Arma 3
Hell-Heli : Altis Autorotation Practice
dr_strangepete  [developer] 10 Nov, 2013 @ 5:42am
feedback/improvements/suggestions/2cents
i get ideas from others ideas, so, sling away.

currenty under development are:
  • missions - combat+non-combat roles. initially i will just be focusing on the transport/support/csar combat roles instead of S&D fire missions.

• flight path recorder - every xx-seconds record pos+vector+velocity to use for respawn. intention is for repetitive practice landing at the same LZ.

• improving weather selection (low priority)

• a couple (1, maybe 2) autorotation examples - you watch then you try, for those just getting started. (low priority; like i said, youtube)
Last edited by dr_strangepete; 10 Nov, 2013 @ 5:42am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
[TWBS] SPARTAN 10 Nov, 2013 @ 9:22am 
My recommendation would be to look into creating some demo paths using BIS_fnc_unitCapture and BIS_fnc_unitPlay. You could then spawn the player in the co-pilot seat and allow them to "watch" how a certain manouver is executed before trying it themselves.

I'd really suggest looking at Dslyexci's MH-6 Practice Scenario[forums.bistudio.com] for Operation Arrowhead as it remains one of the best exampls of how to create a helicopter training mission.

If you need help creating flight paths I'd be more than happy to contribute a few :)
dr_strangepete  [developer] 14 Nov, 2013 @ 4:43pm 
i may take you up on that...but don't need alot, maybe just a few different types of scenarios/LZs. got any particular maneuver or skill you'd like to show off? i'm only good for basic, and seat-of-the-pants ARs hehe

originally i had been trying to not impose on dslyexci's script, and just have something of a sandbox practice....i'm still hoping he updates that script for A3, although that would negate my scripts existance :D
Speck 27 Jun, 2015 @ 10:15pm 
I'm very new to trying to mess around with this stuff, and I've been digging around your code, but I can't seem to figure it out. So, how can I add helicopters that I have through mods to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dr_strangepete  [developer] 30 Jun, 2015 @ 9:05pm 
On line 46 of 'dsp_main.sqf', is a variable array named 'dsp_var_heliClass' - add the classname of the mods you have to this list; the order written is the order displayed, if you want your new heli at the top of the list, just put it first.

and just to clarify, the array is 'classnames', not actual names; if you are unsure, open the A3 mission editor, open the dialog to add a new unit - when you select your new helicopter, the classname will be displayed in the titlebar of the dialogbox.

Thus, a "MH-9 Hummingbird" has a classname of "B_Heli_Light_01_F".
Last edited by dr_strangepete; 30 Jun, 2015 @ 9:05pm
sEi 8 Sep, 2015 @ 3:26am 
Would be nice to be able to load the chopper with passengers as the handling is different when loaded (especially the little bird) - As it is now a 'rotor damage' doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Or my game is maybe 'broken' ;)
dr_strangepete  [developer] 9 Sep, 2015 @ 4:32pm 
@sEi - i forgot rotorlib factored that in...as for tail rotor damage not seeming to work: is there a specific helicopter this happens in? only in rotorlib vs vanilla? manually induced failure or triggered with "random enabled"?
sEi 15 Sep, 2015 @ 3:55am 
Originally posted by dr_strangepete:
@sEi - i forgot rotorlib factored that in...as for tail rotor damage not seeming to work: is there a specific helicopter this happens in? only in rotorlib vs vanilla? manually induced failure or triggered with "random enabled"?
I tested several choppers. I used advanced flightmode. I tested by manually select a "rotor damage".
/sEi
Last edited by sEi; 15 Sep, 2015 @ 3:58am
dr_strangepete  [developer] 20 Sep, 2015 @ 3:39am 
EDIT: something is bugged on my end too; i think a game update may have broken something (and not necessarily on my end)

i note that if i change helicopters, then manually induce a tail failure, the heli will jerk into a rotation, but immediately stop, and act as if its not broken...
Last edited by dr_strangepete; 20 Sep, 2015 @ 3:44am
dr_strangepete  [developer] 2 Dec, 2015 @ 2:50pm 
[RFC] I think i've tracked down the Tail Rotor Failure issue when using the AFM, a fix is in the works. I'm taking this opportunity: REQUESTING TRANSLATION FIXES - it could be awhile till this is updated again!
Speck 5 Dec, 2015 @ 9:41am 
Awesome!
8-The-General-8 16 Mar, 2019 @ 8:17pm 
Due to character limit have to post this in three parts...the post above is second part...etc., etc., etc.... (...........??)

(Edit: I just decided to post here instead of comments...)

PART I

G'day!

Due to your video i happened upon recently I have actually been able to fly and land a heli after being able to configure the controls properly as your link to the info file, yet I think it has some confusing control combinations such as using '+' for two functions yet you state otherwise in your video. So, I adjusted it so controls aren't combuned but both there... If that makes sense...

I was wondering if you could do a quick guide about this and just correct that info. so I am sure I have the right setup to keep mastering the basics.

Also, would you happen to know which key to use on a laptop numpad that gives external view in editor? I noticed you were promoting a certain laptop (Nice one by the way...) so you would know which key actually works with a laptop?

Apparently, this is a bit of a problem when using the editor or if you play Hard Core servers that only have fpv. Something to do with files or something, sorry for vagueness, a lot of posts are not clear and few and far between...

PART II

Also, the cfg file seems really different currently to the list of functions/statements you shared at the link too. Have they revised it so that basic controls can't be modified anymore or something?

Just wondering what you use as a keybind if the numpad enter doesn't work with the laptop you state you use.

Any advice you could give is greatly appreciated, and watched your videos several times as they are amongst the most useful for Arma3.

Also, thank you very much for your videos, great to see Misconduct linked to as well, I really enjoy his videos too. And, thank you for reinstilling my will to give the whole shambles of flying with the default configuration of controls... another go. I really enjoyed my first real control of an heli.

Practising as much as I can now and getting used to taking off, going through difficult terrain at low Alt and landing from different speeds as Dyslexia's (?) excellent videos discuss as well.

PART III
Unfortunately though, as mentioned above (actually, 'below'...), I have hit a wall as without external view it is hard to practise manoeuvres that are complicated and in relation to immediate terrain such as landing between buildings. Frustrating as F*, actually. Hope there is a solution to this so I can at least see how I am doing and not suddenly crashing all the time when I want to try something a little...'tricky'.

Thanks again!

Where can I donate anyway? You have helped brought me a whole other area of fun in Arma3 (As buggy as it still is after so many years.... *sigh*)

Last edited by 8-The-General-8; 17 Mar, 2019 @ 1:03pm
8-The-General-8 16 Mar, 2019 @ 8:27pm 
Oh, and what to do with autohover and tailtrim manual(??) in command menu again?

Set both to off or on?

Thanks yet again!

JeTZzOfficial 27 Nov, 2019 @ 7:12pm 
could you add a percentage chance for engine failure so that we can do random tail rotor only failures, please
Jigalo 23 Jan, 2020 @ 3:59pm 
i know that when i click shift+left mouse on the map, i will get teleported to that spot. are there more features? like a button for repair
dr_strangepete  [developer] 22 Feb, 2020 @ 2:45pm 
@8-The-General-8 sorry for the delay, rough year. I'm not sure which videos you are referring to, as I've only made two demoing the script, but there is no talking, control explanation, nor laptop mention; I believe you were watching someone elses video. If i recall the '.' period key on the numpad controlled view, but you'll have to check your settings.

When the script runs it shows a little help box that should show a couple keybindings as they are configured locally, if thats what you saw. First person view is controlled with your difficulty settings and the script should not affect that. Also, I see you mention hardcore servers, I would like to clarify that this script is singleplayer-only as I've written it. Its possible someone adapted it though...

I appreciate the kind words, and glad you're enjoying otherwise!

@FeA_JeTZz If i get time this year to do some bug fixes I'd be happy to try and throw that option in, that's a great idea.

@Jigalo no there are no other features, atleast that I can recall haha. The map bindings are fairly easy to implement, but I never added a key for repair because of the difficulty in not colliding with existing bindings, and creating new bindings I believe can only be done with in a full add-on
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Per page: 1530 50