Rivals of Aether

Rivals of Aether

Remilia Scarlet
Zwataketa  [developer] 17 Mar, 2020 @ 2:36pm
Balancing Discussion
This thread is for discussing Remilia's balancing and, if necessary, suggesting balance changes to be made in a future version of the character.
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
IronYacker 21 Mar, 2020 @ 2:20pm 
I feel like it's too easy for your opponent to parry the second hit of your forward tilt, it makes it risky to use. I dunno, perhaps I'm just not good at using it at the right times
Zwataketa  [developer] 22 Mar, 2020 @ 3:40pm 
If they get hit by the first hit they should not be able to parry the second. I'll have to check on that then. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
IronYacker 22 Mar, 2020 @ 8:25pm 
ah, np! It only really happens against level 9 cpus
Hed Leeman 14 Dec, 2020 @ 7:00pm 
When hit Remilia doesn't have any chance of recovery. The hitstun lasts until she lands on the ground making you unable to jump or up/forward special to recover.
Zwataketa  [developer] 14 Dec, 2020 @ 10:01pm 
Originally posted by Hed Leeman:
When hit Remilia doesn't have any chance of recovery. The hitstun lasts until she lands on the ground making you unable to jump or up/forward special to recover.
Unless there's something I don't know about character making, I'm pretty sure that's just a thing with the game, not the character. If I am wrong, though, I would like to know how to fix that.
Hed Leeman 16 Dec, 2020 @ 2:27pm 
It's definitely not just a thing with the game, everyone else is able to recover to some degree. Sometimes you get hit for a high amount of damage and can't recover before getting KO'd, but Remilia gets hit by any attack for any amount of damage and is in hitstun until dead or on the ground.
Zwataketa  [developer] 21 Dec, 2020 @ 11:07am 
Originally posted by Hed Leeman:
It's definitely not just a thing with the game, everyone else is able to recover to some degree. Sometimes you get hit for a high amount of damage and can't recover before getting KO'd, but Remilia gets hit by any attack for any amount of damage and is in hitstun until dead or on the ground.
In that case I'll see what I can do to fix it. It'll depend on when I can get a response on the RoA discord, though.
Zwataketa  [developer] 21 Dec, 2020 @ 11:42am 
@Hed Leeman I believe I have fixed the issue now. Please let me know if you feel that Remilia needs any more tweaks.
Hed Leeman 21 Dec, 2020 @ 3:34pm 
So the recovery from hitstun feels a little slow but it's there now, which is good.

As far as tweaks go, I feel like the specials and down smash could use some work.

Up special has a decent aesthetic with it's going up and diving. Being unable to wall jump after the dive hinders but doesn't kill recovery(just barely not clearing the ledge at the height of the move feels bad man), having that extra jump mitigates this somewhat. If you intended the character to be more offensive at the expensive of being easier to kill you should probably increase it's power a bit, I was unimpressed the times I managed to land it. It seems predictable with relatively low payoff.

Side special seems to be more for mobility than the attack part, if that's intentional I would give it just a bit more range. I didn't really try to use it to help recovery yet so I don't know if it leaves you in a helpless falling state or if it is the way I should be trying to recover by using it before the up special. If you intended it to be an attack maybe it should do a little bit more damage or maybe make it 'drill' like having lots of little attacks throughout.

Neutral special should have less windup or more knockback, not sure how much though. The windup seems to be for aiming and leaves you pretty vulnerable.

Down special probably shouldn't be once per life, and personally I feel it might be cool to swap the move out entirely with something like 'red the nightless castle.' If you're going the danmaku approach, however, you should probably just let the player reuse the ability. I think that'd probably be sufficient for zoning.

I'm not sure what's up with the down-strong/smash, is it trying to fire a projectile diagonally down, kind of like the up smash? Is it really short range? I might just be a baddie here, but if it's supposed to be firing a projectile diagonally down then you should start the projectile a little higher so it won't collide with the floor immediately on spawn.

The other moves feel about right, though I can't really comment too much on the up smash because I'm too much of a baddie to land it. I quite like rushing up with the side special and hitting with lots of those little wing jabs. Overall Remilia feels a little underpowered, but only a little, and that is better in my opinion than being over the top (and also might be my fault for not being a good enough player, there might be some huge combo potential in there that I'm missing).
Last edited by Hed Leeman; 21 Dec, 2020 @ 3:37pm
Zwataketa  [developer] 21 Dec, 2020 @ 3:46pm 
Down Special isn't once per life, it's just got a really long cooldown between uses. I can lower that. And you can walljump out of upspecial, but only before Remilia starts her descent. (this detail applies to Flandre as well).

The side special is meant to have a sweetspot that sends the opponent at a far downward angle, making it high risk high reward ... at least in the air. The grounded version is a bit underwhelming, I'll admit. I based the move heavily off of it's incarnations from the Touhou fighting games, where it carries the opponent as it travels. I could make the grounded version go a bit farther perhaps, and make it so that hitting with the side special in midair grants Remilia another midair jump instead of making her helpess, but ONLY if it hits, so the risk is still there.

Neutral Special is meant to be a powerful projectile with a slow chargeup time and long endlag. Perhaps it should be buffed damage and knockback-wise to further reflect this, since it is one of Remilia's strongest moves after all.

Down strong is a spike, think like Luigi's down taunt but as an actual move. I've also been able to use it to combo the opponent, since it doesn't send them very far. Ultimately, it's one of her less useful moves, but it has its purpose. The one thing I wish I could do is make it spike opponents standing on fallthrough platforms.

Thank you for the input. I'll take these into account for balancing the character. I do hope you'll also try Flandre (who just released today) and let me know what you think! ^^
Last edited by Zwataketa; 21 Dec, 2020 @ 4:22pm
Aqahar2 14 May, 2021 @ 12:28pm 
Can you please fix F-air. its not bad in terms of damage/ knockback, but the move is a bit to large. It makes the move so spammable that half of the time a stock can be taken from F-air Spam to N-air. Really it just needs to be up special size and that should be it. other that that this character feels like a master piece.
Zwataketa  [developer] 3 Dec, 2021 @ 8:01am 
Wanted to say, an update for Remilia will be coming at some point. I'm still working on sprites, so I can't say when it'll be, but overall it should make Remilia more fun to play.
SIMΩMEGA 11 Sep, 2023 @ 9:14pm 
She's way too broken imho, especially her N-Special and Nair lol, other than those she controls very awkardly with the way she's so fast to move and play in the air.
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Per page: 1530 50