Stellaris

Stellaris

Realistic Ships
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Tal Ara'nh  [developer] 9 Sep, 2016 @ 11:58pm
Mod Compatibility
Post mod compatibility requests/inquiries here.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 82 comments
Tal Ara'nh  [developer] 10 Sep, 2016 @ 2:41am 
Moved list to new discussion thread.

>Tal
Last edited by Tal Ara'nh; 8 May, 2017 @ 9:08am
Tal Ara'nh  [developer] 10 Sep, 2016 @ 2:43am 
Tal Ara'nh [author] 4 Sep @ 5:35pm
@tmonahan23

At the moment, I am inclined to say no for a number of reasons:

1. ISBS is an awesome mod for what it brings to the table. However, it does not really jive with my goal of keeping changes to a minimum and in line with current design philosophy on ships/ship sections.

2. If I create a fix for it, I will have to ensure it plays nice with the current fixes and any other future fixes I make. If ISBS is natively not compatible with the mod that's the subject of those fixes, it then becomes my responsibility. Normally it wouldn't be a problem for simple mods like Downscaled Ships but ISBS is not a simple mod.

Long story short, it would be difficult for me to maintain potentially complex fixes. What I can do is try making a fix for your unique setup if you can tell me what mods you have enabled aside from my mod and ISBS.

tmonahan23 4 Sep @ 1:42am
Is there a chance you will be doing a compatible fix for the ISBS?

Tal Ara'nh [author] 3 Sep @ 4:54am
@tmonahan23

The ISBS mod modifies the same set of data that allows the AI to build the new ship classes outside those vanilla ones. Without a compatibility fix, the AI won't build either my ships or the ISBS ships.

tmonahan23 3 Sep @ 4:28am
Is this mod compatable with the ISBS: Doomsday Weapons & Shipsmod?
Last edited by Tal Ara'nh; 10 Sep, 2016 @ 7:42am
Tal Ara'nh  [developer] 10 Sep, 2016 @ 7:42am 
Crusader Vanguard 8 hours ago
@Tal Ara'nh - I apologize that this got so out of hand. All I needed was two minor changes to your mod and it blew up into this. I also apologize if my posts came across as "subtly veiled demands", this wasn't my intention. I took your advice and put the events file from the patch into my mod and with the entity change for the Heavy Dreadnought Type D, my Dark Avian mod is now compatible with your main mod by itself.

Thank you for being patient with me and helping me with this.

Tal Ara'nh [author] 13 hours ago
@Crusader Vanguard (2/2)

If I made an impression that the compatibility fix was was for your mod, my apologies. It would be best to put the fix inside your mod, just like what you did with WR and NSC.

Tal Ara'nh [author] 13 hours ago
@Crusader Vanguard

Look, this is getting out of hand. We need to get a few things straight:

1. I made this fix for the origninal Dark Avian mod, not yours.
2. It is never a good idea to split a compatibility fix in two places.
3. Last I checked, the original mod is v1.2.5 compatible. Your requests (and claim that the orginial mod is dead) essentially coerces me to favor your "updated" mod over the original.

I assumed you will just take that event file into your mod since you already took the code for the asset files and made it part of your mod. So why not do that, slap it in yours (satisfies #2 above) and put a note in your mod to NOT use the compatibility fix for the original Dark Avian mod instead of posting all these subtly veiled demands to conform to what you need. Give people some credit to know not to enable both versions at the same time.

Crusader Vanguard 15 hours ago
I hate the 1000 character limit.

I apologize for the tone of these posts, but I'm not sure how else to explain what I need from you. Thank you for trying to do it all yourself, but that's not necessary. Right now, people would have to subscribe to both Dark Avian mods and that won't work.

All I need you to do is this: If you would please delete the gfx folders in the patch, I believe all I need is already changed in the events/template files. After deleting the gfx folders, all you need to do is change the "require mod" link from "Dark Avian Shipsets" to "Dark Avian Shipsets (Updated)".

Thank you for doing this, and again, I apologize for all this frustration.

Crusader Vanguard 16 hours ago
When you subscribe to the mod linked in the post below, go into the gfx files, and you will find your ships are already in the updated Dark Avian mod . You will find them listed as "avia1/2/3_RS_ship_entities_[shipname].asset". I already have the gfx file ready to go inside the mod . I do NOT need you to make any. I thank you for trying to do it yourself, but I have already done it.

You have made the 2 changes I need: the events file that is currently inside the patch needs to stay, it works well. I also needed you to "fix" the Heavy Dreadnought Type D segment template file. I believe you have done this in your main mod. So I believe you have changed the 2 things I need. Please delete your gfx folder that is in the patch. I already have that incorporated into my mod. Once you do that, everything should be set for compatibility.

Crusader Vanguard 16 hours ago
@Tal Ara'nh - Okay, stop. I'm sorry, but you are misunderstanding what I'm asking you to do. I don't mean this post as overly blunt or italicized, but I want to be absolutely clear:

Please do NOT make it compatible with the original mod. It... is... dead, at least it has been for over a month. Forget about that mod. I am uploading an "update" version to fix Dark Avian's compatibility with other mods. The link in my posts here is a direct link to my uploaded, updated mod. PLEASE go there and subscribe to it. I think this is the best way to explain this to you:

http://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760171167

Tal Ara'nh [author] 9 Sep @ 5:52am
@Crusader Vanguard

It works now:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/267225002001600143/D8A0165042ACFA04C8970D44184AAE9323CA559D/

Sorry about the typo (01,02,03 instead of 1,2,3) in the asset files, no issue on the event file. The compatibility fix has been updated to correct the errors. Screenshot was taken with ALL compatibility fixes and their corresponding mods loaded.

Tal Ara'nh [author] 9 Sep @ 5:00am
@Crusader Vanguard

I didn't know the original dark avian mod was still up. I am subscribing and trying it out now. It looks like the graphical cultures in that mod are avia1,2,3 not avia01,02,03. I will correct my fix to reflect accordingly and test.

Crusader Vanguard 9 Sep @ 2:49am
Apologizes, but you can delete the gfx files inside the patch, as they will not work as far as I can tell.

Finally, the Dark Avian mod is still "up", it's just the author hasn't been online in so long it's practically dead. I'm "re-uploading" it to fix compatibility, with credit going to the original author. I'm working out a few final kinks before I "reveal" the mod to the public. I'm hoping that with the 2 specified changes below, that I can add your mod as compatible when I make the "updated" mod public.

Crusader Vanguard 9 Sep @ 2:37am
@Tal Ara'nh - I'm afraid your patch has only fixed half the problem. The coding for the events file looks good. The problem is the gfx fixes won't hold as they don't match the graphic_culture entries I have. Thank you for trying, but I don't need you to make gfx files. That I already have. What I need is the 2 following things to be present in your patch and nothing else:

1. Keep the events file currently in the patch. It looks good and I think it should work.
2. I need you to go into the section template folder of your mod and pull out the Heavy Dreadnought Type D file. Inside of it I need you to change the entity coding on line 10 from this:

entity = "avian_01_heavy_dreadnought_type_d_bow_M1S2SHB_entity"

To this:

entity = "heavy_dreadnought_type_d_bow_M1S2SHB_entity"

Just delete the "avian_01_" from it. Those 2 changes are all I need. The rest I have myself.

Tal Ara'nh [author] 9 Sep @ 2:01am
@Crusader Vanguard

Dark Avian Shipset compatibility fix up. I do not have that mod installed but I am guessing this should be similar to the Stellar Warpaints mod. I am unable to test so your feedback would be welcome. The fix should also play nice with the rest of the fixes above.

Crusader Vanguard 8 Sep @ 8:11pm
@Tal Ara'nh - (2/2)

I'm hoping that you would be willing, through the main mod or a compatability patch, to edit two files so that I may be able to make Dark Avian compatable with your mod: 1, the events file, in which "avia1", "avia2", and "avia3" need to be added to receive avian tech, and 2, the Heavy Dreadnought Type D segment file needs the "avian_01" coding deleted from the front of the bow's entity coding so my asset files will work. Since you have "type_*" in all your coding to distinguish them, I don't know why that's there, but I'm sure you have a good reason.

I'm posting a link to Imgur below with some images I took of what personal changes I made to make this work with my local copy, and 3 images of the different Dark Avian ship sets on your Heavy Dreadnought Type D to show it's possible. I'm hoping you would be willing to assist me to make this possible. However, if you decide to say no, I will respect your decision.

http://imgur.com/a/lIwCM

Crusader Vanguard 8 Sep @ 8:10pm Delete
@Tal Ara'nh - (1/2) I have a proposal/request to make if I may:

I'm currently working on making the Dark Avian Shipset mod compatable again (it's not currently viewable to the public as of this writing). The author hasn't been online to update his mod in some time, and I hate seeing is excellent work go to waste due to un-updated files. I intend to leave him a note, update the compatability of his ship types, give him full credit, and if he asks for me to be taken down the new mod, so be it. In the meantime though:

I have currently made the Dark Avian sets compatable with NSC 2.5 and Warship Redux, and due to capitalization and a funny/perfect misspelling, I can add in yours as well, and I would like to. As you can probably guess though, I have a few files blocking my attempts.
Tal Ara'nh  [developer] 7 Oct, 2016 @ 3:33am 
@folk

Here is a screenshot:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/267227358845935998/45CF7FE236B151D24253D50551B0F8724D7E0DB1/

That was taken with all my compatibility fixes enabled + yours. Only problem is it overlaps with other elements at the top and bottom for 4-section ships.

To do this, you just need to add the rangefinder code in the appropriate ship_size file. Below is the modified code for the heavy dread in the screenshot:

Originally posted by Tal Ara'nh:
# reloadable with 'reload stats'
# This file is where you start when you want to configure something new, then go to sections

@dreadnought_combat_speed = 0.26
@dreadnought_combat_rotation = 0.01
@dreadnought_collision_radius = 10

heavy_dreadnought_type_b = {

# entity = mammalian_01_heavy_dreadnought_type_b_entity
# owner = { graphical_culture = "mammalian_01" }
# is_space_object = no
is_designable = yes

max_speed = 1.8
acceleration = 0.06
rotation_speed = 0.08
combat_max_speed = @dreadnought_combat_speed
combat_rotation_speed = @dreadnought_combat_rotation
collision_radius = @dreadnought_collision_radius
modifier = {
ship_evasion_mult = -0.88
ship_armor_add = 36
}
max_hitpoints = 3600
size_multiplier = 10
fleet_slot_size = 6
section_slots = { "bow" = { locator = "part1" } "mid1" = { locator = "part2" } "mid2" = { locator = "part3" } "stern" = { locator = "part4" } }
num_target_locators = 4
is_space_station = no
icon_frame = 5
base_buildtime = 720
required_spaceport_level = 6
can_have_federation_design = no
enable_default_design = yes #if yes, countries will have an auto-generated design at start

prerequisites = { "tech_mammalian_engineering" "tech_spaceport_6" }

class = shipclass_military
required_component_set = "ftl_components"
required_component_set = "combat_computers"
required_component_set = "rangefinder_computers"
required_component_set = "powerstation_hdn"
required_component_set = "thruster_components"
required_component_set = "ship_sensor_components"
required_component_set = "ship_aura_components"
}

You can then make a compatibility fix with the added RF code above. My limited tests show that there are no issues having both RF+SP codes together even if for example the main RF mod is not enabled. The game just ignores the RF code in the fix and game loads fine without putting up any errors.
Last edited by Tal Ara'nh; 7 Oct, 2016 @ 4:02am
folk 7 Oct, 2016 @ 6:48am 
So how do I know which 00_ship_sizes.txt the game will load then?
Is it just alphabetical, so that since my mod starts with "S", it will load after "R" and overwrite Rangefinders ships?

Jeez I can't wait for whatever ship code changes they've got queued for 1.3.
folk 7 Oct, 2016 @ 7:07am 
Yeah, it does not work for me.

I think it might be related to load order from the file system.
Which probably depends on your documents folder location vs game install location vis-a-vis physical HDD location as well as operating system details.

Like I run Linux, and Windows-Linux-Mac are not guaranteed to load files in the same order.
Tal Ara'nh  [developer] 7 Oct, 2016 @ 7:11am 
@folk

Good question. Yes, it is alphabetical but my understanding is mods are loaded as per mod list in the Stellaris launcher, top to bottom. Also, the mod that loads first will takes precedence. That means that the RF mod will take precedence over your mod.

However, in this case, I modified your compatibility fix and inserted the RF code in it. Since it starts with a "C", it took precedence.

I think you can just modify the existing compatibility fix and add the RF code in it. It loads before the RF mod so it takes precedence. However, that means you have to include ALL ship size files in the compatibility fix (not just mine) so they will all have the RF code and yours.

Lastly, even if the RF mod is not loaded, the game just ignores the RF code in the compatibility fix. This means the compatibility fix will have "built-in" support for RF.
Last edited by Tal Ara'nh; 7 Oct, 2016 @ 7:18am
Tal Ara'nh  [developer] 7 Oct, 2016 @ 7:24am 
@folk

The only issue I can see is that my rangefinder fix loads before your fix. :) In my testing, I had to disable it and enable yours instead. Maybe I can just include your code into my RF fix. Let me try that.
Tal Ara'nh  [developer] 7 Oct, 2016 @ 8:11am 
@folk

I think the easiest solution for you would be to:
  1. Rename the fix so it is listed before my RF fix.
  2. Include the 00_ship_sizes.txt file from your main mod in the fix.
  3. Include RF code in your fix.

#1 get rids of the issue with my RF fix taking precedence. #2 & #3 makes sure your mod takes precedence over the main RF mod. #3 puts built-in support for RF.

If you wish to make a fix for RF without my mod, it has to be separate. Just remove the ship size files for my mod in the fix and that should be it.
Last edited by Tal Ara'nh; 8 Oct, 2016 @ 8:05am
folk 8 Oct, 2016 @ 8:29am 
Cool, thanks for spending time on this, I will try tomorrow.
b1nb4sh 3 Nov, 2016 @ 2:41pm 
Can you make your mod working with http://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=790455347 ?
It would be a nice replacement for rangefinder :)
Tal Ara'nh  [developer] 4 Nov, 2016 @ 4:00am 
@b1nb4sh

Advanced Ship Behaviour Modules compatibility fix up!
Crusader Vanguard 15 Nov, 2016 @ 2:59pm 
So I just spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out what the hell I did wrong with my Plantoid Heavy Dreadnought asset coding. The culture ID is correct, the ship light effect change wasn't misspelt. So, in frustration, I start searching through the Realistic Ship base code, and to my great relief:

I found out it's your fault! :steamhappy: LOL!

I need you to please add this to your Heavy Dreadnought G ship size coding please! I'm about to release my "Dark Plantoid Shipsets" mod.

graphical_culture = { "plantoid_01" "c_plantoid_02" "c_plantoid_03" "plantoidred" "plantoidorange" "plantoidyellow" "plantoidchartreuse" "plantoidgreen" "plantoidaquamarine" "plantoidcyan" "plantoidazure" "plantoidblue" "plantoidviolet" "plantoidmagenta" "plantoidrose" }

Thank you!
Tal Ara'nh  [developer] 15 Nov, 2016 @ 6:53pm 
Busted. :)

I will have it updated later today. Looking forward to seeing your new mod. :)
Crusader Vanguard 16 Nov, 2016 @ 7:03am 
Originally posted by Tal Ara'nh:
Busted. :)

I will have it updated later today. Looking forward to seeing your new mod. :)

I'm sure you've seen my "Master Color Image" (as I call it) at the top of the description for the Dark Avian mod. I have the one of Dark Plantoids, and I like it even more. You're sneak preview (for being kind enough to update your mod pre-release, thanks):

http://imgur.com/a/IsTSD

Really the only thing I cannot figure out is how to better light the ships than I already have. They aren't "ultra dark", but they aren't as properly lit as I would like either.

EDIT: As a heads up, at some point in the future I'm coming back, as I think I'm going to try this for all 7 main species.
Last edited by Crusader Vanguard; 16 Nov, 2016 @ 7:08am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 82 comments
Per page: 1530 50