Space Engineers

Space Engineers

Midspace's exploration ship scan [EOL]
Screaming Angels  [developer] 7 Feb, 2015 @ 9:20pm
Completed: Tracking derelicts
I intend to add live tracking information, to allow you to track a scanned target and display that information on the top of the (mission/quest) screen, allowing you to navigate to the location without having to rescan multiple times to find your bearing.

This will allow you to find a derelict much easier. If it is drifting derelict however, you will need to rescan to find the updated location once you are closer. This is not an active radar system. (I'm hoping KeenSWH are developing an active system.)
Last edited by Screaming Angels; 4 Mar, 2015 @ 4:11pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
abordoli 8 Feb, 2015 @ 5:34am 
Possibly make this a feature so that you can toggle on/off as I find the present system to be a good balance in that it doesn't directly give the ship's exact location to you and poses at the very least...some challenge.

When you do "...display that information on the top of the (mission/quest) screen..." (I assume that you mean the HUD), be careful not to place it over the curent position of the "Current Position: X: <x> : Y: <y> : Z: <z>" information that is provided by the "GPS and Waypoint" Mod. This information, as it is positioned, sometimes gets obscure already with location pinpoints that are directly above your craft.

-A
Screaming Angels  [developer] 8 Feb, 2015 @ 3:48pm 
I have been considering making this an additional command.
Once you have scanned for derelicts "/scan"
Then you would use "/track #12", which would set the #12 ship in scan as an objective.
Once you reach the locale, the objective should complete successfully.
If you exit the cockpit or are killed, then the objective should cancel.

Frankly I haven't been too happy about how the GPS and Waypoint mod is using the information at the top of the screen. The API is marked for use for "Objectives".
Objectives are goals or in RPG parlance, quests.
The GPS and Waypoint mod displays information there permanently (unless you turn it off).

An Objective makes sense for the scan mod, as once you reach a derelict, the Objective is complete.

Admittedly the problem isn't completely tyrsis's fault, but the lack of UI API's in the game and a lack of documentation on how to properly use the APIs.

But yes, if both the /scan and /wp mods are written properly, both should show up on the screen and not compete for display.
Pontiac 17 Feb, 2015 @ 10:55am 
In the current build, can you add a "ignore #5 on/off" to ignore whatever is reported in #5? I've not looked at the code (if it is there) but since you're calculating distance, you've got the X/Y/Z calculated somehow, so, if whatever is found at that location, don't display.
abordoli 17 Feb, 2015 @ 3:22pm 
@Screaming Angels : I've been doing some "experimenting" with Midspace's Admin Commands in conjunction with the /scan mod (especially the /id command) and I'd be more than happy to share my findings. First-off, can I asume that you, Screaming Angels, are "Midspace" and the author of these mods?
Screaming Angels  [developer] 17 Feb, 2015 @ 4:41pm 
Originally posted by Pontiac:
In the current build, can you add a "ignore #5 on/off" to ignore whatever is reported in #5? I've not looked at the code (if it is there) but since you're calculating distance, you've got the X/Y/Z calculated somehow, so, if whatever is found at that location, don't display.
There can be more than one ship at a location. But, I'll have a look into it. What you are asking for is reasonable and possible. :)
Screaming Angels  [developer] 17 Feb, 2015 @ 4:43pm 
Originally posted by abordoli:
@Screaming Angels : I've been doing some "experimenting" with Midspace's Admin Commands in conjunction with the /scan mod (especially the /id command) and I'd be more than happy to share my findings. First-off, can I asume that you, Screaming Angels, are "Midspace" and the author of these mods?

Me has been around for a while:
http://forums.keenswh.com/profile/2270400
Pontiac 17 Feb, 2015 @ 5:40pm 
With this script, I've just started blowing ships up, which causes parts to fly all over the place. Maybe tag in a range as well? So [] would check to see if a ship is at that exact location. [] would black list anything in that radius or diameter. I noticed after a relog in SE that what is ignored isn't retained through sessions, so I guess adding something to list and un-ignore an ID wouldn't really be needed.
abordoli 18 Feb, 2015 @ 9:57am 
Originally posted by Screaming Angels:
Me has been around for a while:
http://forums.keenswh.com/profile/2270400

Awesome! Just wanted to make sure. I really enjoy the mods that you make, but as a relatively newer player to the game (bought it just when Survival Mode was released), I missed out on seeing your SEToolbox in working order (let me know, though, if it is now working so that I can check it out). On the other hand, your "Admin Commands" seem to do a a lot of the functions that I was particularly interested in.

That being said, I've been heavily uising your "/listships2" (and "/id" command while pointed at pieces of my "creation") to try to isolate my "floating stairs" situation and remedy the situation by re-designing said segments so that they are BOTH not their OWN "Platform XXXX" of 1 block AND showing up in the "/scan" results page, but rather attached to their respective station by adding some neighboring blocks/glass, etc..

My goal, of course, is to "clean-up" my stuff so that the "/listships2" results reveal an actual list of my stuff rather than junk (your "/tps" <ship/platform name> has been great in seeking down, finding and deleting (CTRL-X) stuff hurtling millions of miles out into space).

I am also hoping that the "/listships2" command might reveal derelict ships/stations that I might have passed (spawned into existence), but failed to "/scan".

Can you confirm that THIS logic (in the above sentence) is sound in accordance with the way your "/scan" mod works BEFORE I proceed with further questions?
Last edited by abordoli; 18 Feb, 2015 @ 10:03am
Screaming Angels  [developer] 18 Feb, 2015 @ 4:16pm 
The /listships and /listships2 will list all individual grids.
This means a ship with piston doors, or rotating parts will get individual entries. This is how it appears within the Space Engineers logic.

/scan will purposely try to group items by either rotor or piston, presenting them as a single entity. Connectors and merge joined grids are not ignored, as they are considered docking points and thus separate grids.
abordoli 19 Feb, 2015 @ 11:06am 
So to be clear, "/listships" (and "/listships2") "could" be used as a "world-wide" "/scan" for "derelict ships/stations" IF all the "owned" and "powered" ships/stations and "user-created-space-junk" were ignored, correct?

If so, THIS would be a great tool to have.
Screaming Angels  [developer] 19 Feb, 2015 @ 5:47pm 
Yes, /listships and /listships2 displays everything.
But you have to remember that exploration ships are procedural. They can appear and dissapear from your world until you have claimed or altered them (damaged, moved, etc).
Exploration ships are only appear in game when they are in your visible range (20km default).
abordoli 20 Feb, 2015 @ 5:10am 
Is that "visible range" of your engineer as wel as visible range of a "remotely controled probe"?
Screaming Angels  [developer] 20 Feb, 2015 @ 6:24am 
That's a good question. I would assume visible range only applies to the currently controlled entity.
abordoli 20 Feb, 2015 @ 6:31am 
Yes, I have noticed that the derelicts pop in at a range of 20km. Just found a couple paired together. It seems that I get a good third of my finds arriving in pairs.
Screaming Angels  [developer] 4 Mar, 2015 @ 3:31am 
Tracking is now implemented.
Please comment if you like it or not.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Per page: 1530 50