Garry's Mod

Garry's Mod

gm_wuhu
Coping Kobold 28 Aug, 2020 @ 3:58pm
We have been fooled. This map is no mere port.
I was once like you. I thought this was simply a collection of imported models, ripped from a decade-old Wii game. Ripping is incredibly easy these days, I thought.There was no better way to do this kind of thing, I thought.

I was dead wrong.

The first hint I got was that the geometry along the cliff paths was a little wigglier than I remembered.
"Huh". I thought. And nothing more.

The next was the geometry of the map. Noclipping through the map, I noticed several areas where the geometry clipped through itself. "That's odd. Nintendo is usually much cleaner with their polygons."

The eureka moment came when I noticed something ELSE about these overlapping polygons.

The distinct mark of a square lightmap grid, unnoticeable by the smooth transitions in-bounds on the map, revealed by the unnaturally sharp outline of a piece of clipped geometry.

"Props in Gmod are vertex lit. They don't have light maps."

Frantically, I opened my favorite video game reference tool, noclip.website[noclip.website], and loaded wuhu island. The truth was, in that moment, laid bare. The geometry was simplistic. The textures, smoothly blended. The layout of the island? Completely different. The town is tiny in comparison to the island. The beach is as big as the volcano. The bridge was at a 45 degree angle. There was even a path to the beach. Not only was this Gmod map inaccurate, it looked BETTER. (Source's glitchy water notwithstanding, of course.)

Stunned, I switched back to my game to confirm my findings. A simple console command was all I needed: mat_wireframe 1.

And there it was. Lighting up in bright blue, the props were revealed. The trees, the waterfall, the cave bridge, all models--but the island itself? A blinding white cross pattern--the signature of the Source engine's built-in dispacements.

My friends, this is no rip. This map was built from scratch.
Last edited by Coping Kobold; 29 Aug, 2020 @ 7:03am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
dbramblet 1 Sep, 2020 @ 1:34pm 
i mean, it is sorta in the description that it's a fan recreation
Coping Kobold 4 Sep, 2020 @ 12:55pm 
Who reads descriptions?
why did you even write this
Coping Kobold 12 Sep, 2020 @ 11:09am 
I felt like being dramatic.
white25539 29 Oct, 2020 @ 4:16pm 
I too didn't read the description and was a bit disappointed, but it's still a good map
Coping Kobold 31 Oct, 2020 @ 9:56am 
Originally posted by white25539:
I too didn't read the description and was a bit disappointed, but it's still a good map
Dsappointed!? The fact that it's made from scratch is incredible!
white25539 31 Oct, 2020 @ 12:25pm 
Originally posted by Copious Kobolds (Zoshi):
Seems like someone didn't read the second half of the comment!
Coping Kobold 31 Oct, 2020 @ 2:49pm 
Originally posted by Copious Kobolds (Zoshi):
Seems like someone didn't read the second half of the comment!
I did too read it. I just meant that the part that disappointed you is the part that amazed me.
Last edited by Coping Kobold; 31 Oct, 2020 @ 2:52pm
Cleptic 7 Oct, 2021 @ 3:40am 
The writing feels like LazyPurple's video where he goes insane simply from SFM.
this is the complete opposite of a creepypasta and I love it
Coping Kobold 3 Jul, 2022 @ 8:52am 
Originally posted by Extem The Hedgehog:

You. You get me.
Originally posted by Cathode Ray Kobold:
Originally posted by Extem The Hedgehog:

You. You get me.
:missing:
SlushiePopLauren 16 Aug, 2023 @ 8:41pm 
Man I just installed the map before I read this I was worried you were gonna go on about finding a spooky creature in the map or something lol
Originally posted by MoonlightLunatic:
Man I just installed the map before I read this I was worried you were gonna go on about finding a spooky creature in the map or something lol
oh no that's another thing:floweyevil:
Originally posted by Coping Kobold:
Frantically, I opened my favorite video game reference tool, noclip.website[noclip.website], and loaded wuhu island.

what is this link about?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 1530 50