RimWorld

RimWorld

Empire
JACK 11 Aug, 2022 @ 8:34am
"Getting Started" guide?
anyone have any resources other than the wiki about how to approach this mod on a general level? I'm enjoying it but I'm no tactician and I feel like I could use some basic strategy advice. what's generally the preferred way to balance things, common pitfalls, etc

alternatively, if anyone has some 101 level tips they'd like to offer, I wouldn't mind :)
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
GrynnReaper 2 Sep, 2022 @ 11:48am 
I can't even find the faction customisation tab...
Danimineiro  [developer] 3 Sep, 2022 @ 5:21am 
there is a lot more help to be gotten on the discord tbh
It's hard to help people in the forums here in comparison
JACK 6 Sep, 2022 @ 9:06pm 
I've played a little more and gotten the hang of it at least enough to keep myself MOSTLY afloat, so in case anyone else is looking for this I'll share my basic approach. please note I'm still a beginner and you'll probably still have better and more sound advice going to the discord like the esteemed dev recommends :) also note that of course this is just ONE approach, but this advice is geared for rubes like me who are trying to find ANY footing and are too stubborn to just go approach someone for help in a chatroom, hahaha

- tithe is when you get resources from a settlement. tax is when you get money from a settlement
- when assigning workers to a job, look at the number on the top right and just keep clicking until that number goes down instead of up. I'm pretty sure that's only true if you want profit (so if you're desperate for steel, for example, you could take a bigger loss in exchange for assigning more workers to getting you steel) but don't quote me on it
- first settlement somewhere temperate, focus on military with a little wood or animals to help offset costs. this will defend your other settlements. I think that decision is under the military button on that settlement's page (it says something like automatically defend settlements) but click around a little
- pretty much all of this is about clicking around a little. or, again, asking for help, which I can readily admit would be the sensible and mature option
- second settlement focus on cash flow. desert mines are good for this. this is also where you're going to send any prisoners you don't have space for, but make sure they're all or mostly healed before you send them off unless you REALLY want rid of them. it's your choice whether to work them to death or keep them around (you can decide that from the prisoners button on that specific settlement's page), and pretty much depends on how many prisoners you regularly take to replace them. prisoners basically function as additional workers that you can assign before the number on the top right goes down instead of up. the second settlement helps to offset the costs of the first settlement once the wood or animals can no longer keep up
- third settlement you can start getting fancy and tithing what you want, or go for more cash flow
- if you aren't sure of what you're doing, focus on traits that forgive military failure or increase military strength. I want that roads trait too man but we can't build roads if we're getting our cheeks clapped by the pink ibex coalition or whatever
- if you want to tithe a settlement, it will be the NEXT tax cycle. like, they have to finish the order they're working on, deliver it, and THEN they'll work on getting you your tithe. you can adjust the timing of this a little with the resolve bill button on the bills screen but I'm still getting a feel for that mechanic
- I don't know what happens if your settlement hates you and I'm scared to find out have a nice day

hopefully most of this is correct and a testament to the ingenious design and intricacy of the mod that I was able to learn it by experimenting! thanks!
Saakra  [developer] 22 Sep, 2022 @ 7:44pm 
You got it pretty spot on, Jack! Thanks for enjoying it :)
Latex Santa 20 Dec, 2022 @ 4:15am 
Originally posted by JACK:
I've played a little more and gotten the hang of it at least enough to keep myself MOSTLY afloat, so in case anyone else is looking for this I'll share my basic approach. please note I'm still a beginner and you'll probably still have better and more sound advice going to the discord like the esteemed dev recommends :) also note that of course this is just ONE approach, but this advice is geared for rubes like me who are trying to find ANY footing and are too stubborn to just go approach someone for help in a chatroom, hahaha

- tithe is when you get resources from a settlement. tax is when you get money from a settlement
- when assigning workers to a job, look at the number on the top right and just keep clicking until that number goes down instead of up. I'm pretty sure that's only true if you want profit (so if you're desperate for steel, for example, you could take a bigger loss in exchange for assigning more workers to getting you steel) but don't quote me on it
- first settlement somewhere temperate, focus on military with a little wood or animals to help offset costs. this will defend your other settlements. I think that decision is under the military button on that settlement's page (it says something like automatically defend settlements) but click around a little
- pretty much all of this is about clicking around a little. or, again, asking for help, which I can readily admit would be the sensible and mature option
- second settlement focus on cash flow. desert mines are good for this. this is also where you're going to send any prisoners you don't have space for, but make sure they're all or mostly healed before you send them off unless you REALLY want rid of them. it's your choice whether to work them to death or keep them around (you can decide that from the prisoners button on that specific settlement's page), and pretty much depends on how many prisoners you regularly take to replace them. prisoners basically function as additional workers that you can assign before the number on the top right goes down instead of up. the second settlement helps to offset the costs of the first settlement once the wood or animals can no longer keep up
- third settlement you can start getting fancy and tithing what you want, or go for more cash flow
- if you aren't sure of what you're doing, focus on traits that forgive military failure or increase military strength. I want that roads trait too man but we can't build roads if we're getting our cheeks clapped by the pink ibex coalition or whatever
- if you want to tithe a settlement, it will be the NEXT tax cycle. like, they have to finish the order they're working on, deliver it, and THEN they'll work on getting you your tithe. you can adjust the timing of this a little with the resolve bill button on the bills screen but I'm still getting a feel for that mechanic
- I don't know what happens if your settlement hates you and I'm scared to find out have a nice day

hopefully most of this is correct and a testament to the ingenious design and intricacy of the mod that I was able to learn it by experimenting! thanks!

This is pretty much what I did, except I would pair up settlements, one tile distance from one another - one money-making TOWN, and another settlement called a FORTRESS, specialized for military power. I, too, would select military traits useful for defense, and set the FORTRESS' military forces to protect the TOWN automatically. Then I would upgrade the two in parallel, and add maybe one economic building to the FORTRESS to help offset costs.

I would only ask for taxes, and re-invest the money into my settlements. When I earned enough, I would found another pair, one tile distant from the first two. The idea being, that military forces from multiple FORTRESSES can respond against any one enemy incursion and crush them with sheer military power.

The temperate forest biome was the best one to set up in, since you could build economic buildings specializing in exploiting timber (wooden logs production) and animals, and there were several such buildings available for both resources, ending up with very good production in both products.

I really miss playing with the Empire mod, since I really enjoyed "painting the map" with my own settlements, and treating my actual player-controlled colony as a capital and elite offensive force.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50