Left 4 Dead 2

Left 4 Dead 2

Overkill
Overkill - Review by Endless
★★★ 3/5: A decently made and fun campaign

Overkill is a bit of a mixed bag for me. For one, it looks pretty good and nails the abandoned city style quite well. The nightsky, the wrecked vehicles and the silent of the city creates a very good atmosphere that's quite good and creating a sense of realism. Overkill looks pretty good like that, and while it lacks some detail, it has more than enough quality to its design to compensate for it. So, visually speaking, this is pretty solid!

The gameplay is also well balanced and has a nice level of challenge without being too overwhelming. There's multiple hordes and a good selection of special spawns, but you always have the opportunity to survive and there's plenty of ammo and weapons to go around. Exploration feels more welcoming like this. The finale (or finales, since the last 2 maps are almost the same) is pretty intense and has a nice last-stand vibe to it. It kind of reminds me of 28 Week Later.

On the other hand, the scripted events are a bit too clunky for me. There's a van that you have to defend throughout the initial maps, and it becomes particularly tedious when reaching the neurotoxins area. You'd think you can hop in and ride along, but no, or at least I was not able to. You have to move behind the vehicle and endure the constant damage. If you're playing with bots, it's a bit of a hassle.

Overkill is fun and solid. There's no major problems or issues, other than some of the scripted events, but there's also not that much to it. Due to the van events, the replay value scores down, at least to me. If you'd like some night-time city fun, well, play this! It's a pretty nice ride for the first time. Pun intended.

PS: This campaign also has some solid voice acting! That was a welcomed change of pace. :steamthumbsup:

Endless reviews:
https://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2769307412