Space Engineers

Space Engineers

Lightning Rod
General Space  [developer] 28 Jun, 2020 @ 7:18am
Help improve the lightning rods with your vote!
I have submitted a feature request on the SE support site to allow modding of target selection logic for lightning[support.keenswh.com]. Not only would this allow me to make the lightning rods more useful, other modders would no doubt come up with even cooler applications. If you think this would be a good addition to the game, click the link, give the request a thumbs up, and let KSH know!
Last edited by General Space; 2 Jul, 2020 @ 9:53am
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
General Space  [developer] 1 Jul, 2020 @ 5:34pm 
Thanks!
Kevin Starwaster 8 Sep, 2020 @ 7:22am 
+1
(don't know how to thumbs up it)
General Space  [developer] 8 Sep, 2020 @ 7:51am 
@Kevin Starwaster, thanks for your support! When you follow the link in the post, it will take you to my formal feature request on the KSH support site (the main location for feature requests). Each request has a thumb up button in the lower left corner. The more support a request gets, the more likely it is to get an official response and possibly be incorporated into the game. I don't think you need to be logged in to use it. Hope that helps!
Kevin Starwaster 10 Sep, 2020 @ 5:24am 
done
kinngrimm 26 Apr, 2021 @ 4:33am 
was the perfect reason to registrate there anyways =)

btw if you are into rathzer obscure and rarely and rather specific advantages of gadgets ... having the lightning rod conncected to batteries when lightning strikes should help recharge those batteries hrhr ... just a thought.
MisterMann 16 Jan, 2022 @ 12:25pm 
What this mod needs is a splicing of the Batteries program. Take's 2 lightning bolts to fully power it with any excessive energy to start damaging it. And stored power would be set to discharge like a battery. Might need to change the building materials needed to make it. But anything would be better now than it being unusable after 1 lightning strike and using resources to repair it every time.
Peekofwar 2 Oct, 2023 @ 8:27pm 
Originally posted by kinngrimm:
was the perfect reason to registrate there anyways =)

btw if you are into rathzer obscure and rarely and rather specific advantages of gadgets ... having the lightning rod conncected to batteries when lightning strikes should help recharge those batteries hrhr ... just a thought.
Maybe it needs some kind of superconductor super-capacitor power cell or something, rather than regular batteries.

Originally posted by MisterMann:
...with any excessive energy to start damaging it.

Which is why you'd need some kind of logic running on the creation to detect when it's full then stow it safely where it can't be damaged or overcharged. Imagine using such power to energize some kind of super-weapon...

Actually, imagine if you had to build a path to ground from the lightning rod using special blocks... This would mean the energy would not damage the rod much and its energy would be safely grounded.
Last edited by Peekofwar; 2 Oct, 2023 @ 8:33pm
General Space  [developer] 3 Oct, 2023 @ 6:17am 
@Peekofwar, man I wish you could see the discord convos that led to the original creation of this, because all that stuff was dreamt about from the very beginning. I wanted to do a custom capacitor that could receive a lump sum of charge in proportion to the amount of damage intercepted from the lightning strike multiplied by a random coefficient. Then that capacitor (which would essentially be a battery hard-coded to "discharge") could dump its charge into the other batteries and power consumers on the grid at their normal power transfer rates. Once that was done, I wanted to add a lightning arrester and a script that could cause damage or strange behavior to random functional blocks on the grid if the capacitor(s) were full and no lightning arrester was present to divert the surge of power. Then I was going to look at a custom "lightning array" superweapon which could only be powered by lightning strikes.
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Per page: 1530 50