Arma 3
Dynamic Recon Ops
Marcomies 6 Oct, 2016 @ 7:05am
Feedback and Bugs
Great scenarios, thanks for making them! These missions have been an invaluable source of COOP content with various mods. Mission generator like this should be a part of the base game.

I have encountered a couple more or less reproducible bugs when playing COOP. We have been playing on LAN server over Hamachi in various maps using CBA with CUP maps/terrains with either the rest of the CUP modules, RHS or Unsung mod. Apart from these issues pretty much everything has been working great:

1) Only host and AI can drive vehicles (other than helicopters), when other players try to drive, the vehicles are stuck like Valdyr described.

2) Only host can release captives, other players don't get the interaction option.

3) If player is ran over by another player, the victim's camera can remain stuck where it was when the player hit the ground and no longer follow the character in either 1st or 3rd person after revive. This might have something to do with the victim holding binoculars, sitting or saluting at the moment of incapacitation.

4) Dragging a incapacitated player does not usually work. The player gets stuck almost instantly and can then only turn around with the body but not move to any direction.

5) Some of the AI squadmates are sometimes turned off when host enters character gear customization from the class selection screen. Their names disappear and their loadout can't be selected and if you enter play with them they won't be part of the squad or follow oders. This can sometimes be fixed by moving back and fort between gear customization and class selection screens untill the names show again.

6) Mortar fire support sometimes never arrives after it has been ordered. Might be an issue with too long range or mod incompatibility though.

I also have couple requests/suggestions:

- If possible, it would be nice to be able to pick an IFV like BMP or Bradley as a starting vehicle, only wheeled vehicles seem to be available with mods other than Unsung which lets you take M113 models.

- It would convenient if you could select two starting vehicles so you could have, for example two jeeps but still move the entire 8 man squad or have half of the squad in APC and another half in a heli.

- Maybe Ground could be the default starting mode instead of random? I would imagine it is the most common selection.

That's about all I can think of right now. Looking forward to new ops and thanks again for making these.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 172 comments
baby yoda executed by the state  [developer] 8 Oct, 2016 @ 1:12am 
Hi Marcomies, thanks for the in-depth feedback!

The slow vehicles should hopefully be fixed with the latest patch and the revive issues will no longer occur as I've just switched to BIS revive over R34P3R's.

Regarding the characters being turned off, the core idea is intentional, though it sounds like it might be going a bit wonky. As I originally intended the mission to be played with 4 players I thought it would make sense to disable the other 4 to so that the default setup is more like it was before the mission covered the full 8 units.
What you should expect to see is a red or green X on the left side of each unit entry and the last 4 should be green when they're disabled. The units should also be invisible. Clicking that X will add and remove them from the group, making them visible and invisible as appropriate. Sounds like some of that isn't working as expected though - please let me know whether it's what you see or not.

I think there might be an issue with CUP units being supports - as I'm just using the base Arma 3 support system everything should work fine, so it could be something the CUP team would need to look into. Was it a CUP faction you were using or something else?

Regarding your suggestions -
I'm reticent to add any heavier vehicles for spawning as the mission is intended to be a smaller scale infantry scenario. I'd like to tackle a combined arms scenario some time in the future though.
Selecting two vehicles would make sense though!

Marcomies 8 Oct, 2016 @ 6:22am 
Hi, thanks for the fixes! The only major bug with the BIS revive system seems to be that the AI squadmates are always respawning to the FOB as base game NATO rifleman.

I tested the characters turning off problem a bit more. I did this in LAN game that I hosted.

Picture1: http://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=777030179
The starting situation. All units have names, four of them are selected and present. Other four are uselected and not present.

Picture2: http://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=777030210
From the situation of the picture2, I go to the “set insert location” -map and when I return from there, four of the previously unselected units have been selected but they have lost their names and they are not present. The class of these units can not be changed.

Picture3: http://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=777030234
After picture2, I unselected units from 5 to 8 and then reselect unit 8. The units 8 is now selected and also present (the units appears when it’s reselected after being unselected) but still has no name and the class still can’t be changed.

After further testing it seems that only AI units that are selected and present will be functional after squad leader entering the “set insert location” -screen. If I entered the screen after picture3, unit 8 would have regained its name and its class could be changed again. If I visited the insert location screen after picture2, none of the units would regain their names and functionality because while they are selected, they are not present.

So it turns out this bug is pretty easy to work around at least. Hopefully this helps with fixing it.
Marcomies 8 Oct, 2016 @ 4:07pm 
Ran into a couple bugs this evening.

Destroy structure tasks seem to be impossible to complete with some buildings. Had this problem twice on Altis.

One building was "Chapel (Small, New) containing Russian (VMF) stategic elements" at 193176. This building could simply not be destroyed, it survived several explosive charges and RPG hits.

Another building was "Stone House (Brown) containing Russian (VDV) strategic elements" at 215110. This building could be destroyed in two halves, but even when both halves were destroyed the building was not considered destroyed.

Another type of bug was Retrieve Intel item that was apparently inside/under a building that could not be entered (we tried blowing up the building but that didn't help either). This happened at Esseker with the building on coordinates 071021.
LW | yustin 9 Oct, 2016 @ 8:09am 
I would appreciate a slight change to the vehicle selection - maybe, the ability to spawn with several vehicles? Instead of one drop down for starting vehicle, 2-4 drop downs, with the default on 2 thru 4 being <Empty> or something?
baby yoda executed by the state  [developer] 14 Oct, 2016 @ 12:36am 
Thanks Marcomies! I had a little play around with that menu bug earlier, shouldn't be too difficult to fix.

The destructable buildings can be a problem, yeah. I've done a lot to try and work around it with no success yet and so far I haven't found a way to predict if the issue will occur. The possible buildings are filtered so that only buildings with destructable states are chosen and I've gone as far as to use eventHandlers to detect explosions near them so that they can be considered destroyed by only a little damage. Possibly it's something more fundamental I'm missing as the problem has persisted. I'll keep digging!

I'll look up that building on Esseker too. That's the problem with doing everything dynamically, there are so many variations that there always seems to be something that slips through!

天 Symmenix - Yeah, I think a second vehicle dropdown would certainly be useful. I'm trying to avoid bloating the menu too much so I'll keep it at two for now and see how that is for people.
Johnny 28 Oct, 2016 @ 7:13am 
wanna add the xcam prototype map to the pool?
AdmiralAlabama 2 Nov, 2016 @ 9:29am 
Hello, first off. I love your work and find the missions nearly perfect! However i miss the option for helicopter insertion. Are you planing to add this? I would also love to abush a convoy or somthing cool!

Annyway, great job!
baby yoda executed by the state  [developer] 5 Nov, 2016 @ 5:55am 
Johnny - Is that Taunus? I'm intending to port to that when it's ready for release.

bajs - Thanks! Yeah, I had a lot of problems with helicopter insertions in the earlier days of this mission and decided to remove them. I'd like to revisit them in the future but there are a few other things that are taking priority right now.
With the new AI driving convoy missions might be viable, I'll look into it at some point.
Johnny 5 Nov, 2016 @ 6:46am 
no I was specifically talking "xcam prototype" but damn! that taunus map looks nice :Dcan't wait
AdmiralAlabama 5 Nov, 2016 @ 10:57am 
Alright! I would be also cool to actually choose what mission to get, like rescue hostages, clear base etc!
Marcomies 5 Nov, 2016 @ 1:20pm 
A suggestions about the "destroy structure" tasks. Would it be possible to make it so that the task is completed by destroying the "strategic equipment" rather than the building itself (the building would still be destroyed in the process presuming it is destructible)?

Currently I think the destroy structure missions are doable at about 50% rate in custom maps and only little better on Stratis/Altis. Any building that has several destructible states/parts or has only a destroyed texture can't be destroyed properly it seems.

And thanks for all the updates and patches to the missions!
Last edited by Marcomies; 5 Nov, 2016 @ 1:21pm
baby yoda executed by the state  [developer] 6 Nov, 2016 @ 7:59am 
Johnny - Aha, that does ring a bell actually. I'll have a look around.

bajs - Unfortunately that's probably not going to be possible to do - when DRO is choosing what objectives to take it uses a lot of info from the terrain around the AO - whether there are flat areas or helipads for helis to spawn on, whether there are roads for vehicles, buildings for intel etc.
One thing I could try it to give a preferred objective selection, but those would have to be overrode by the objective system in case no valid locations were found (say no buildings were in the AO for intel objectives to use). I'll give it a proper look once I've sorted out the current revive system project, as it's definitely been requested a bunch.

Marcomies - Yeah, those tasks are a real puzzle. I've made it easier and easier for them to complete, currently only a moderate amount of explosion damage to a building should make the task complete, but it's obviously breaking at some other point. Your suggestion might be the way forward if the equipment pieces respond to damage.
Dan Dead Or Alive 11 Nov, 2016 @ 10:24am 
Hey mbrdmn,

I just found what I think might be a new bug with the latest patch you just rolled out.

If you disable respawn in the parameters before the mission starts while ago disabling the Revive Timer during mission set-up players instantly respawn infinitely. You are also kicked out of the squad you are in.

Unfortunately, I’m testing this at a time of day where no one else that I play ARMA with is on to also test it. If someone else could just repeat what I just did to confirm results; setting up a local server, disabling revive in the parameters, and then disabling the revive timer in the next screen.

I said it before but great work creating these missions!:steamhappy: The newest patch is amazing how AI will call out in chat who they're going to revive and actually revive them in a quick manner.
baby yoda executed by the state  [developer] 11 Nov, 2016 @ 11:19am 
Hey man, thanks for the report! I can reproduce that on my end too so I'll try and get a hotfix ready ASAP. Cheers!
Gubernaut 13 Nov, 2016 @ 3:33am 
Hey after I got me and my squad in the chopper for extraction I hit the option that said "unload objective" (is that the wording it was?), but the chopper would never take off, then I decided to get out of the chopper, THEN the chopper took off and left me behind, not sure what happened there but I waited a long time the chopper even fought off waves of the reaction forces with it's gatling gun.

Another suggestion for the revive don't let the progress icon disappear before the revive is finished it looks confusing. Also, really I have to go with no revive at all because the squad gets too hard to control they will blindly run to revive and get killed, they don't seem to respond to regrouping or stop orders. I know the AI control interface is pretty weird but if I could tell who to revive and when it might work better.

(So then later using no revive) I noticed after I get killed and switch to the next unit in the squad I lose all objective info and task and stuff like icons, well it would be good to keep that stuff so I can hope to complete my mission.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 172 comments
Per page: 1530 50