Hearts of Iron IV

Hearts of Iron IV

Adiya's Historical Flag Pack
Adiya  [developer] 11 Jun, 2016 @ 2:23am
Historical Flag Discussion in Depth
The flag is wrong?
The flag is not historically accurate?

If you have anything to say about historical flags that are using in the mod, please shoot here.

NOTE 1
A historical national flag, means the flag existed historically and was officially adopted by the goverment (or regime) in history. Party flags are not legitmate national flags unless they were officially adopted as the national flag.

NOTE 2
The priority of flag use among variants:
  • State flag
  • National flag
I am always using STATE FLAG (different frome STATE ENSIGN) as the first choice. The common difference between a state flag and a civil flag is whether there is coat of arms or not. And in these cases, the state flag is always used as national flag.

Some nations have only NATIONAL FLAGs, then I'm stick with it.

Flag from some nations has a particular regulations of use, I will follow those regulation to choose the right flag variant which presents the government and used in state/nation matter.

Here are some examples:

Italy: Fascist Italy uses the same monarchy(neutrual) flag of Kingdom of Italy, as the state flag with coat of arms and crown, and the civil flag without crown. The democratic Italy Republic uses the only tri-color national flag without coat of arms.

Poland: According to polish regulation of use of the national flag, the one without coat of arms is used for govermental purpose, as the state flag; the one with coat of arms is used overseas and as ensign. There are also slight color difference between different time period, was also adopted in mod to differentiate each flag.

NOTE 3
Flag discussion regariding non-historical ones, please go to the Non-historical Flag Discussion thread.
Last edited by Adiya; 16 Jun, 2016 @ 12:57am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 62 comments
Dear friend... PLEASE... change this irational polish communistic flag. Polish People Republic had flag same like normal Poland- only white and red. To be honest. Flag of polish republic isnt bad, but is incorrect. This version of flag is named as "state flag with emblem". In interwar period was used only for diplomatic/trade meetings or as selior flag. This flag is used in ambiessies in foreign countries. The most correct is simple white-red version
Adiya  [developer] 11 Jun, 2016 @ 4:41am 
Originally posted by The Turk:
What is your source on how it looked? Znxnz just posted a text link, no image. In Nanjing War Museum (the brand new one) they use the war flag for the Communist Chinese. I've never seen the one you posted anywhere. I understand that using a military flag is less favorable, but the Yan'an Soviet was a brief intermission as the Communists sought to win power. They were effectively an army on the move, a "guerilla" movement. I don't see the problem with showing their far more commonly used war flag. I can't post pictures here, but if you look at the WW2 Museum in Nanjing, their "hall of flags" does not even include the one you showed, although it includes the "war flag" (as you have labeled it). Please do consider revising that decision.
detailed reference
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/cn-csr.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Soviet_Republic

the earlier chinese webpage was an official text description about the flag by CCP, in Chinese of course. So it's official definition.
Adiya  [developer] 11 Jun, 2016 @ 4:52am 
Originally posted by Rykow:
Dear friend... PLEASE... change this irational polish communistic flag. Polish People Republic had flag same like normal Poland- only white and red. To be honest. Flag of polish republic isnt bad, but is incorrect. This version of flag is named as "state flag with emblem". In interwar period was used only for diplomatic/trade meetings or as selior flag. This flag is used in ambiessies in foreign countries. The most correct is simple white-red version
I'll look into it
Sorry, i was mistake about PRL flag (Polish people republic). Simply im didnt use it and im tell about screen from mod site. PRL flag in mod is nice. Is unhistoric, and unreal, but is nice ;-) Polish flag with coat of arms is better for neutral. This mod is good. Sorry for mistake :) Im only more pro old comunistic flag than your))
Adiya  [developer] 11 Jun, 2016 @ 7:26am 
Originally posted by Rykow:
Sorry, i was mistake about PRL flag (Polish people republic). Simply im didnt use it and im tell about screen from mod site. PRL flag in mod is nice. Is unhistoric, and unreal, but is nice ;-) Polish flag with coat of arms is better for neutral. This mod is good. Sorry for mistake :) Im only more pro old comunistic flag than your))
I did some research, it seems there is really some regulations about the use of Polish flag

Flag without coat of arms
Organs that are required by law to fly the national flag without coat of arms either on top or in front of their official buildings are:

the Sejm (lower house of parliament);
the Senate (upper house of parliament);
the President of the Republic;
the Council of Ministers (cabinet) and the President of the Council of Ministers (Prime Minister);
Voivodeship sejmiks (provincial legislatures) – only during their sessions;
other state and local government organs – only on national holidays.
Additionally, the national flag without coat of arms is used as an ensign for inland navigation.

Flag with coat of arms

Flag with coat of arms
While the ban on using the flag without coat of arms has been lifted, the use of the national flag with coat of arms is still legally restricted. This flag should be only flown:

on or in front of Polish embassies, consulates and other representative offices and missions abroad, as well as by Polish ambassadors and consuls on their residences and vehicles;
at civilian airports and heliports (civil air ensign);
on civilian airplanes – only during international flights;
on buildings of seaport authorities;
as a merchant (civil) ensign.
In practice, however, this restriction is often ignored and the two flags – with and without coat of arms – are treated as interchangeable. The variant with the coat of arms is particularly often used by the Polonia, or Polish diaspora outside Poland, especially in the United States.

With my mod I am trying to use the most proper/ideal state flag in aspect of historical accuracy. the Polish flag without coat of arms is the most suitable one to use, as you said.

Thanks for your advice, having some insight thought from people from the country is very helpful.

Regarding PRL, before your mentioning it, I thought the communist Poland regime was fictional anyway (since vanilla com POL flag is fictional), so I chose another fictional flag which looks legit since it's similar to DDR flag.
@Adiya
Im reccomand you choose screen in overwiew of mod, becouse in it there are "old" flags
I think the Brazilian flag is wrong..
can you send the references of the flags?
Adiya  [developer] 11 Jun, 2016 @ 6:27pm 
Originally posted by Felipe:
I think the Brazilian flag is wrong..
can you send the references of the flags?
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Brazil_(1889-1960).svg
Ostvik 12 Jun, 2016 @ 9:25am 
I don't think any communist country would have had a christian cross on it's flag. Pls change this for the scandinavian countries especially.
Imperator 12 Jun, 2016 @ 10:21am 
Could you post a link to the flags you designed?
RocketMcGregor 13 Jun, 2016 @ 5:41am 
Japanese flag original flag in game is actually correct, that was the flag used during WW2...
Adiya  [developer] 13 Jun, 2016 @ 5:50am 
Originally posted by PINKY:
Japanese flag original flag in game is actually correct, that was the flag used during WW2...
it was the army war flag, not legitmate enough to represent a regime, a goverment or a nation. Besides, if using war flag, why army, not navy?
http://imgur.com/a/zgO4p

Fascist/communist flag variations for Lithuania. Non-aligned flag correction included.
Adiya  [developer] 13 Jun, 2016 @ 8:20am 
Originally posted by Sniper (LTU) gr9:
http://imgur.com/a/zgO4p

Fascist/communist flag variations for Lithuania. Non-aligned flag correction included.
The communist one is already included in the mod, the exact design.
The fascist one however, I adopted the vanilla flag with coat of arm in the center, fine-tuned the tri-colour. You can check the mod preview image to find it.
The difference between your design and vanilla one is the red shield. I'm not Lithuania, so I have no idea about the histroy behind the coat of arm or the sign or the shield. I found this shield looks fine though.
Marius 13 Jun, 2016 @ 11:51am 
Dear Adiya,

I do believe the flag of the NSB / Dutch Rijk is wrong. This is the correct flag the NSB (facist) uses.

http://i1.wp.com/historiek.net/wp-content/uploads-phistor1/2007/11/nsb-vlag.jpg?resize=180%2C120

Thank you!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 62 comments
Per page: 1530 50