RimWorld

RimWorld

Combat Shields
Shield Equipping Issue
My pawns are never actually equipping the shields, I do, however, see them on raiders on occasion so I've started to wonder why they'll equip the shields, but my pawns will not.

Since raider pawns do I suspect there's no issue compatibility wise which leaves me to suspect that I'm simply just doing something horribly wrong, but it's not like I have much other options.. They pick up the shields and that's it.
The pawns are wearing clubs and in their description UI it states they are equipable with shields.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
I've narrowed it down a bit further, my pawns will wear shields if they don't have a weapon and I then tell them to wear it, but as soon as I wear a weapon, they'll switch out the shield for it instead.

That feels like it defeats the purpose of shields in the first place especially when they say they work with 1 handed weapons. I've tested without having any mods and it is the same in vanilla rimworld. They won't use shields if they have a weapon.
Kyoto 12 Sep, 2021 @ 8:25am 
Having the same issues, only certain shields work for me, riot is the highest one that I can get to work with my melee, I'm pretty sure the others work fine with most of my 1h guns though.
Originally posted by Kyoto:
Having the same issues, only certain shields work for me, riot is the highest one that I can get to work with my melee, I'm pretty sure the others work fine with most of my 1h guns though.

It's funny though, because it will force spawn in pawns with shield and weapons equipped, but you yourself can't. I've tested this in both CE and non-CE. The issue persist..

I've had to resort to using dual wield mod so I can at least equip my weapons in an offhand and shield in the mainhand though that had the funnny-not funny consequence that tribal raiders would spawn with a main hand weapon, an off hand weapon and a shield all equipped.
Last edited by Professor H. Farnsworth; 13 Sep, 2021 @ 6:04am
Kyoto 18 Sep, 2021 @ 5:41am 
Think I've solved the issue, so far it works with every melee weapon I've tried it with. ( Includes 1h guns.)

Simply changed all Light_Shield tags to Large_Shield.

Rimworld\mods\Combat Shields\1.3\Defs\thingdefs\Apparel_Shields.xml -> Replace with
this -> https://pastebin.com/gW3SkuLf

FOR 1.3 ONLY
Last edited by Kyoto; 26 Sep, 2021 @ 9:21am
1004641652 25 Sep, 2021 @ 5:38am 
any idea why when I use the Large_shield tag all the shield just disappear in my game?XD
Kyoto 25 Sep, 2021 @ 4:45pm 
Originally posted by 1004641652:
any idea why when I use the Large_shield tag all the shield just disappear in my game?XD

That shouldn't happen, are the shields still in the game / usable? If it does work, I'd just add them in through debug / a mod, as it most likely won't happen again.

But if it isn't working, are you on 1.3? Made sure it was the right file you actually modified? (Apparel_Shields - NOT Apparel_ShieldBase)

Looking at the 1.2 version, it doesn't use these tags and probably breaks it.
1004641652 27 Sep, 2021 @ 1:32am 
it is strange, after I edit the 1.3 files, even when I download the original mod again shield still not in my game.... I dont what happened XD
Kyoto 27 Sep, 2021 @ 3:28pm 
Originally posted by 1004641652:
it is strange, after I edit the 1.3 files, even when I download the original mod again shield still not in my game.... I dont what happened XD

Is the mod enabled for that save? Only thing I can think of at that point.
I would never edit a mod directly, each time a mod updates it will overwrite whatever you changed.

do an xml patch, it's easy and they're actually documented, that way you can change the mod without it being changed each time.
lukasdbak 3 Oct, 2021 @ 8:46pm 
Im still having this problem, even after trying the fix above. oddly, one of my colonists managed to get her shield equipped, but the other four are still unable, even with the exact same loadout. some further help would be much appreciated. the specific shield im using is the nguni, with spears.

other mods include the vanilla expanded family and awesome inventory. are there any known conflicts there?
lukasdbak 3 Oct, 2021 @ 9:26pm 
Originally posted by lukasdbak:
Im still having this problem, even after trying the fix above. oddly, one of my colonists managed to get her shield equipped, but the other four are still unable, even with the exact same loadout. some further help would be much appreciated. the specific shield im using is the nguni, with spears.

other mods include the vanilla expanded family and awesome inventory. are there any known conflicts there?
i seem to have discovered a work around for my issue by equipping the shield from the inventory (via right clicking) . i also deleted some tags, but that didn't appear to do anything
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 1530 50