Garry's Mod

Garry's Mod

GBombs 5 - Base (Fixed)
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Scoopy  [developer] 22 Nov, 2023 @ 2:46am
(Error/Bug Fixing) Current state of GBombs 5
G'day all :CeliaShock:

It's been a while since I've reuploaded this addon on the Steam Workshop (in 2017), and from day one there have been lua errors happening with this addon. Sadly, due to hardware, knowledge, and time constraints in 2016/2017 I was unable to resolve any of these issues back then.

From what I've seen in comment sections, discussions, and my own testing, all the reuploads of this addon have these bugs and lua errors and it seems like nobody is trying to fix them in 2023 (from what I've found). Even though there is still demand for this addon.

Now here comes the good news: I've been learning and experimenting more and more with coding lately and I'm motivated to 100% FIX Garry's Bombs 5 within the upcoming weeks (hopefully before 2024, the 10 year anniversary of this addon).

I've already started a few days ago by backtracking the most annoying, and most common error:
[GBombs 5 - Base] bad argument #3 to 'Add' (function expected, got nil) 1. Add - lua/includes/modules/hook.lua:31 2. unknown - lua/autorun/gb5_help.lua:14
This error would show up every time you load into a map, which is super annoying. I've put a band aid fix into place to make this error go away for now, but I'll make sure to properly fix it soon.

Most of the bombs, sirens, and missles in this addon are 100% functional, even though some might show an error message (the most common error is the one regarding the shockwave). These still need fixing.

I will start gathering all the errors community members have been submitting to my workshop page, but also the ones posted on the other reuploads of GBombs 5. I will also start testing this addon myself to find every error and bug it is generating.

I'll be updating you all through these workshop discussions.

Please let me know in the comments, dms, or my profile if you find any new bugs/errors!

Current state: 100% functional, everything is working again!
Last edited by Scoopy; 25 Nov, 2023 @ 7:43am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Scoopy  [developer] 22 Nov, 2023 @ 2:25pm 
Small update
* I have found a fix regarding the shockwave error and I'll be implementing this as soon as possible.
* The gb5_help.lua error was incredibly easy to fix: there was a single typo in the code.
* I have tested about half of the weapons in the addon and started documenting which weapons give which errors.

Most important thing to fix at this time is the shockwave error, as this one is the most frequent. Expect an update with a fix before or during this weekend.
Last edited by Scoopy; 24 Nov, 2023 @ 3:32pm
Scoopy  [developer] 23 Nov, 2023 @ 1:06pm 
Great news today!
- Fixed the infamous shockwave Lua error when standing close to any exploding missiles in GB5: Missiles.
- Increased shockwave amount depending on size of the missile/propellant
- Added custom explosion sound for propellants in GB5: Missiles (This was left empty in the code, no clue why)
- Fixed gb5_help.lua error when loading into a map
Scoopy  [developer] 24 Nov, 2023 @ 3:23pm 
Even greater news today!!
- Fixed CBU-52U missing sound error
- Fixed EmitSound Lua error for Breaching Charge and Pressure cooker in GB5: Light bombs
- Fixed SetPhysicsAttacker Lua error for Anti-gravity bomb, endothermic bomb, exothermic bomb, hypersonic bomb, and supersonic bomb in GB5: Specials.
- Fixed Space nuke Lua error

Every error I have found in this addon has now been fixed and GBombs 5 - Base is 100% functional again :smile:
Scoopy  [developer] 29 Nov, 2023 @ 2:53pm 
Found out there was another shockwave lua error in the Cluster Nuke. Fixed it and made Cluster Nuke admin-only, as it can introduce a lot of server/client lag.
Scoopy  [developer] 27 Dec, 2023 @ 2:28pm 
Aaaaaand there was another shockwave error in the Cluster Nuke (also in the Ivy Mike). Fixed them with the most recent update!
Scoopy  [developer] 28 Dec, 2023 @ 2:46am 
Just sent out another update for you guys! In this update I have put a failsafe in place that should INDEFINITELY fix the shockwave lua error (even in the future). Check the patchnotes for a bit more of a technical explanation.
Scoopy  [developer] 2 Jan @ 3:53pm 
Fat Man and Gadget have a weird piece of smoke sticking out of the top of their mushroom cloud which needs fixing.

I have found a way to let the nukes do damage to SCars, but the other bombs and rockets are coded differently. So I'll have to figure out how to make those do damage. It'll probably all be added in the next update though!
Rubik 16 Jan @ 12:09pm 
Dude, thank you so much for fixing this mod! Appreciate it.
Scoopy  [developer] 18 Jan @ 9:02am 
Originally posted by Rubik:
Dude, thank you so much for fixing this mod! Appreciate it.
No problem! Thanks for using the addon :)
When ever i explode any of the bombs, its giving me so many errors that at times has completely crash my game. This started a few days ago.
the custom nuke still creates the shockwave error
Exploding of the bombs gives me error:
luafentties/gb5_shockwave_sound_Jowsh.lua:80; bad argument #1 to 'SetPhysics Attacker' (Entity expected, got nil)
1. SetPhysics Attacker - [C]:-1
2. unknown - lua/entities/gb5_shockwave_sound_Jowsh.lua:80
To absolute oblivion. i got it 284 times in a matter of seconds after exploding please fix it was fine a few days agp
Scoopy  [developer] 28 Jan @ 2:54am 
Originally posted by Majora_2010:
luafentties/gb5_shockwave_sound_Jowsh.lua:80; bad argument #1 to 'SetPhysics Attacker' (Entity expected, got nil)
To absolute oblivion. i got it 284 times in a matter of seconds after exploding please fix it was fine a few days agp
Very odd. I haven't seen this error yet, but upon Googling I noticed a few players also had this issue. I wasn't able to reproduce it, which makes it really hard to fix.

I updated the addon just now with a potential fix. Does it fix it for you?
Originally posted by Scoopy:
Very odd. I haven't seen this error yet, but upon Googling I noticed a few players also had this issue. I wasn't able to reproduce it, which makes it really hard to fix.

thar seemed to fix it thank you
Scoopy  [developer] 28 Jan @ 1:14pm 
Originally posted by Scoopy:

thar seemed to fix it thank you
Great! Thanks for letting me know :)
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 1530 50