Tabletop Simulator

Tabletop Simulator

Neon Dawn
Trik  [developer] 15 Oct, 2018 @ 2:37pm
Current Rule Tweaks In Testing
If you are interested in the most recent rule revisions, I feel that they add a lot to the game both thematically and mechanically. Here they are! Please don't hesitate to let me know if you see anything that might need some work, or if you have ideas that might make Neon Dawn better. Feedback is always important! :)

1) Actions are no longer recharged at the start of the Round. Instead, the Acton counter is a Temperature Gauge (art will change to reflect this) that starts at 0. Each Action you take raises your Heat one step. When it's at 4 for all players, the Round ends. Round maintenance is performed and everyone pays 1 Water Ration to cool down to 0. If you do not have a Water Ration, you take 1 Wound for heat stroke or some such, and move the counter to 0. You do not have to pay a Water Ration starting the first Round this way. (Note: I think this is a thematically brilliant idea that was proposed by a play tester, so I can't take credit, but I really like it!)

2) Players may Move OR Investigate, Scout, Visit Settlement or Send Companion to Town (no Water Ration cost associated with Send Companion to Town) as an Action, as is in the current rule set.

-OR-

3) Players may spend 1 Water Ration to both Move AND Investigate, Scout, Visit Settlement or Send Companion to Town (or attack another player with PvP rules enabled) as an Action. This GREATLY increases mobility and gives players what they really want to do, which is move somewhere and do something cool, all on that turn. Move turns kinda sucked before, if I'm being honest.

4) Send Companion to Town is an Action that is always available and there is no Water Ration cost to it (unless the player wants to Move too). Player may visit 1 Location in any open Settlement with this Action.

5) When a player pawn Visits a Settlement, they may visit 2 Locations (used to be 3, this helps with game pacing and helps reduce overall play time)

6) There is no longer a Send Companion to Town phase at the end of the Round.

7) Radiation Counters are no longer cleared with a die roll at the end of a Round. Instead, they simply accumulate until you have 4, at which point a Wound is suffered and all 4 are removed. Healing at the doctor also removes Radiation Counters.

8) The Scientist Companion's "Dismantle Item" ability has been limited to a once per Round activation (because it was not just powerful with the right combination of cards, it was broken and allowed incredibly fast accumulation of Fame--faster than any other route)

Thank you for playing Neon Dawn! :)
David
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Splint Chesthair 25 Oct, 2018 @ 8:26am 
All these ideas are great, I'm definately using them. Quick idea; with these rules water is basically used to not take damage at the start of a turn, and empower your actions (Something I enjoy a ton), however death currrently only means losing water. I find this a little underwhelming as a consequence. Consider that you take a point of damage from not having any water and then die. When you die you lose all your water, but since you had none to begin with you essentially just spawn at a differen tile. Sure you could lose progress to whatever you were doing on the tile you died on, but other than that there's little consequence. In the last game I played I tried losing a single point of fame with each death, and it helped a little. But I'll look into other options as well. Thanks for all your work!
Splint Chesthair 25 Oct, 2018 @ 8:32am 
Another thought: with the timing change of sendign a companion to a settlement a friend proposed flipping the companion card upside down when this action was used until the end of the turn. When the companion card was flipped, it's bonuses wern't used. There was a little more record keepign with this (especially if the companion effected your bonuses/dice size) but I liked the idea and it worked well. Another idea that was naturally proposed during this conversation was that the 'errand' you sent your companion on didn't resolve until the end turn as well (again to symbolize the time your companion was travelling). This one again increases record keeping, but I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks!
Trik  [developer] 30 Oct, 2018 @ 8:34pm 
Thanks for playing Neon Dawn and sharing your thoughts! I tried to remove punishment from death to prevent people from over conservative play. There is a lot of fun in taking the big risks, and many people are risk adverse if the consequences seem harsh.

That said, I like the idea of losing one Fame on a death. They are fairly uncommon if you're trying to avoid death, and 1 Fame doesn't seem terrible (although it is pretty harsh). I'm definitely interested in any additional thoughts or feedback you have! Thank you! :)
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Per page: 1530 50