Slay the Spire

Slay the Spire

The Exalted - NO LONGER SUPPORTED
Ascept  [developer] 26 Sep, 2019 @ 9:59am
Feedback
Tell me about those stupidly OP deck builds and card interactions that feel like cheating the game and I'll see what I can do about'em.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Alphanumerai 27 Sep, 2019 @ 9:31am 
Hey. Didn't expect to like the Exalted nearly as much as I do!

Loving the unique feel of the Combo and Elemental effects, they're surprisingly well planned and implemented. Usually when people have made Combo systems for characters they end up being an incomprehensible, unplayable mess.

I liked that the elemental effects feel distinct from one another, although the combined elements don't feel AS unique. I found myself losing track of which ones combine for what effect, I'm assuming they're based on the system in Warframe but having never played it I didn't exactly find them intuitive.

Toxin inflicting Poison is pretty standard, Cold and Slow was a little unexpected as devs don't tend to use Slow much. Electric dealing only 3 damage per hit is a little underwhelming. Burn is surprisingly effective, given its damage seems to increase exponentially with higher stacks.
It's not that difficult to get 10 stacks of an element and load enemies up with debuffs, Slow and Electric can't really keep up with Poison and Burn. Slow doesn't stack and damage from Electric doesn't increase at all.

The combined elements are a bit of a mixed bag too, Magnet is a good one for certain enemies, but I mostly found myself using Irradiate and Gas, both having comparable effects If I remember right. Intoxicate that makes enemies 'deal damage to each other' and Blast are both seriously underwhelming, neither feel particularly better than their component elements.
Hm.. I can't immediately think of the other one, I'm sure there's a 6th though.

Anyway, I can see alot of thought went into making this character work in Slay the Spire, I just wish he had a few more element-specific attacks besides the Rare ones, as they're the only way to inflict basic elemental effects if you've got one of the combined ones active.
Which reminds me, I was a little confused as to why elemental stacks can go above 10 and 100% proc rate. I mean, I got past 20 stacks with some and the descriptions say 200% chance to apply.
I would like some way to have normal and combined elements at the same time, not exactly sure how it might work, but I imagine you'd be able to figure something out if you wanted to allow that.

One weird issue I came across, would technically be a soft-lock if I didn't have the Quick Restart mod on: if you activate the Power that adds 1 to debuffs applied to enemies and then the card that increases Strength until the end of turn and grants some Heat, the power continuously triggers on the 'lose Strength at end of turn' debuff on the PLAYER, causing it to keep increasing indefinitely.

Other than that, I like the use of Flight, but his Attack that deals damage based on stacks of flight seems ridiculously overpowered. That card also has the only description where it isn't clear exactly how much damage it will do, as it only has static values, rather than calculated one like other cards.

Overall he does feel stronger than the base characters, but I think that's mainly because of things like that Flight attack and stronger on-hit effects.
Ascept  [developer] 27 Sep, 2019 @ 10:22am 
First of all, Thanks a lot for your feedback! lenghty comments are always really nice to get.
Second of all, sorry for that bug with Intensify, turns out I didn't add to the code for it to check for Debuffs you apply on enemies, so it checks for ANY debuff you apply (even in yourself). I'm fixing that inmediately.

Let's see. Elemental effects are, as you said, based on Warframe's elemental effects, as well as the fact that they combine with each other in the way they do. I want to keep mainly loyal to that concept, but some adjustments can be done. Regarding going above 100%, that just means you can apply the effect several times in a single attack (so stacking electricity means you deal 3 damage several times), this makes Blast and Electricity a bit stronger than you may think at first. Magnetic is pretty niche, but can be very strong on specific fights (like the Time Eater), it's also a very niche effect on Warframe. I agree that cold may be a bit underwhelming though, so I may increase the amount of slow you apply with each attack, but keep in mind that it will still increase the damage by an additional 10% for each card you play, so it's like a stronger version of vulnerable.

And yes, the character is currently pretty strong. I decided to default to the stronger version of my ideas at first, and then take some steps back to balance things out, rather than making the character too weak and having people drop it before really trying it. I don't thinkg that the card that uses flight is THAT strong, though. Ironclad's Fiend Fire, with the many ways the Ironclad has to gain strength, will deal more damage than that card on average, unless you use up your 3 Flight from Archwing (having a recovering 3 flight is pretty good) or you use Patagium to stack it higher (which then means you are hoping to get both cards together).

By The Way, I think I'll add an small explanation of elemental powers and how they combine on the mod's frontpage, for people that, like you, don't have experience with Warframe. I think that may be better than cluttering the card's with extra information.
Alphanumerai 27 Sep, 2019 @ 7:12pm 
Ah, I wondered if it it might be able to apply multiple effects over 100%, wasn't expecting it to actually work though. That could be made a little clearer too I think.

I sometimes found I wanted to switch elements partway through a battle as I'd made a combined one that wasn't particularly useful. Is there any mechanic in Wareframe that lets you remove or switch active elements?
Ascept  [developer] 28 Sep, 2019 @ 1:37am 
I mean, you can swap and change any mod between missions in warframe (including the elemental mods), but not really while in the mission (in this case a combat). Knowing the enemy and getting the correct elemental combinations before the battle is one of the main things in Warframe, that's why I made the elemental mods be innate (if upgraded), so you can choose the order and what combination to use.
Alphanumerai 28 Sep, 2019 @ 8:49am 
Ah I see that's a nice way of fitting that in.
Akihito 14 Oct, 2019 @ 1:26pm 
I'd really like it if innate elemental cards could draw a card if your argument is truly what you're going for. Once you get up to a certain amount of innate elementals in your deck your first turn is completely negated. You kind of have to run bag of prep and gambling chip and not pick up anymore elemental cards in order to not have a garbage opening turn
Ascept  [developer] 14 Oct, 2019 @ 2:01pm 
Originally, the starter relic would make you draw an additional card whenever you drew a power card, which helped with that regard, but that made it less useful as starter and very powerfull lategame. For now, I think that the issue of having too many innate elementals works in a way as an indirect limitation so that you don't get too much elemental power too easy, since elemental damages are one of the big power spikes for the character.

Im considering adding an upgrade to the starter relic (like the black blood from the ironclad) to maybe recover the "draw when power is drawn" effect and alleviate that starting hand issue in a more rewarding way than just having that possibility for free.
Akihito 15 Oct, 2019 @ 5:42am 
Yeah, Personally I'd like it if you had a way to gain elemental out of battle, maybe nerf the gains a little bit in order to accomodate that, just so you can feel like you're modding in the real game getting ready for a mission and not afking in the middle of a mission to add an elemental effect instead.

I am really enjoying this mod though, it's probably my favorite character mod and the only one that I've actively been grinding the ascension for but the higher ascensions you go the harder it is to justify having a garbage opening draw without the correct relics
Ascept  [developer] 15 Oct, 2019 @ 6:29am 
thanks, I'm really glad you are enjoying it!

I actually dabbled in the idea of having some mods that you'd make use of out of combat, like what you said (along other things like having a shield that recharges), but the concept ended up straying too far off what Slay the Spire is and I didn't want that. Nevertheless, I'm working on adding some relics and I'm definitely adding some sort of "Gain X element at the start of combat" or maybe a "Bottled Whatever" relic that will let you select a power card and have it activate at the start of combat. I know it's not the same, but I think it works better for the kind of game Slay the Spire is.
Akihito 15 Oct, 2019 @ 3:03pm 
Why not add a system in like the Guardian mod where you're able to mod effects into cards? Could be something like just having one card which will let you at least use all of your elementals at once? Say for example call it pre-modding and giving you all of your elementals up to a certain cap and drawing one card? It could be linked to the starter relic
Morgoth 20 Oct, 2019 @ 5:28pm 
Generally i really like this mod. One of the things i find a bit broken is the fact that magnetic can remove the "Beath of Death" buff from the Heart. Another thing is that bleed seems a bit too strong.
Fervent Paeans 12 Dec, 2019 @ 7:38am 
I agree that bleed seems to be a little too strong, I had that + a very defensive deck and it did about 200 damage to the awakened one by itself. I think having 5(8) bleed on a single 1-cost card is overpowered, especially when compared to (1/dmg per stack instead of ≈10) poison on the Silent. Perhaps make it exhaust, two-cost or "Apply 1(2) bleed per attack this turn"?
Ascept  [developer] 13 Dec, 2019 @ 7:29am 
I mean, I stacked 1372 Poison on the Awakened one with a Silent defensive deck, so that doesn't sound so bad. Bleed is supposed to be stronger than poison against bosses, since it's always weaker against normal monsters (that have less than 100 HP, hence receiveing less than 1 damage per stack). Also, the main way of applying bleed is through 2 different Rare cards, so is harder to stack it than it is for poison. Though I agree that Rending Strike can be too strong for it's cost (relative to other cards from this same mod).
RanDomino 21 Dec, 2019 @ 2:27am 
Good production quality but horribly unbalanced. It's too easy to set up a turn-1 infinite combo with the card that draws 2 when discarded.
Ascept  [developer] 21 Dec, 2019 @ 11:20am 
The character is intentionally strong (corrupted Dragon Keys can balance that out in a way, although not the best way, I admit), but never thought that Quickdraw was OP. It's not too different from Silent's Reflex, but this characters has way less options to discard cards. Setting up an infinite should be possible, but was it really that easy?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 1530 50