Source Filmmaker

Source Filmmaker

Sans (Undertale)
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Pipann  [developer] 14 Jul, 2016 @ 8:54am
Questions & Answers
Hey guys, here are the answers to some of the questions I've been receiving a lot. Check back every so often, as more questions and answers may be added over time.

Q&A (updated 19-5-2021)
  • Q: What software do you use?
  • A: 3ds Max, Wall Worm Tools, and Photoshop.

• Q: Will you make <character>?
  • A: I do not currently take any requests.

• Q: Are you going to release your models outside of SFM/Gmod?
  • A: I used to be against this idea, but now I have! They're all available as fbx files downloadable from my deviantART![www.deviantart.com]

• Q: Will you make a playermodel of <character> in Gmod?
  • A: That would be DaRealUser's department!

• Q: <model> is too large/small!
  • A: I always go by the metric system when I size my models (it's easier for me). What I think is fine might differ for you. Fortunately, SFM and Gmod both have their respective resize tools. Feel free to make use of them. ;)

• Q: Do you take requests/commissions?
  • A: I do not currently take requests, but commissions have been in deep consideration lately. I want to build up more experience before I start accepting any.

• Q: Pipann, will you be my friend?
  • A: If I already know you, sure! If you're a stranger, maybe take the time to know me better first. I prefer to keep my friends list reserved to actual friends. :)

• Q: Why is there a note attached to your models?
  • A: The idea of the ReadMe note originated from a pretty heavy conflict between me and an animation company in early 2017, in which they attempted to make commercial profit off of artists' models from the steam workshop without consent, including mine. Nowadays I don't really care for that note anymore, so you can just ignore what it says.

• Q: How do I hide the ReadMe note so I can start using your model?
  • A: The note can be found under bodygroups and is fairly easy to get rid of. If you're having trouble though, check out this quick video I made on how to hide it here.

• Q: What happened to the old ToS?
  • A: That's right! It's gone! I've decided to release all my SFM models as fbx files on my deviantART and the old ToS has been rendered invalid. There are still new terms to follow, but they exist purely for legal reasons (don't wanna get in trouble with the fan models) and are less demanding.

• Q: Is the ReadMe note still there?
  • A: They're still there in the old SFM workshop items. They'll remain there, because I have no plans to update the files. The notes will not be there in the new fbx releases.

• Q: You finally released your models publicly without restrictions? Why now?
  • A: To encapsulate it in a single word: closure. TL;DR is I want to start a new chapter in my 3D adventures, and it wouldn't be right if I don't make up for the drama I've caused by being overly defensive with my old 3D stuff. I am content with closing the old chapter off in this way.

If you need to know anything else, you can always leave a comment below.
Last edited by Pipann; 19 May, 2021 @ 9:46am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 85 comments
¥ 0 ¥ 0 23 Jul, 2016 @ 3:32pm 
I read your ToS/Rules page and I have a question about it.
I've been using your Sans model as a base for artwork and posters possibly for future use in a fan-made video game. We don't have any plans of making money off this title but I would like to know if this is okay with you and whether or not you would like to be credited for this.
The community for the game is here and you can check it out if you wish: https://plus.google.com/communities/102282922400327488393
If you have any questions about the usage or your work for this game, please ask me
Pipann  [developer] 23 Jul, 2016 @ 10:31pm 
Artwork derived off my material should be fine (that is imagery like the icons in one of the posts), but there will be a problem when you actually start using the model for purposes it wasn't intended for. Proper credit is always nice, but...

I've been looking at this game via your community and I'm not seeing any gameplay footage at all. So I really cannot tell what is right or wrong. Will the game actually make use of the models it obtained? If so, then this is where the issue would arise if Sans makes it into the game.

There's also the question of which engine the game will use. This obviously isn't a case of SFM, and I don't know if Garry's Mod can support this kind of brawl-esque gameplay.

I'm also a tad disappointed that all of this was only brought to my attention after he was leaked by someone, by accident, of all things.

I'll have to see actual footage of this game before I can be of any judge, but here's a few suggestions to prevent yourself from getting in trouble. There are a few other Sans models out there on the workshop. You could ask their creators for use (just make sure you ask this time before you do anything else), or you can recruit artists to model a new one for you, assuming that they'll willingly do such a thing for free. This isn't likely if you're looking for professionalism, though.

I hope that answers your question. I'll look forward to a response.

Diokat 21 Aug, 2016 @ 10:23am 
quick question: if i can port it to Gmod myself ( the effect way, not with physics ), am i still allowed to make art with it as long as i dont upload it to the workshop?
Pipann  [developer] 21 Aug, 2016 @ 11:36am 
If people request a Gmod port enough, I will discuss it with DaRealUser. Normally characters get ported either way, but if anyone wants to see other things like props ported, feel free to request it.

Personally speaking, things get confusing for me if people port for personal use and don't tell me and I find out, as I won't know if they just ported it for themselves or if they downloaded it from some fishy site. But yes, you may port something for personal use as long as you agree never to upload or share it. But we would still really prefer it if you simply ask and wait for a port to be created by DaRealUser.

If you still choose to port, however, I will really appreciate it you let me know before you do. It'll prevent a lot of confusion and possible misunderstandings. :)
Diokat 21 Aug, 2016 @ 11:43am 
alrighty, well i attempted to port Alphys the effect way, but the model of herself was invisible ( so it didnt work ) but i did get the glasses, so i guess that means ill just have to wait for DaRealUsers port ( hope its soon! ) x3
Pipann  [developer] 21 Aug, 2016 @ 12:47pm 
Originally posted by Diokat Poivron:
alrighty, well i attempted to port Alphys the effect way, but the model of herself was invisible ( so it didnt work ) but i did get the glasses, so i guess that means ill just have to wait for DaRealUsers port ( hope its soon! ) x3
No worries. I sent him the files yesterday :)
¥ 0 ¥ 0 23 Aug, 2016 @ 11:39am 
@Pipann
The Sans model is only being used for minor artwork (Will only be viewable in the gallery) The model itself is not being used in-game since the game is 16-bit (Like SSF2). The model is being used as a base for the character icon as well. We credit everyone that did even a tad bit of anything for the game, your model is only seen in the gallery and the character icon based off of your model, nothing major, only minor things, Sans is not 100% confirmed yet so if you're not okay with the use of your model in our game, it's no big problem for us.
¥ 0 ¥ 0 23 Aug, 2016 @ 11:41am 
@Pipann
Also sorry for just bringing this up now, we try to keep the unrevealed characters as secret as possible even if they aren't 100% in, but now that he was leaked, it's already out there
Pipann  [developer] 23 Aug, 2016 @ 12:33pm 
@Moskyeto, In that case you're perfectly fine. :)

I'm curious to see to see more of your game!
HadestheShoe 17 Sep, 2016 @ 6:22am 
I know this may be a weird question, but im curious, are you in any way related to Peter Rabbit/The Easter Bunny
Pipann  [developer] 17 Sep, 2016 @ 6:28am 
No, unfortunately. x) I'm just a crazy bunny lady.
HadestheShoe 17 Sep, 2016 @ 6:44am 
aww man!!! X>
HadestheShoe 17 Sep, 2016 @ 2:48pm 
Question: Do you know how to get the blockieness off the character. Example http://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=696237046
Last edited by HadestheShoe; 17 Sep, 2016 @ 2:56pm
Pipann  [developer] 18 Sep, 2016 @ 12:32am 
Originally posted by (G.E.W.P)TheThirdLion///:
Question: Do you know how to get the blockieness off the character. Example http://steamproxy.net/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=696237046

The blockiness is often caused by poor use of lighting. Here is the solution. It's the first reply in the topic. http://steamproxy.net/app/1840/discussions/0/864958088333343996/

Good luck. :)
HadestheShoe 18 Sep, 2016 @ 1:56am 
thanks sir
< >
Showing 1-15 of 85 comments
Per page: 1530 50