Divinity: Original Sin 2

Divinity: Original Sin 2

Interesting Uniques (Definitive Edition)
Al 28 Mar, 2020 @ 12:53am
List of changes, and adding back thievery
I am a big fan of this mod. Thanks baardvaark for putting it together. There are some very creative item modifications here.

Some comments have asked about finding the full list of changes this mod makes and whether the items with certain civil skill bonuses can be reverted. I did some experimenting, and it turns out we can do both of these things ourselves with a little work.

List of changes

What you need to do first is find the .pak file for this mod in the Larian Studios folder on your system. For example, on my machine the address is: C:\Users\Alex\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\Mods. Note that the .pak file from this mod is actually called "UniqueUniques[string of random characters].pak" not Interesting Uniques. Note also that this is not in the DOS2 folder in the steamapps directory, but the Larian Studios folder. We will go there later.

Extract the .pak file using the LSLib app (Larian provides a link and example here) [docs.larian.game]. This is done using the top "Extract Package" box on the second tab (the tab called "PAK / LSV Tools"). Make sure you extract the .pak contents into a new separate folder in the destination path (say, a blank folder on your desktop).

Open the folder you extracted the .pak file into. There should be a "Mods" folder and a "Public" folder. Navigate into Public\UniqueUniques[random garbage]\Stats\Generated\Data. The "Armor.txt", "Shield.txt", and "Weapon.txt" will be in there listing all of the changes to the game's respective items, written out in a database coding format such as

new entry "ARM_UNIQUE_ThiefGloves"
type "Armor"
using "_LightGloves"
data "ItemGroup" "ARM_UNIQUE_ThiefGloves"
data "Act part" "8"
data "ArmorBoost" "20"
data "Value" "500"
data "Movement" "50"
data "Poison" "10"
data "Piercing" "20"
data "WitsBoost" "2"
data "Sneaking" "1"
data "AccuracyBoost" "5"
data "ComboCategory" "Gloves"
data "Unique" "1"

The item names are the first line, and the names are whatever the DOS2 devs called them in their database (often not the in-game name, but many of them are self-evident). Many items are listed in the "ItemProgressionNames.txt" file, translating the item names the DOS2 devs used into the in-game names. For example, the item above, ARM_UNIQUE_ThiefGloves, is in fact the Fancy Gloves (Gloves of Acquisition). The item names also sometimes say where they are found in-game with an added abbreviation in their name: either Fort Joy (FTJ), Reaper's Coast (RC) or Arx (ARX).

Adding civil skills back

As can be seen above, this mod changes the Fancy Gloves in many ways, but what many are sad about is that the thievery is gone from this and other items. Luckily it's not too hard to add it back. (And since civil abilities don't affect combat, there's really no harm or impact to the mod balance in doing so.)

To do this for the gloves we just need to add a line to the gloves' Armor.txt entry as follows:
data "Thievery" "2"
(The "2" means +2 thievery, "1" would give +1, etc.)

So now the entry should look like this (w/ added line near the bottom):

new entry "ARM_UNIQUE_ThiefGloves"
type "Armor"
using "_LightGloves"
data "ItemGroup" "ARM_UNIQUE_ThiefGloves"
data "Act part" "8"
data "ArmorBoost" "20"
data "Value" "500"
data "Movement" "50"
data "Poison" "10"
data "Piercing" "20"
data "WitsBoost" "2"
data "Sneaking" "1"
data "Thievery" "2"
data "AccuracyBoost" "5"
data "ComboCategory" "Gloves"
data "Unique" "1"

As another example, one could change the item Saheila's Crest to add back its Lucky Charm +1 by adding the line:
add "Luck" "1"
to the ARM_UNIQUE_SaheilaSignet entry.

Just a note, since many are interested specifically in the Thievery items from act 2: they are listed in the "Armor.txt" file as ARM_UNIQUE_ThiefGloves (for Fancy Gloves), and ARM_UNIQUE_RC_LightUpperBody (for Racht Muvora). As far as I can tell, this mod doesn't change the Thievery dagger (Hunting blade) so no change is needed there.

When you're done making changes, save the edited .txt files and you can use LSLib to export an edited mod file. Note that the new mod file needs to have precisely the same name as the old mod file, so UniqueUniques[random garbled characters].pak.

So now, in the "Create Package" source path (second tab of LSLib again, but now bottom box) select the new folder you extracted the mod to originally, and give the original mod file name (with .pak extension) in the package path (again, in a separate place from the original file).

Now, weirdly, to get this to work we don't actually replace the old mod file with the new one. We put the new mod file into the DOS2 Definitive Edition "Data" folder in the steamapps directory. On my machine the location looks like this: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\Data. Paste the new .pak mod file in there directly. Note: don't paste it into the Data\Mods folder, just directly into the Data folder.

If you did it right, then when you load into the game any items you edited should reflect your changes.
Last edited by Al; 28 Mar, 2020 @ 1:26am
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Soy Story 30 Mar, 2020 @ 3:27am 
Thanks for posting this. Is there any chance of a pre-done upload available? While your efforts and explanation are excellent and appreciated, for some modders that just want to skip the effort and jump straight to it, i think a link would be amazing..!
Skunkjuice090 16 Apr, 2020 @ 5:43pm 
My man, these instructions were crystal clear until we get to this part....

"So now, in the "Create Package" source path (second tab of LSLib again, but now bottom box) select the new folder you extracted the mod to originally, and give the original mod file name (with .pak extension) in the package path (again, in a separate place from the original file)."

What does this even mean?

Source Path = the file you originally extracted to your desktop

Package path = ????

Specifically this. "and give the original mod file name (with .pak extension) in the package path (again, in a separate place from the original file)."

Is very confusing to read and understand.
Last edited by Skunkjuice090; 16 Apr, 2020 @ 5:44pm
eats2much 17 May, 2020 @ 9:43am 
Originally posted by Skunkjuice090:
My man, these instructions were crystal clear until we get to this part....

"So now, in the "Create Package" source path (second tab of LSLib again, but now bottom box) select the new folder you extracted the mod to originally, and give the original mod file name (with .pak extension) in the package path (again, in a separate place from the original file)."

What does this even mean?

Source Path = the file you originally extracted to your desktop

Package path = ????

Specifically this. "and give the original mod file name (with .pak extension) in the package path (again, in a separate place from the original file)."

Is very confusing to read and understand.

Might be too late but here goes.

Once you are done with your edits you need to use the LSLib tool to re-package the files (text files, folders, etc) back into a PAK file. It also has to be named the exact same name as the original file. The easiest way to do this is to create a new folder and drop the original, unedited PAK file into it, and then save over (overwrite) that file using the LSLib tool. I'll tell you what I did.

I created 3 folders on my desktop:
1) Unique Original
2) Unique Edit
3) Unique New

I dropped the original PAK file into both the 1) Unique Original folder and 3) Unique New folder.

I opened the LSLib tool as described above
I extracted the PAK file from 1) Unique Original into 2) Unique Edit
I edited the values in the text files in 2) Unique Edit
I then re-opened the LSLib tool and in the PAK/LSV tab went to the "Create Package" section.
For Source Path you choose the 2) Unique Edit file location.
For Package Path you navigate to the 3) Unique New file location. You will see the original, unedited PAK file there. Select it and choose "Open".
Both Source Path and Package Path should be populated now, and the Package Path location should end in .pak
Select Create Package and the job will run. Now you have overwritten the PAK file in 3) Unique New with your edits. You will know it was successful because the Date Modified will update to the current date/time.
You just need to copy that file into the location described above.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50