed, complain to Red Hook for having such a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ tooltip system.

That being said, not sure why you'd intuit setting off fireworks would keep enemies *away* from your campsite... you're literally shooting off exploding signal flares :P
DiogoSN 23 Aug, 2017 @ 6:33am 
Originally posted by IceMaverick:
This is a limitation of the Darkest Dungeon tooltip system. Any change in value to ambush chance causes the tooltip to automatically display "Prevent Nighttime Ambush" no matter if you put +1%, +100%, or -100%. There's nothing AJ can do about that except scrap the ability. If you want this "bug" to be fixed, complain to Red Hook for having such a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ tooltip system.

That being said, not sure why you'd intuit setting off fireworks would keep enemies *away* from your campsite... you're literally shooting off exploding signal flares :P

Well, I just follow what the UI says, I already learnt that the UI's modding is limited. But you can't blame me for assuming that a button saying: "Prevents Nightime Ambushes", will "Prevent Nightime Ambushes". I don't care about in game logic, I just do what the game says. For example, more darkness would actually make harder for finding gold instead of increasing the chance to find it, but I don't mind lack of logic within a game, I just want a proper and clear explanation fo the mechanics.
Narlindir 24 Aug, 2017 @ 3:42am 
I Thought they got scared away by the explosions.

Is there no place for a string anywhere?
Like In the tooltip of the perk
Or simply call it "Firework of falso hope or something"
I am sure you will find an elegant solution, you are a smart guy.

Or simply write it as "Known Bug" on top of the page or something or more like a "Attention: UI limitation"

Don't give Redhook flack without reaching out to them
Just open a ticket and I am sure they will respond with an update as soon as resources are avaiable.
Or open a thread in the forum and post the link where we can support the idea of a more open approach to the UI
(e.g. if (ambushChanceMod > 0) "Decreased chance" else "Increased chance") (this wouldnt account a 0 but that shouldnt be too difficult))

Keep in mind that they are a small Indy company and have to manage the new dlc also.

Stay positive, your mod is fun, just not that intuitive :)
Narlindir 24 Aug, 2017 @ 3:45am 
Wait a second, you aren't even the author...
Maybe Ill open a thread then...
IceMaverick 24 Aug, 2017 @ 4:51am 
This is something that most mod authors have already asked Red Hook about.

This is also something Red Hook probably can't fix without completely re-writing a large portion of the UI code because they hardcoded so much of it instead of leaving it open and accessible.

Something with this much hardcoding is usually not something that a developer will waste time re-writing unless they're really, really passionate about making it dynamically available for modding or unless it's going to have clear monetary value so that they can afford to spend the time doing it to be able to pay themselves.

I've looked at what we're allowed to see of the UI script myself and I've talked with several other mod authors like Exaelus about it. We've mostly concluded that it's a really garbage tooltip system and probably the most limiting part of modding this game. There's a lot of pretty cool things you can do with the effects in Darkest Dungeon, but most authors won't do it because there's no way to make tooltips for it.
Narlindir 25 Aug, 2017 @ 5:59am 
Thats sad D:

I used to do hardcode too, but after I realized that the 1000 or so lines of "code" could be written in a simple for loop in about 5 or so lines I broke inside

Dont do hardcode kids D:

I guess we all have to live with the limited options we have, until someone rewrites the source...
I've checked his camping skill.json and it only reduce 5% ambush chance, so the skill is only worth using for healing stress. If you want, you can change it yourself by opening steam\steamapps\workshop\content\262060\912030977\raid\camping\cannoneer.camping_skills.json with note++ and look for "fireworks", change the amount under under "reduce_ambush_chance" from 0.05 to 1 for a 100% reduction
Last edited by Hanako, the Ironic Pyro; 11 Dec, 2017 @ 5:31pm
Curious Fox 2 Jul, 2018 @ 12:30am 
Well, this is necroing but it's still a thing so...

I'll just stay away from the skill then. I thought it was fantastic as it takes a good chunk of stress + prevent ambush at the cost of a small damage penalty (which can be removed by herbs).
Last edited by Curious Fox; 2 Jul, 2018 @ 12:30am
PotaDOH 27 Nov, 2019 @ 2:56pm 
Still having this problem, first time I thought it was just because it was in the sunward isles but now have been ambushed in weald with the ability. I don't want excuses I want changes.
IceMaverick 1 Dec, 2019 @ 12:06pm 
@PotaDOH well you're going to have to suck it up and deal with it, especially now that you know about it. It's flat out not getting changed. AJ hasn't been part of the DD modding community for literally years now and Red Hook has already moved on to developing DD2, so there's no way they're changing their tooltip system now to properly display the value adjustment for Nighttime Ambush that this skill is applying. This thread is a big disclaimer on how the skill actually works, so use it and keep your newfound knowledge in mind or bugger off and stop necroing threads that are almost 2 years old.
Curious Fox 1 Dec, 2019 @ 9:06pm 
On the topic just because I am still using this mod. It's still an option to just move the mod file to the mod folder from the workshop folder, and edit the file itself.

This character really needs some nerfs to what it does, so I use it that way.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 1530 50