RimWorld

RimWorld

RimThemes
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
aRandomKiwi  [developer] 7 Jul, 2021 @ 2:29pm
[Video Background]
Since Rimthemes NX rev5, background video (UI_BackgroundMain.BGPlanet.ogv file in the Textures folder of your theme) needs to be converted on WEBM format (with VP8 video encoding), because of the replacement of the Unity MovieTexture by VideoPlayer (the Unity version used by Rimworld 1.3 set MovieTexture as Obsolete).

So you just have to add a version of your UI_BackgroundMain.BGPlanet.ogv file in WEBM format (UI_BackgroundMain.BGPlanet.webm) and keep both (to ensure backward compatibility with Rimworld <= 1.2 players).

Generaly generic conversion of OGV file format video to WEBM format generate blurry and bad quality video output.

So to solve this issue, you need to first download the ffmpeg.exe tool (http://ffmpeg.org/), then use it to convert your OGV video, by typing theses commands in your command line (cmd.exe, bash, ...)

ffmpeg.exe -i "<PATH OF YOUR OGV FILE>" -vcodec libvpx -acodec libvorbis -b:v 0 -crf 30 -pass 1 -f webm "<OUTPUT PATH OF THE WEBM GENERATED FILE>" ffmpeg.exe -i "<PATH OF YOUR OGV FILE>" -vcodec libvpx -acodec libvorbis -b:v 0 -crf 30 -pass 2 -f webm "<OUTPUT PATH OF THE WEBM GENERATED FILE>"

Concrete example :

ffmpeg.exe -i "c:\temp\UI_BackgroundMain.BGPlanet.ogv" -vcodec libvpx -acodec libvorbis -b:v 0 -crf 30 -pass 1 -f webm "c:\temp\UI_BackgroundMain.BGPlanet.webm" ffmpeg.exe -i "c:\temp\UI_BackgroundMain.BGPlanet.ogv" -vcodec libvpx -acodec libvorbis -b:v 0 -crf 30 -pass 2 -f webm "c:\temp\UI_BackgroundMain.BGPlanet.webm"
Last edited by aRandomKiwi; 7 Jul, 2021 @ 2:34pm
< >
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
iLumiX 31 Oct, 2021 @ 1:19pm 
I tried following through with these commands but it provided me with subpar results. Did anything change after this post, or did I do something wrong? I could use some assistance, thanks in advance.
< >
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
Per page: 1530 50